You & your YAK?

Fishyak

G'day guys!

I'm sure I could probably find this out by trawling through your posts - however

I'd be interested to know what kayaks you blokes use in the UK

So how about a quick intro - I'll start

Kayak: Malibu X Factor Deluxe

Height: 6ft 2"

Weight: 19 stone (lard arse)

Fishing out of: West Coast Australia, Swan River

Fishing: Open sea's up to 6kms out, reef fishing, Bream fishing (river)

Best experience: Female dolphin with pup, playing alongside my yak :D

Worst Experience: Pulling up a Pink Snapper, to find a shark taking it out of my hands, when landing........ :

Be interested to read about you and your yak guys!

Fishyak

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I ride a Prowler 13. Our weather has been horrid for every day I have had off and could go fishing - starting to think about upping sticks and moving closer to the sea. Hopefully out this weekend - NO, definitely out this weekend, just a question of wherever I can find a bit of lee.

Bream (sea bream - upto about 3lbs -that's 1.5kgs to you) mackerel - our small tuna, nice fish to catch on a #6 fly rod, likewise the very underated garfish - a long thin surface feeder, bit like a Saury Pike. Pollack and wrasse (our form of grouper, but 7lbs is an absolute monster. %lbs very big and 3lbs a good one) pollack can go to double figures, even close inshore. In Scotland there are places to catch 10lb pollack off the rocks. Then its flatfish and the like. Hopefully we'll get some pictures up for you to see, but they will pale in comparison to your fish.

What sort of tide run do you have to cope with. In some places we have as much as a 14m rise/fall each tide and it races out at anything from 2 - 6 knots. Off St. David's Head in Pembrokeshire it can reach 14 knots mid spring ebb!!!

Simon Everett

Staffordshire.

Fishing kayaks:

White& Orange Dorado

Olive Scupper Pro

Yellow Prowler Elite

Touring kayaks

Red White Skua

White & Orange Duo

Hi Simon

Don't belive Rex Hunt - you don't catch a fish every cast.

Off the beach shore around Perth its generally herring, tailor, you might lock horns with a big mulloway if you are lucky.

The odd Salmon - but not eatable like your buggers - we use them to bait our cray pots

In the yak you can get amongest snappers, dhufish and samson fish - never had one of these on my yak - but I'm looking forward to getting towed a couple of miles, tiring one of them out!!! Yaks great for crabbing too, and pot robbing (alledgedly) :P

If you go further north - a couple of days hard drive, things get a lot more interesting, Spanish Mackrel, Marlin - BIG sharks.......

Tides are not a huge problem, less than a meter, we don't have springs and neaps like you guys, certainly not on the same scale.Wind is very predicable - get off shore beezes every afternoon. Obviously we get the odd howling storm - but not too often.......

Early mornings generally calm and crystal clear - you can see your fish 10 metres down on a good day with good sunnys.

I'll get a crappy digi cam and start taking pics - my high spec Nikon ain't going in my yak!

Fishyak

Fishyak - for kayak conditions, if you get one of the less expensive waterproof/diving digital cameras it should hold up lots better than a regular one.

" My choices in life were either to be a piano player in a whore house or a politician. And to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference!" - Harry Truman, 33rd US President

Fishyak - like me, the pictures of me playing in the Prowler on "Spalshin Around" thread were taken on my Nikon D2X - I had to reduce them by 90% to get them to load in anything like a reasonable time (70Mb TIFFS are a bit too much for the web - and they come straight out of the camera!)

Look forward to seeing some Spaniards - 20kgs and above please :D Mind your fingers when taking the hook out :D

Simon Everett

Staffordshire.

Fishing kayaks:

White& Orange Dorado

Olive Scupper Pro

Yellow Prowler Elite

Touring kayaks

Red White Skua

White & Orange Duo

I got me a Sky Blue Prowler 15, there she blows.

5d9dzm

Also got a Caper n a Venus for our daughter both in Sunrise, my favorite is the Caper its a great all rounder.

Simon I see your dilema now seeing as your using tiffs.

Do you use Windows XP??

Do you use any programmes like Photoshop or Paintshop pro??

Lemme know and i'll help you throught the conversion proccess to JPG or GIF formats if you want.

[ 25. May 2005, 11:17 PM: Message edited by: Prowler ]

Photo Gallery

If life is one big joke, I just dont get it.

Sunrise Caper

Sunrise Venus

Sky Blue Prowler 15

Spanish Mackrel?

Just to clarify what this is. Its not one of those sardines you get being cooked on a barbque in Spain :D

Slightly off topic - but I think you will enjoy..

These guys fish off cliffs - using balloons to take their bait out - you want to see how they gaff the spaniards and haul them up the cliffs

That bugger'll pull ya yak along!! enjoy........

http://www.steeppoint.com.au/steep_images.htm

fishyak

Scrambler XT ....." The Misstress"

Age 50

Hieght 5` 9"

Wieght 14 st

Out of Exmouth devon.....South of England.

Fishing for Bass mainly, but enjoy it all.

Best experience....My first ride on the Yak.

Worst.....When I have to give it up.

"The Misstress"

xtrig17.jpg

xtrig16.jpg