Used Beach Fishing Tackle

Guest kevseabass

Guest Neil Foley

Kev,

The analogy I always use for multi's and FS's is this:

I think it's like the difference in driving a manual and an automatic car. Both do the very same job but one is more difficult to get used to. Some people prefer one over the other but most who put the time in prefer the control of a manual.

Seeing as you've bought the Abu I don't need to advise you any further. There's centrifugals (and mags?) on it so you should be fine. It's just a matter of getting your thumb trained like your foot on the clutch of a car! Posted Image

Good luck!

Neil.

------------------

Neil's Angling Site - Irish Shore and Freshwater Fishing

Guest kevseabass

thanks for explaining that in simple terms neil, I totally understand what you are saying and is a good way of putting it!!

I am still waiting for my rod and reel to arrive. I am glad you think the abu should be a good un. I will keep you posted and let you know how i get on.

cheers

kevseabass

Guest Daveangler1

True Neil, true, the old thumb thing takes some getting used too. I've had two Diawa SL30SH's for about a year now and I still get it all wrong from time to time, (ending up with a burnt thumb).

Still I can't wait to see Kev's first attempt at a cast, should be interesting, like he says if he can get birds nests on F/S reels, god knows whats gonna happen. Posted Image

Guest kevseabass

Trouble is I've got to much power in my arms for most rods and reels to manage. I LIKE TO WHIP IT OUT THERE!!!!!!!

Guest kevseabass

The cheque was recieved last week. YET!! rod and reel have not arrived.

This is starting to look a bit dodgy!!

Posted Image

Guest Neil Foley

On the issue of birdies on an FS reel a good trick is to "dry cast" out the last 20-30 yards of line and retrieve it under tension through a cloth, much like the way you would load your reel. This will run-out the coils built up from previous retrieves. I've learnt this one from getting crack-offs due to coils getting under the drag screw or spool itself. Very annoying! Posted Image The Penn Surfmaster can be a real pain for line ending up under the spool due to it's relatively high lift from the reel body. The addition of a "line guard" on the new Mitchell's looks like a great yet simple invention.

Oh and Kev, all multi's come with a tube of Sudocreme for the blisters you'll develop on your thumb! Posted Image

Neil.

------------------

Neil's Angling Site - Irish Shore and Freshwater Fishing

Guest kevseabass

I've heard all about these blasted blisters!!

Not looking forward to it.

Never heard of the line guard. I will have to investigate.

cheers mate

kev.

Guest kevseabass

Rod and reel have arrived!!

Not quite as i had imagined. I didn't realise conoflex made rods back in the 1800s, it's quite old by the looks of it. It made dave crack up when i phoned him to tell him about it.

Anyway i thought i would put some new line and leader on the reel,(the reel being actually very good) and give both a cast or two up the football pitch. Never used a multiplier before, First cast went into the ground about 5 yards in front of me. However the second cast went past the full length of the football pitch, Cant be bad!!! Not such a bad rod after all.

I need some help with the reel though, it's an Abu Amassador 7000. can somebody tell me what the dial and the switch is on the opposite side to the winding arm?

Cheers

kev

I think that dial on the left sideplate is for spool tension. This controls how tight you want the spool to be. Hope this helps if i am right.