A big hello to you yakkers

gus

Hello there just a quick note to say hello.

I was given the site address by yakity yac several weeks ago and have just got on.

I have read loads of you threads and is very informative.I fish from my kayak to with some good results but not to your level.

I would appreciate as much help with fitting out my kayak and tips on how,where and when to.

I hope you guys might be able to help

gus. :D

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi Gus.

Welcome to the Madhouse, and Anglers Net. :D

Its always nice to meet another Kayak Fisherman.

What Kayak do you have Gus?

Will help for rigging ideas etc :)

Where are you based mate?

Im down here in Devon ( EXMOUTH )we have guys fishing from Kayaks covering a large area of the country now, and on Jersey.C.I.

The idea of fishing from a Yak is catching on, more and more people are getting interested. which is realy nice to see.

This year will see the numbers grow even more I hope.

We are all Newbies here, but try to share what we do know with others, and hope it helps.

We are very keen on safety issues and like to think we are getting it right.

Look forward to your posts and pictures.

Enjoy the ride.

yy :)

Gus,

Im putting a few pics up of my rig, if you see any ideas you like, pinch them.....I did :D

Will give you an idea on rigging.

But rigging your Kayak will depend on how you like to fish, and where you want to put things for yourself.

You can see from these pics,my gear is behind me, personaly, I like a clear cockpit area, after all, thats where the work takes place.

In the beer crate, at the back of the seat ( covered with high vis material) I keep my lure, and tackle boxes,a bait cutting board with knife attatched, and other bits and bobs.

The pipe work is to put the rods in while trolling, keep the net in there too.

Some of the guys dont bother with a net, but when you have a Bass flapping around in your lap, or between your legs, those spines go deep, so the net does help to get control of your fish.

You may be able to see that from the pipe work there are some coiled leashes, these clip to the rods, so IF you go over, the rods stay with the Yak and dont sink to the bottom.

I keep the trolly at the back too.

Next to the crate, along side,are two flushmount rod holders, easey to fit.

There is also one on the starboard side 3/4 up front.

Handy to put the rod in when dealing with a fish,or when paddling back for another drift.

You need to think about keeping things out of way of the paddle stroke !!!

I have put a pully system on the side of the Yak, for use with the anchor.

There are Bow and Stern ropes, on the ends of the ropes I have put some thick bungee cord, this takes the shock out of any snatch when tied off on somthing.

The Yellow bucket at the rear, is for putting live bait in.

So.....there you have it, its a start :D .....hope it helps you a little.

crate3.jpg

YY:)

[ 08. May 2005, 06:34 PM: Message edited by: Yakity - Yak - u.k. ]