Used Beach Fishing Tackle

Guest kevseabass

Guest kevseabass

Just so happens lads that i'm only an hour away from Trago mills at newton abbott. Mind you I fancy Daveangler1(used to be my best mate)trotted down there 2 weeks ago and said the selection was pretty sparce, Although i don't think he was looking for the same set up as me. I am sure he was after spinning set up, i'll wait for him to reply and see what he says. I will take heed of all your advice and investigate, It's worth a trip out anyway.

Chris, Where can i find out about these ron thompson bargins, and will they last?

Guest Daveangler1

Ah-yes i did pop in to Trago about a month ago to look for a cheap Bass rod, cause i still use my very old match rod, but all the rods were all mixed up, half were broken and the service after i'd asked about the rods was crap.

All i bought was some pichard oil and two floats.

Maybe they've sorted it out now, it's worth a trip, tell me when you go cause i'll pop down with you, cheers Dave. Posted Image

Guest kevseabass

we'll take a trip out then dave , you can drive!!!! As you lads have probably been fishing for more years than me (I'm only a young 'un) and have bought more rods and reels in your time, if i have to end up buying new what is the best rod reel combo for about £200. (I'm sure most of you on the forum can advise of a particulary good or bad piece of tackle) I will be most greatful and i'm sure others will be as well.

Cheers

kev Posted Image

Guest Neil Foley

Kev,

Recommend you check out Marzi's old post on getting a new rod and reel. Good info there. Personally I have a Shakespeare Odessa (covered in the above post) and can't fault it. The tip is a little thick but not overly rigid but if you want it to cover beach and rock fishing this rod would fit the bill nicely. Personally I like the Penn 525 Mag (or GS) multiplier as it's tough for rocks yet speedy enough for beach distance. Other folks will differ though. Someone on the forums mentioned reconditioned Penns which sound great for the money or go for one of the rod'n'reel deals that make my mouth water as they don't seem to do them here in Ireland Posted Image Often the best 2nd hand gear will be found in your local tackle shop.

Good luck,

Neil.

------------------

Neil's Angling Site - Irish Shore and Freshwater Fishing

Guest Chris Goddard

With regard to the Ron Thompson most of the advertisers in the mag's seem to stock them. I got mine from Veals @ Bistol. try http://veals.co.uk

The rods are either £30/£35 each or two for £70 or three for £99 plus postage @ £4/5. As I said before they aren't exactly top of the tree but for the money they are definitely worth a look!!

Good Luck in your quest (should you choose to accept It??)

Chris

Guest kevseabass

Thanks for the advice chris and neil, i will bear i it in mind. I've also been told the 525 is a good reel. I was thinking about a mag elite but have just been told it isn't up to scratch as far as rocky conditions and the gearing can shred. I have always fished a fixed spool as i always fished nights and don't like the idea of the dreaded birds nest.... And before dave gets the chance to make me look daft, he will tell you that i've also made a birds nest possible on a fixed spool. Once and for all can someone tell me whether to make the change from f/s to multiplyer...What have i to gain???

Guest kevseabass

Just found a conoflex 12' and Abu ambassador 7000 multiplyer in good condition for £100 the pair. Good deal???

Guest Ian Bass

Kev if you can email me at IanB1303@aol.com and leave a contact phone number I might be able to put you in touch with some one who can help you

Guest Ian Bass

[Wed 8.7.01. I think I can beat most of the above. I have just returned from a car boot sale where I bought a 12ft R & I Stammers 'glenglass' rod for £1.50 YES that is correct £1.50 and aWinfield 'Shorecaster' multiplier reel for £2. ( How long is it since Woolworths stopped selling fishing tackle?. Answers please) It is in its original box with the reel oil, spanner and reel clamp still sealed in a bag. I have put some new line on it and tried it on the fields near me and second cast it went 145yrds. That will do for me!!!!!

Guest kevseabass

Just bought the Conoflex and Abu 7000 for 100 bucks. Should arrive on saturday. It's second hand and i bought it blind!!!. It might all end up to be a big mistake, i've probably got a snapped tip and rusty old reel. I'll keep you posted. Posted Image