Prowler 13 How much water in hull

***oLLy***

Well done for contacting Johnson Outdoors YY.

Andrews quick and comprehensive reply is very impressive: looks good for the future. Perhaps Johnson could help support this forum by placing ads on Anglersnet, and maybe even have someone look in now and again , to answer technical questions.

Congratulations on the P13 Spanner! :D , what do you think of it after the first trip? Where did you launch from?

Help predict climate change!

http://climateprediction.net

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Johnson Outdoors have been very supportive from the outset and were the first importer to recognise the needs of kayak fishermen in the UK. Without their help and support over the past 2 years AnglersAfloat would not have been possible.

Elton should give them a call.

http://www.anglersafloat.co.uk

Kayaks: Ocean Kayak Caper (Sunrise)

Ocean Kayak Scupper Pro

Ocean Kayak Malibu 2 XL (Sunrise)

Ocean Kayak Trident 15

Wilderness Systems Tarpon 140 Angler (Yellow)

Malibu Mini-X

A member of B.A.S.S www.ukbass.com

Couldnt agree more Starvin they are very supportive.

We in turn need to support them, by keeping them up to speed on whats happening out here.

If I were selling a product that was having problems, Id want to know about it pretty darn quick.

I reckon Anglers Afloat was made possible via Anglers Net too....dont you?

You can not supply the needs of people, unless your in touch with them.

[ 16. May 2005, 02:57 PM: Message edited by: Yakity - Yak - u.k. ]

Cheers Jaffa.

Your point about Johnson Outdoors is a good one.

It would be nice to think they would help out here.

After all, there have been a lot of sales leading from Anglers Net and this forum, with people entering the sport from here.

When the Tournament was being tossed around, Andrew was very helpfull, offering Banners, prizes etc through the sales outlets.

So I reckon he may be up for helping us all here, and giving a little back to Anglers Net.

Make the call Elton:D

[ 16. May 2005, 03:04 PM: Message edited by: Yakity - Yak - u.k. ]

Hi. All

In touch with Andrew at Johnson's today very helpful and informative in respect to NZ V US yaks as detailed in Bills email response seemed also concerned about fixing screws in the handles(some have 4 some have 2),anyway have got 2 new prowlers coming friday, so they will drop off and pick up same time. He did say that as a temp repair you could get a big dollop of sealant on your finger and wipe it round the scupper hole but how long it would last for I dont know.I agree with jaffa that someone from johnson's on the forum would be very helpfull

Good news Olly.

Roll on Friday, :D cant beat that for service.

I spoke to Simon at Bournemouth Canoes today.

He hasnt had any problems with the Prowler 13s that he has sent out.

He has said he will be checking the Kayaks before they leave the shop now.

Proberbly just a bad lot thats got through the net, for what ever reason.

Yakity, Jaffa,

Yep, real nice feeling, helped by the fact that it was really nice day, nice and calm, light breeze and sunny, sunhat & shades all afternoon :)

I launched at Cove harbour, just south of Aberdeen. I picked that to avoid any surf and its all of 10 yards from the car to the water, plus I know the rock marks around there. Well I thought I did but seeing them from water opened up a whole new aspect.

The stealth aspect of the yak was very noticeable, the kittwakes, razorbills and guillemots only took flight when I was really close, and the shoals of tiny sprat (or sandeels) didn't scatter until I pulled lures through. Pity nothing else was chasing them either.....

Without anything else to compare it to I found the Prowler13 great, like a duck to water you could say.

I was impressed with the stability, I actually climbed off to tip it as kneeling on one side and rocking didn't tip it and the water was too cold to fancy a headlong dive and a whack on the head if I stood up to try it!

Self rescue was not quite what I expected. OK say to flip it back over using the scupper holes but I found it difficuly to get a good enough grip that way. I just leaned right over and grabbed the rigging line, much easier and I'm definitely glad they are fitted as standard.

Paddling was fine, easier than I expected to keep straight on course, and seemed quick enough to me. I covered at least 3 miles up and down and the only problem was my left shoulder feeling like it was doing more work than my right....nothing to do with the yak but a dislocated shoulder a couple of years ago in a bike accident.

I was also comfortable enough with the handling to explore some pretty tight spaces, caves and gaps in the rocks etc, scuttling through when there was enough water to make it through.

I even sat the kids in my lap and paddled round the harbour, much to their glee! So that'll keep them happy in the summer, no need for tandem after all.

All in all I'm well chuffed :)

I spoke to some some divers coming out as I was launching and they commented on the poor visibility due to mix of plankton and algal bloom. So that probably didn't help my efforts at fishing as I only took a few jigs just to play with.

I'm itching to get the fishinder rigged up now so I can see what the hell I'm fishing over, and hopefully where the fish are hiding, not to mention the divers :) There's definitely some good reefs judging by the eddys and boils, and the fact that bottom was going up and down all over the place.

Nice trip report spanner.

" My choices in life were either to be a piano player in a whore house or a politician. And to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference!" - Harry Truman, 33rd US President

Hi Spanner.

Very nice report mate.

I was out there with you at one point while reading :D

From your discription, you fish a lovely spot, with some interesting ground.

You sound like one very happy Chappy :)

Pleased the little ones enjoyed thier ride.

Realy happy for you, and look forward to some more reports, with a pic or two.

YY :)

Thanks for posting the response from Johnson Outdoors YY and I suspect Starvin , and a late response to your comment about overfilling, I have to say I agree with you some of the way but and I state this is not a knock at you or your logic I understand they are built to withstand Pressure from the outside but surely if there is a weakness in the seams: for example in the bunghole (ooer missus) either because of moulding misalignment or the seam has'nt been sealed then it is still a weakness please correct me if i'm wrong.

As for the fexibilty of the P13 I have to say I would be a bit concerned, my 15 is as rigid as a rock and thats with 15 stone bobbing around on it, Logic says that over a time your going to stretch the plastic to a point where your going to buckle or even crease the top half of the hull not to mention the fact that the thickness of the hull undeneath will be thinning in the process.

Again please correct me if i'm wrong.

I'm sure that quite a few of us want OK to do well and remain the top toppers because we know the quality yaks they can turn out, we only want it to remain that way.

Forgot to mention superb job on the hatch Yakity very nice.

[ 16. May 2005, 08:27 PM: Message edited by: Prowler ]

Photo Gallery

If life is one big joke, I just dont get it.

Sunrise Caper

Sunrise Venus

Sky Blue Prowler 15