Paddles

Mad Yakka

I got a paddle with my 2nd hand Pyranha Surf Jet 305 a couple of years back & it's just the basic model. I'm wondering whether or not it's worth buying another paddle as I don't know the difference ? I dip the paddle in & push water, LOL but recent readings have lead me to think I need something more!

Any ideas ?

If you're doing any kind of distance get the lightest you can afford. You will use less energy with a lighter paddle and your muscles may not tire as quickly. Also a non-metal shaft (eg carbon fibre) won't be as cold on the hands.

There are 2 schools of thought regarding paddle length. One is that the paddle should be quite short giving a high angle so you dig the blades down close to the side of the yak... this gives more power. The other school is to have a longer paddle giving a more laid back longer stroke perhaps more suited to extended sea touring.

Then there are differences with the actual blades themselves & the feathering (angle of the blades).

I went for a shortish carbon fibre paddle with a sea touring blade which gives a higher paddling angle for more power. If I was a bona fide 'sea kayaker' covering great distances and not messing about in the surf on occassion I'd go for a longer shaft. Just my thoughts.

Some links:

Paddle Length - long and short of it

Types of Paddle

Kaskazi Dorado - Yellow

Great sites Speciman. Full of excellent information.

" My choices in life were either to be a piano player in a whore house or a politician. And to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference!" - Harry Truman, 33rd US President

Andy.

Might interest you?

Light wieght and strong ( Carbon )

Extends from 225 to 233cm.

Intermediate blades, for a combination of power when needed, and touring.

Alter feather to suit you, and conditions.

Breaks down for easy storage in car/Kayak.

I have sprayed and lacquered the blades with hi-vis paint ( Be seen )

Its a Danube Originz Northwest Passage made in New Zealand.

Cost about £120 its worth the money, good tool.

pad1.jpg

pad2.jpg

pad3.jpg

[ 26. May 2005, 10:21 PM: Message edited by: Yakity - Yak - u.k. ]

Mmmm I like them paddles YY are they harmony's?

[ 26. May 2005, 10:14 PM: Message edited by: Prowler ]

Photo Gallery

If life is one big joke, I just dont get it.

Sunrise Caper

Sunrise Venus

Sky Blue Prowler 15

How do you rate aluminium shafts YY, i'ts just over time even with care they would rot wouldnt they??

Photo Gallery

If life is one big joke, I just dont get it.

Sunrise Caper

Sunrise Venus

Sky Blue Prowler 15

Excellent! thanks Speciman & Bill :cool:

I'll definately save up for a better paddle now! Mines just bog standard & does seem to go deep when paddling. I've tried paddling lightly, sort of not putting the paddle in so deep (fully into the water) & it does seem to be a lot easier on my arms but I haven't been able to gauge the difference yet :)

Is there a paddling technique or do you just do your best/as you see fit ?

Here's a look at my paddle, note the grip tape which I find a real bonus for wet hands :)

paddle-002.jpg

paddle-001.jpg

As for Aluminium, I thought it didn't rot & thats why it's used for sea gear ? I think we better find out pretty sharpish though, LOL

[ 27. May 2005, 10:10 AM: Message edited by: NEA Andy ]

Hi Andy.

Being new to this sport I haven't mastered any technique as such.

I just hold the paddle as lightly as I can and try to keep the blade inline with my hip before pulling out whilst keeping the angle high (as in Simon Everetts Poole Harbour pics). Rotating the trunk is important. The back is a major muscle group and the more you can work your back the less effort used by your arms (and less arm ache).

There are set paddling techniques out there which can be learnt though...

Some links:

It's interesting that you have a grip on your paddle. I wear lightweight neoprene paddling gloves which gives me grip and comfort. Also I have a strip of duct tape wrapped around the center of the shaft for emergency use.

Cheers

Simon

Kaskazi Dorado - Yellow