Prowler 13 idea.

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hmmm, I can see I'm going to have to give this some thought.

My plan was to put the fishfinder on the front mount, just before the front hatch, but I wasn't sure about what to do with a GPS.

I like the look of the Scotty triple rod holder that could fit in the front mount, and that could take the fishfinder and GPS.

What I noticed on Friday was:

1. how much dripping I was getting into the tackle box area while the front mount was pretty dry

2. how useful having tackle in the right place was, i.e. between your legs :)

So that made me think my original plan was good.

But it would be a bit awkward and maybe hard to see having the fishinder and GPS at your toes, and a setup like the picture would be pretty handy........

I bought a couple of cheap toolboxes from B&Q that fit into the baitwell fairly well so I can get all my gear into them, but I'd still like to get a bigger box between my legs!

Spanner,

only problem with putting the Finder on a Scotty Triple Mount is storing, or carrying the yak on a roof rack, you would have to be able to remove the Mount which would mean a break in the cables, if you are fitting a Humminbird Finder they advise against this.

You should also be storing your kayak on it's side or upside down. :)

I don't like to have too bigger box between my legs.

http://www.anglersafloat.co.uk

Kayaks: Ocean Kayak Caper (Sunrise)

Ocean Kayak Scupper Pro

Ocean Kayak Malibu 2 XL (Sunrise)

Ocean Kayak Trident 15

Wilderness Systems Tarpon 140 Angler (Yellow)

Malibu Mini-X

A member of B.A.S.S www.ukbass.com

Starvin,

I'm storing the yak on its side in the garage, and upside down on the roofrack in transit.

I don't follow your comment about the Scotty mount.

If I bolt the Humminbird mount (its a Matrix17) directly to the yak, I unplug the cable and remove the fishfinder leaving the whole tilt & swivel mount attached.

If I mount it on the Scotty I can still unplug the finder but I can also take off the triple rack and just leave the baseplate, which is actually smaller and lower profile than the Humminbird mount, so less likely to get damaged.

Plus I can fit the GPS to it, and a rod holder, and all with only 1 set of holes in the yak.

That's actually the only bit that worries me though, if it going to be too much load all on one mount it might flex a little too much. It might be better to stick with a single item per mount, and worry about more rod holders when I have done a little more fishing.

I need to get the fishfinder and GPS mounted to get the rods into action, or and in case the haar rolls in. I carry a hillwalking compass as well, just in case.

The cables on the Humminbird are permanently fixed to the base, allowing the Display to be removed easily. If your cable run goes through your hull to the transducer and battery, you will need to have a break in the cables to allow you to remove the Scotty mount from it's base when transporting.

If you are just passing the cables under the hatch you will be fine. :)

Ocean Kayak Scupper Pro

Ocean Kayak Trident 15

Malibu Mini-X

Starvin ..... ahh the penny drops. I hadn't twigged that the plug is fixed into the mount as I haven't actually mounted it yet.

It is still in the box waiting on me figuring out where & how to mount it, but I think I have that sorted now, I've just placed an order with RAM.

Damn those feindishly cunning people. Due to their ingenuity I've been forced to buy a couple of rod mounts and a camera mount to go with the FF and GPS mount..... so I'll have 7 interchangable mounting points

I'll be able to leave the FF and GPS cables & mounting brackets attached to the arm mounts. Then I can stick a bag over them and fold them down out of harms way for transport.

Mutts nutts I hope :D

Sounds good, nearly bought a mount for my GPS yesterday, but those feinds make you buy a cradle, arm, and adaptor, nearly £30, so have nearly decided to use the standard marine mount for £21... nearly, those RAM mounts do look nice. Did you go for RAM, or RAP parts, Metal or Plastic?

Ocean Kayak Scupper Pro

Ocean Kayak Trident 15

Malibu Mini-X

Doh ....

Seems RAM were too damn feindish for my tiny mind, or in my eagerness I didn't pay enough attention to ball sizes. Always very inportant to consider the size of your balls I think....

Anyway, it all arrived and I realised that the mounts for fishfinder/GPS were 1" balls while the rodholders were 1.5". Damn, not so interchangable after all, and I had to change some of the mounts to 1.5". Still I 'll end up with 2 adjustable rodholders with 4 mounting points, and 3 adjustable mounts for FF,GPS and camera.

By the way Starvinmarvin, I got the RAM GPS mount for £20 from here

http://www.globalpositioningsystems.co.uk

Unfortunately that got me started on the rest of RAM. That and the fact the swivel mount supplied with my FishFinder was too big for the recess I wanted to mount it in, so oviously I had to go the whole hog :)