Tandem fishing

Podro

Hello All

After a few weeks lurking on here I've got up the courage to sign up and ask a question. I'm planning on getting a kayak for fishing with my 10-year-old fishing mad son. His mum doesn't want him to have a seperate kayak and would want us to go out on a tandem. Is this feasible? Could 2 people easily fish from an Ocean Malibu 2?

I've had some experience fishing from kayaks nearly 30 years ago in fibreglass sit-ins that we built at school and paddled in Seaford bay for mackerel. I don't have any experience of these sit-ons though. Any advice gratefully received.

Cheers

Podro

Hiya Pedro...Welcome to the friendly site :)

I have only been fishing from the Kayak(Sit on Top) a few times now.But IMO they are very stable and easy to fish from.But there are alot more ppl on this site that can give you some good advice.

As for Tandem Kayaks here is a link to look at;

http://www.bournemouthcanoes.co.uk/tandem-...sit-on-tops.htm

Tight lines.

Mark

zzippy2.gif

Hi Podro.

Welcome.

The Malibu 2 does look suitable although the XL version may be a better option as it has a greater weight capacity and a more versatile seating arrangement. Paddling this on your own may be harder work though.

I think there are a few members here who have fished/been out tandem & will be able to give you a fuller answer.

[ 20. May 2005, 03:05 PM: Message edited by: Speciman ]

Kaskazi Dorado - Yellow

Hi Podro,

My friend has 2 Malibu II's one for his wife and daughter the other for his son and he to fish from, his son is 9.

We took my 4 year old out 2 years ago, fishing from Mackerel from one, it was a very calm evening.

There a couple of pictures on www.anglersafloat.co.uk

The Malibu II has 3 seats, and can also be paddled alone, although it is heavy alone, it's increadibly stable, and reasonably dry to paddle. If you buy one go for the optional High back seats, you won't regret it.

SM :)

http://www.anglersafloat.co.uk

Kayaks: Ocean Kayak Caper (Sunrise)

Ocean Kayak Scupper Pro

Ocean Kayak Malibu 2 XL (Sunrise)

Ocean Kayak Trident 15

Wilderness Systems Tarpon 140 Angler (Yellow)

Malibu Mini-X

A member of B.A.S.S www.ukbass.com

Guest Flybynight

Just a word of warning (I am in the process of getting a Malibu II myself for pretty similar reasons): the guy at Bournemouth Canoes says that the XL is difficult for one person to lift onto a car by themselves...and unless the people to be using it are very tall, the XL isn't necessary.

But these things are always a matter of taste...

FBN

Hi Podro, welcome aboard :)

OK yaks get a lot of mention, but it might be worth looking at the Perception Freedom 2 as well:

http://www.perception.co.uk/html/boats/freedom2.htm

Never tried one, but I have the single version and its a cracking yak :)

Heres one thats been fitted out for fishing, by "Billybob" watson from Queensland:

Syncro.jpg

Billybobs site is http://www.fishingnoosa.com.au/kayaks.htm .

Another lurker, Dave, told me theres a sale of Perception yaks going on at www.kayaksandpaddles.co.uk/ , and he'd been quoted a very keen price on a Perception Freedom single. So might be worth giving them a ring.

Good luck in your hunt :)

Help predict climate change!

http://climateprediction.net

The roof racks with rollers take most of the strain out of putting even a fairly heavy kayak on the car.

You could even rig a couple of pullys and a crank arrangement to allow even easier loading.

" My choices in life were either to be a piano player in a whore house or a politician. And to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference!" - Harry Truman, 33rd US President

Hi Podro.

If your son is big enough to paddle his own Kayak, he may be better of with his own.

No one can call that one except you, and Mum.

The Tandom idea is nice, but if you tip, you both go in the water anyway.

The Sit On Top Kayaks are easy and safe to use. because you Sit On Top, there are no complicated and difficult rolls, or re-entys to perform, you just climb back on.

With practice in sheltered waters, getting back on is easy to do.

When you take your son out, will be very dependent on the conditions anyway, untill his skills and strength build up.

Your choices of venue will be carfully chosen too, with regards to other boat trffic, tides etc.

He would need to uderstand that he wouldnt be out there without you, for a good while.

You can use seperate Kayaks, and still fish very, close to each other in safety.

With the correct equiptment i.e. both wearing the correct clothing and a Personal Floatation Device, you should both be fine in seperate Kayaks.

All you and your Son need to do now is convince Mum. :D

These are just my thoughts for what they are worth.

yy :)

Personally I advise sticking with the tandem idea, he is still quite young, and life on board a yak can be very distracting, you fighting that 14lb Bass whilst he starts to paddle off in search of one for himself, best to keep together on the one yak, training him to handle the craft whilst you craftily put your arms behind your head and have a rest, every now and then prompting him with "keep paddling son". :D:D

Ocean Kayak Scupper Pro

Ocean Kayak Trident 15

Malibu Mini-X

Jaffa, nice looking tandem, I'll be looking for a move to a tandem possibly next year, my boy will be seven and on a calm day it would be nice to take him out, he's getting a little big to be sitting in my lap. Mind you it could cause a little bit of bother with the 3 girls! :)

Ocean Kayak Scupper Pro

Ocean Kayak Trident 15

Malibu Mini-X