Anchor or Milk carton???

Zzippy

Thanks for your input on this subject everyone.

There was a lot of good advice there :)

I purchased 30 meters of cord today and filled a 2 and 4 pint milk carton with sand.The 2 pint weighs 5lb and the 4 weighs 8.5lb :confused:

I am off fishing with Specimen tomorrow so I will let you all know how much they slow the drift down.

I will try it out in about 20ft of water.The forecast looks good,just hope the fish are about.

Many thanks

Mark

zzippy2.gif

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Zzip - do yourself a favor and make sure there is at least a short length of chain attached to the anchor and the rope attached to the chain. Makes an amazing difference in how well the anchor holds if the chain is dragging so you know the anchor is firmly on the bottom.

" My choices in life were either to be a piano player in a whore house or a politician. And to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference!" - Harry Truman, 33rd US President

Hi guys,

right, i'm loaded for bear! Now whose going to take me on - no 2 buckshot in the right and a rifled slug in the left. Where are those snotty yachties bothering Sam Cox. :P

Simon Everett

Staffordshire.

Fishing kayaks:

White& Orange Dorado

Olive Scupper Pro

Yellow Prowler Elite

Touring kayaks

Red White Skua

White & Orange Duo

Yakity - Yak - u.k.:

Should the anchor get stuck, you can snatch the cord, breaking the cable tie, which means you lift the anchor from the top, closing the tiegns.

Try breaking the cable tie deliberately before you get stuck. You might be surprised how difficult it is to break a tie and it would be a pity to go to all that trouble and still lose an anchor. I use the same method on my Trophy, with three turns of very light cord (almost string) instead of cable tie. With four turns, its impossible to break out with a 160hp diesel and duoprop outdrive. I know cos I've tried...luckily the snag broke before anything else did.

And I agree with the anchor scope comment - you can get away with 2x in very light wind/tide, 3x is minimum, and if it was a yacht/powerboat you would be talking 3x for chain and 5x for nylon warp.

East Hampshire Boat Anglers www.boat-angling.co.uk

Yakity - Yak - u.k.:

Hi Salar.

The cable ties are very thin low guage ones, the sort used for car wiring looms, easy to break out.

Perhaps I should have been clearer    :D  

forgot to say......tried and tested

I bought a 3lb anchor 2 days ago,I set it up the way you sugested Yakity.It works a treat :)

It was tested today and got snagged,The cable ties broke and up came the anchor.

Thanks for the advice.

Mark

zzippy2.gif