West Solent Report

SpeciMan

Managed to get up in time to catch the ebbing tide(L/W 9:20) from Keyhaven (near Milford Shingle Bank) and paddled up along the Keyhaven channel to where it meets the solent (and close to the end of Hurst Spit).

Not being best prepared with bait & tackle I first fished where the keyhaven channel meets the solent.

Baits - a few mackeral, a couple of token frozen sandeel

Tackle - 1 ounce ball weight - 3ft hooklength - size 1 & 1/0 hooks

I drifted there for a bit no bites and too much weed. Baits were being hidden by weed within seconds of being in the water. Sad

Spotted the Pennington marsh sewarage pipe and headed up to the end marker to try there. No such luck. Went inshore to have a look at features whilst the tide was low and had lunch. Lots of rocks to the left of the sewerage pipe would make for snaggy rough ground fishing. Have never fished from the shore here but could have potential. Lots of twitchers down there this morning.

Wind slackend off to almost a very light breeze for a while. I paddled up & then drifted very slowly for an hour or so near the Hole shore mark. A guy was fishing from the shore near the castle and bringing in much weed.

A few boats were also trolling up there near me (presumably for bass).

Too much weed again at this spot & no bites. A few fish did break surface (mackeral/garfish?) but had no feathers with me.

Will go back there with live sandeel when the weed is not so bad.

After midday headed back to Keyhaven with gentle incoming tide.

Kaskazi Dorado - Yellow

Smoothhound are starting to come in now but theres so much weed. Haven't heard too much on the bass side of things but some are around. I may make a bait tank but will use a bait bucket for the moment when I go for them.

Kaskazi Dorado - Yellow

I have never fished for Smoothhound, that would be a laugh from the Yak :D

How will you go about targeting them, drifting?,or at anchor,? what bait/baits will you use?

There is a patch along the coast from us that is supposed to produce a few, might have a look one day/night.

[ 15. May 2005, 08:02 PM: Message edited by: Yakity - Yak - u.k. ]

Went for a paddle off Hayling Island this morning, never seen so much weed, stayed out an hour or so, like you Specimen, as soon as the bait hit bottom, covered in weed... I'll take my rake next time try and clear it up a bit. :D

Waste of Rag Worm really, least I got out for paddle, amazingly the only thing that didn't get covered in weed was my Anchor, maybe I should have fished with a bigger hook. :D

http://www.anglersafloat.co.uk

Kayaks: Ocean Kayak Caper (Sunrise)

Ocean Kayak Scupper Pro

Ocean Kayak Malibu 2 XL (Sunrise)

Ocean Kayak Trident 15

Wilderness Systems Tarpon 140 Angler (Yellow)

Malibu Mini-X

A member of B.A.S.S www.ukbass.com

Smoothhound will be great fun from a kayak. :)

I will drift for them until I sort out an anchor system. The solent area is well known for them. Places like Lepe are recognised smoothhound venues and further east you have Selsey and Pagham. Part of the reason I bought a kayak was for the smooothhound. I can get to some decent marks close inshore which shore anglers don't have access to.

As for bait, some shore anglers swear by peeler crabs, others use hermits which are becoming more scarce in some parts as there's a shortage of whelk shells!.

From the ones I've caught they've come in on large king rag. Some boat anglers use hardbacks too.

The spider crabs bring in the smoothhound close inshore. I'd like to experiment with them as bait this year -- I can always make crab soup if it all goes wrong :D:D

Lymington annual shore comp was on yesterday (at Milford area, west solent)with a number of smoothies up to 9lb being weighed in. Still a bit early. There should be good sport from them this year.

[ 15. May 2005, 09:31 PM: Message edited by: Speciman ]

Kaskazi Dorado - Yellow

Starvin, the weed could be a bit of problem for us this summer!

I don't think the Poole Bay area is affected as much as the Solent region. Zzippy and I hope to be out there on Tuesday after the plaice and bream. Will let everyone how we get on.

Kaskazi Dorado - Yellow

I was going to write something sensible but your two Homers bobbing up and down started me chuckling, so I'm giving up and going to catch a train... in the rain. :)

http://www.anglersafloat.co.uk

Kayaks: Ocean Kayak Caper (Sunrise)

Ocean Kayak Scupper Pro

Ocean Kayak Malibu 2 XL (Sunrise)

Ocean Kayak Trident 15

Wilderness Systems Tarpon 140 Angler (Yellow)

Malibu Mini-X

A member of B.A.S.S www.ukbass.com

Yup. With Speciman bobbing and you blinking, things get real busy.

" My choices in life were either to be a piano player in a whore house or a politician. And to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference!" - Harry Truman, 33rd US President

Try drifting quietly at night over shallow flats near shore with peeler/hermit/hardback crabs (in order of preference): Lepe beach for instance. Weed should be less of a problem when drifting.

East Hampshire Boat Anglers www.boat-angling.co.uk