11 Whitby Fishermen in court for 58 breaches of fishery rules.

Guest jay_con

Hi Wurzel,

We are all subjected to laws, some seem a total nonsense but they are there to be followed.

If you don't then it's not the law thats an ass it is the person that breaks them.

We had to withdraw several hundred ponds of garden chemicals that last year we could sell, this year we cannot. We receive no compensation just a directorate to stop selling them.

If we choose to ignore that and we get caught the fines are extreemly high.

I think these laws are stupid, but they are laws and we have a choice whether to follow or ignor.

It's no different from speeding, we all do it in varing degrees at times and if we get caught we have no one to blame other than ourselves.

I fish, I catches a few, I lose a few, BUT I enjoys. Anglers Trust PM

eat.gif

http://www.petalsgardencenter.com

Petals Florist

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi Norm,

The chemical laws are not exactly enforced, list of banned products are sent to all retail outlets and they rely on people removing them.

There are times when people choose to ignor them and get caught, it would be impossible to police every outlet.

The same applies to fishermen and there are those who know the chances of getting caught are slim because of the number of people on the ground checking. This lot have come unstuck and the full weight of the law should apply then the rest will think twice.

eat.gif

Petals Florist

Norm B

The problem is if the laws were inforced there would not be any commercial fishermen,

Steve is right, they should have stricly enforced the quotas from the start 20 years ago, there would have been a French style riot, but then pahaps a better and more fair system would have evolvled, and that applies for all Europe.

I fish to live and live to fish.

Guest stevie cop

I'm not saying it's right to break the law, just that we must all have a clear idea of what the law actually is. I know that might sound like a daft statement, given that the quotas are set out in black and white, but it's the enforcement that I'm on about.

It would be impossible for me to do my job if I adhered to all the health and safety regulations. My employers have to "enforce" the H&S regulations BY LAW. They know full well that we can't abide by the regulations when we are working, so they turn a blind eye. It's only when things go tits up that they start asking questions. Then it's always us to blame for ignoring the H&S regulations.

So who is breaking the law? Me, or my employers?

quotas are only needed because certain groups are so feckin greedy they would take a whole resource for themselves if they could get away with it. :mad: :mad:

Davy

"Skate Anglers Have Bigger Tackle"

Hi Wurzel,

A law is a law, I used speeding as an example of something we all break at sometime, some get caught some get away with it. You cannot police every mile of road in the country and it is impossible to check every haul of fish.

I honestly don't know how fair the quotas are, and from what your saying if you stuck to them no fish would be landed.

Perhaps that is a route fishermen should have gone, one or two weeks with out fish would have brought it sharply to every ones attention.

Some times you can use the law to force change and this seems from what you to be one of those times.

Steve your employers are breaking the law and if it goes pear shape your name will be the one put in the frame.

I was on a site one day where a crane driver made a lift under directions and a man was killed, he was just as guilty as those who told him to do it. I have seen other cases where the crane driver said no way and there was nothing anyone could do about it.

Again it is quite simple H&S laws are made to protect people and should be obeyed by all concerened.

eat.gif

Petals Florist

Guest jay_con

The worrying thing is that the investigation period is said to be only 11 weeks. The sums of money and amount of fish involved are apparently quite high for such a short period of time.