Tope- Success at last.

nifty

Hi All,

I've just got back from one of my most memorable days out where I finally achieved my biggest ambition, to get a Tope aboard the kayak.

Simon Everett and myself had a trip up to Aberdovey and went out geared up for the Tope, but also with the flyrod(Simon) and me with the spinning gear. After paddling a mile or so upto the reef we started off after a few Bass. I only managed one schoolie on a j9 but Simon was happy with 3 on the fly.

After a couple of hours of bass fishing we decided to anchor up and have a try. By this time the tide was pullng quite hard but fortunately my 3lb foldaway anchor held firm but Simon wasn't having as much luck and was cursing leaving his anchor in the car so looked about for a pot buoy to tie up to. For the first half hour i was plagued with dogs then they suddenly dissappeared and i was just thinking to myself that something bigger might have moved in when line started flying from the reel and i struck into something that wasn't going to stop in a hurry.

After shouting over to Simon, i got stuck into trying to slow it down but for 10 minutes it was having none of it and every time i got some line back she'd take off on another 30or 40 yard dash that had me slackening the drag off again. It was probably quarter of an hour before i finally managed to get her up to the side of the kayak and then she made one last dive underneath me dragging the rod tip under the yak. By this time Simon had made his way over and we were able to get a good look at her.

Luckily she was nicely hooked in the corner of the mouth and as i was using barbless hooks i couldn't see any problem unhooking her on board, so when i was confident she was tired i grabbed the trace and unclpped it so that i could put the rod out of the way and then grabbed her tail with the other hand.

She wasn't the biggest Tope ever caught by a long way but boy did i have some fun and getting her aboard was probably one of the most satisfying things i've done fishingwise.

We took a few pics then slipped her back. Unfortunately that was the only one and we went back to doggy bashing till the bait ran out and we had to head further out to try and get a few mackerel, but after a couple of hours all we managed were half a dozen plus a garfish and a few whiting and pollack. We gave it another hour at anchor but by this time the tide had stopped running and not even the dogs were playing so with the wind freshening we gave it neck and headed in.

We finished the day off with with a bit of a dunking in the surf, but hey if every trip was that good i can put up with getting a bit damp.

Sorry to go on so long,

Stuart.

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well done Stuart.

You have just done what I have been dreaming of :D

Nice catch,Hopefully I can get one this year.

Zzippy

zzippy2.gif

What a result! Nice one :)

Anglers' Net Shopping Partners - Please Support Your Forum

CLICK HERE for all your Amazon purchases - books, photography equipment, DVD's and more!

CLICK HERE for Go Outdoors. HUGE discounts!

FOLLOW ANGLERS' NET ON TWITTER- CLICK HERE - @anglersnet

PLEASE 'LIKE' US ON FACEBOOK - CLICK HERE

Great Report, look forward to seeing the pictures. Looks like one of us southern softies is going to have to go after a smooth hound to keep our end up. :)

http://www.anglersafloat.co.uk

Kayaks: Ocean Kayak Caper (Sunrise)

Ocean Kayak Scupper Pro

Ocean Kayak Malibu 2 XL (Sunrise)

Ocean Kayak Trident 15

Wilderness Systems Tarpon 140 Angler (Yellow)

Malibu Mini-X

A member of B.A.S.S www.ukbass.com