New Yak

Guest Flybynight

Guest Flybynight

I've got the (not very) new car so I can carry a yak. Now I have to buy the yak itself. I have decided to get an OK Malibu 2 (not the XL - on advice from the shop: apparently hard to manouevre alone and hard to lift onto the car). Hoping to pick up in 2 weeks.

So, I am going to get it from Bournemouth Canoes, given the good write up someone else gave them from here - and they have said it will definitely be an NZ constructed version.

I have asked the shop to fit rod holders and they suggested a rod and paddle clip to go along the side. They wouldn't put on a depth finder though as they don't sell them (fine as I don't know what I want yet: fantastic spec, with GPS, make your breakfast, etc - for £30 say :D ). Still - I am going to need to re-read that thread that includes instructions on how to set that up...any other comments now before I get into that?

I'm going to get some cargo netting which apparently I can thread over the front area with existing ring fittings - to hold the usual trip extras. And they are fitting one hatch, with mesh net under it - not sure where exactly. Maybe I should get another without any kind of holder as well? Where should these be located?

Is there anything else I need to think about getting fitted by them, given that I am not very practical and the pictures on anglers-afloat look as they need some advanced DIY skills? Any special directions I should give to the shop for the fitting?

Many thanks

FBN

• Replies 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi FBN.

Congratulations on your purchase. I'm hoping to get down to Bournemouth Canoes myself this week to pick up some bits.

My advice would be to hold off rigging the kayak for the moment and get out there and have a paddle or two first. Then start to work out where you want things to go.

My own approach has been to sort out the safety gear first, practice reentries, build up paddling experience so I know how weather & tide affects the kayak & me at sea. It's only now that I am paying attention to fishing and rigging.

Paddle clips - this is something I need to look into. At the moment I simply hold the paddle by trapping a paddle blade under the front hatch straps. There are some paddle straps I am interested in buying which are available in the US. By using straps on the side of the kayak I could use it to hold my beachcaster and tripod should I choose to use the kayak to ferry my gear over to the more remote shore marks (eg Hurst Castle - The Hole, Chesil Beach - Bridging Camp, Lulworth Cove - Mupe Bay/ Durdle Door). If I put my mind to it I'm sure I could make my own straps.

If you read over project instructions at Anglers Afloat you may see that the procedures there are fairly straight forward. They've always been helpful when I've ask them for advice (thanks Starvin )

Kaskazi Dorado - Yellow

FBN,

I'll be interested in seeing how your Malibu2 rigging works out.....it was one of the factors why I decided to go with the Prowler13 instead.

Arriving tomorrow hopefully....pleeeeeease

.....I'm like a dog with two thingies...... :)

I must I must improve my bust ....... for paddling strength of course :)

And of course I'll leave rods ashore first time out, but they'll probably be in the car .....just in case :D

Guest Flybynight

Thanks everyone...good point about the saftey kit. It did occur to me that a few bits on that front would be a good idea. Some flares at least? A first aid kit perhaps? Anything else?

The problem with leaving the rigging is that I then have to do it myself...which I am really not confident about. If I get the shop to do it, at least I have some come back if they screw it up. And they've said that the fitting is free if I buy the bits from them - which is fine by me. I know that I will really struggle to get time to have a go - plus my efforts with basic tools are really not fantastic. The thought of trying to cut a circle with a jig saw...just isn't going to happen.

But it is a risk getting them to do it... The guy I talked to seemed to think that the position of the rod holders was almost a no brainer on this model. In the middle but still out of the way of the paddlers arms. Hope he's right!

Don't get me wrong by the way... I really like the anglers afloat site - just know from painful history that I am not actually very good at that stuff. And as I would need it to work then I'm happy to let someone who does know what they are doing get it right for me.

Cheers

FBN

PS Just got to decide on colour...I think that will be the wife's part of the decision

Hi f.b.n.

Re the safety kit, Starvin has done a great job of putting a list on Anglers Afloat, be good to go and read it, carefully.

The rigging, Im sure the guys at Bournemouth will let you try the Yak for a while before fitting your bits for you.

Try the Kayak out first, and see exactly where you want your Flushmounts etc.

Sit in her and pretend to fish,imagine reaching for kit etc,will your wife be out with you most times ??

Guest Flybynight

Hi Yak,

No - mostly I'll be by myself, but... this is a compromise (like so much in my life I've noticed...) so have to be able to carry more than just me. That's fine though - someone I carry (wife, kids, mates) might get the bug perhaps?

I will indeed read that list. I know I will need some solid extras. When I think of the kayaking I did as a pretty young kid with no protection and no back up at all. Those were different times though - things have changed and not all for the bad.

The problem with the rigging is that I live in N London, and even now, trying to find a day to get down to Bournemouth once to pick up the yak is bad enough, but twice isn't going to happen any time soon. Which means I think I just have to bite the bullet and take the risk. Not ideal - but then...I will at least get a Yak which I am very keen to do. Next problem: finding a free day and a nice calm water to go and try it out. Through London Bridge one lunch time perhaps?

Cheers

FBN

Hi F.b.n.

O.k. then, go to the Ocean site, write down the measurments of your Yak, and draw it out on the floor with string,measure off the cockpit area too, inside.

Sit in the outline and then pretend to fish, may not be 100% accurate, but better than a blind guess maybe ?

Then give the measurements to Bounemouth Canoes for fitting.

yy :)

Hi FBN,

The Malibu II is a great Yak, take your time over the rigging, the hatches I think there are three moulded areas designed to be cut out and rubber covers fitted, 2 round and one oval I believe, very easy to use when out paddling, do put anything that you want to remain dry into a watertight container or dry bag though as no hatch is 100% watertight.

Rigging wise take a look at the Rhynobar link on AnglersAfloat, might give you some ideas for doing something similar or telling someone else how to do something similar. :)

If your in North London, where are you hoping to fish, I work in Central London, but live in Hampshire, if you want to meet up one weekend for a paddle on the southcoast give me a shout.

SM

http://www.anglersafloat.co.uk

Kayaks: Ocean Kayak Caper (Sunrise)

Ocean Kayak Scupper Pro

Ocean Kayak Malibu 2 XL (Sunrise)

Ocean Kayak Trident 15

Wilderness Systems Tarpon 140 Angler (Yellow)

Malibu Mini-X

A member of B.A.S.S www.ukbass.com