South Wales

kelvindavies11

• Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I occasionally end up in Saundersfoot, infact I'm up that way in July/August.

My good friend Artfulfisher is based 5 miles from Saundersfoot and fishes from a Malibu II.

http://www.anglersafloat.co.uk

Kayaks: Ocean Kayak Caper (Sunrise)

Ocean Kayak Scupper Pro

Ocean Kayak Malibu 2 XL (Sunrise)

Ocean Kayak Trident 15

Wilderness Systems Tarpon 140 Angler (Yellow)

Malibu Mini-X

A member of B.A.S.S www.ukbass.com

Does he know anything about Milfod Haven area? (Not knowing where Saundersfoot is :D )Only I have a couple of days work down there 7th & 8th July. Boat tests.

If there is some yakking locally I would put it on the roof and go in the car instead of beetling down and back on the bike. Seems a shame to go to a good area and not try it!

I was on the Gower yesterday - down in the morning back in the afternoon. I was two miles from the Lougher estuary and just at the top of the cliff at Port eynon at the airfield - didn't even get the chance to wet a line and I was within casting range of the best SWFFing in the UK apparently :confused: :confused: If only I had known beforehand!

Any info greatly received - I might just be able to mix business with pleasure then.

Simon Everett

Staffordshire.

Fishing kayaks:

White& Orange Dorado

Olive Scupper Pro

Yellow Prowler Elite

Touring kayaks

Red White Skua

White & Orange Duo

sorry mate i dont know much about that area however i know a bit about loughor and i seriously wouldnt concider launching or fishing from a kayak there are the estuary has one of the largesdt tidal runs in wales.

sorry for the lack of info mate,

kelvin

Hi Guys,

sorry I didn't notice the posting sooner...lots on my plate at the moment. Anyhow yes I'm in South Wales but more commonly described as West Wales out here in Pembrokeshire :D

The fishing is very good locally and all around the Pembrokeshire coast, although not all of it is very accessable or adviseable for kayak fishing. As mentioned the Tidal flows can be enormous around Pembs. I do most of my KF in the sheltered Carmarthen Bay and enjoy the easy life. However now that I am getting a little more experienced I would like to venture into the deeper waters, including Milford Haven.

As for fishing the Haven or any of the local waters it's all dependent on the weather really. This will dictate which venue to visit. Due to the shape of Pembrokeshire and 187 miles of intricate coastline there's nearly always a venue on any given day...and of course the Haven gives a nice deep water alternative.

I wish I could say I have paddled it all and where the best spots lie, but that's yet to happen!...but in time I do hope to chart all of the favoured venues and pass on to fellow yak fishers. All I can say is that are some fabulous fish caught in local waters every year! :D

Personally Simon I'd bring the yak and have a paddle if only in the Haven...there are plenty of Double figure Conger right where you will be launching....that's if you are feeling insanely brave...better not boat one ehh???!!! Unfortunately I will be away down in Dorset SWFF Southern Conclave is that weekend I think, otherwise I'd be out there with you!

Anyhow this is all part of the reason I'm coming up to North Wales to see you and Nifty next week. I hope to learn a few things which I can put into practice down here...in fact I'm more keen to learn than catch a fish...but I would say no to a double figure tope!!!

Goodluck with the KF Kelvin and if you're down this way gimme a shout.

More of this later, Tight Lines, Art

Art,

will talk to you when you are up in Towyn with us then - need an idea of what to go for - conger don't interest me, but bream or something would. I'd rather fish for bass and catch none than fish for conger and catch one! Strange I know - but my Dad was a charter owner in Plymouth and anglers always wanted to go for conger on neaps. I hate the bloody things - slime everywhere, go round like a rubber band on the surface ..dida dida. I just don't see the fascination with eels - ugly things. Now Ling, that's different! Pollack even. I like fast fish, not sluggish sloggers howver big, so Skate can stay where they are - too deep for my liking, big rods, big weights etc not my thing. I love seeing other people happy with their humungous catches though! I am happy using light gear for smaller fare.

I think the boats are based at Neyland - still to find out details, I don't even know what they are! Yamaha have just booked me to be there. I'll get the gen nearer the time, unless the weather blows us off. A few hints as to what tackle to bring would do for starters.

Cheers,Simon.

Simon Everett

Staffordshire.

Fishing kayaks:

White& Orange Dorado

Olive Scupper Pro

Yellow Prowler Elite

Touring kayaks

Red White Skua

White & Orange Duo

Nice one Boys,

Simon, couldn't agree more on the eel front! we'll talk more on tackle etc as you say when we meet up. Certainly Bass, pollack, coalfish, gurnard, doggies, smoothound, thornbacks, flounder, scad and mackerel will all be available...I've never had much luck with the bream...but then never really tried that hard, plus I spend most time in the shallow sandy waters of carmarthen bay, so I'm not likely to get 'em there! there are also supposed to be some very nice Wrasse (record threatening sizes at a location I know ) Depending on the weather and tide, I'll try n sort out a venue with some variety...unfortunately some favourites will be off the menu because of the military use (only available at weekends)

I'm off to get some rigging sorted on the yak.

Cheers for now, Art :)

We're not sailing you know. It's only a short paddle of about a mile at most, depending on whether we launch off the beach straight out, or in the shelter of the estuary. Square rigging won't be necessary! A square meal will.

Simon Everett

Staffordshire.

Fishing kayaks:

White& Orange Dorado

Olive Scupper Pro

Yellow Prowler Elite

Touring kayaks

Red White Skua

White & Orange Duo