Dry Suits and Trapped Air

SpeciMan

Heard back from Kokatat today regarding the trapped air issue in dry suits.

quote:

Thanks for your query. I have not heard of anyone dying in this way, but I suppose in a “worst case scenario” type situation anything is possible. The most important reason to “burp” your suit (allowing as much air to escape as possible) is so that in the event of a swim, the escaping air does not allow water to rush in. I personally feel that this water entering the suit could be more of a problem than the “bobber” fatality that you listed below. The other reason to “burp” a suit is for personal comfort.

So, to guard against being suspended upside down and to prevent water from leaking into a suit as air is expelled burp it out. I guess this advice would apply to a properly sealed dry cag and trouser combo too.

Kaskazi Dorado - Yellow

To give the suit a good burp, hold the neck and crouch down, this should force a lot of air out, the suit will feel tight around the body afterwards. Give it a burp as and when you remember when out on the water.

Don't stand up to do this though. :D

Had one years ago for windsurfing through the winter, which envolved a lot of swimming, so I know what it's like when the legs get a load of air trapped inside... it ain't nice, but it is quite refreshing blowing the air out whilst bobbing along. :D

http://www.anglersafloat.co.uk

Kayaks: Ocean Kayak Caper (Sunrise)

Ocean Kayak Scupper Pro

Ocean Kayak Malibu 2 XL (Sunrise)

Ocean Kayak Trident 15

Wilderness Systems Tarpon 140 Angler (Yellow)

Malibu Mini-X

A member of B.A.S.S www.ukbass.com