Tywyn tope trip

nifty

Simon, Simon, Dave & Rich,

Hope you all made it home safely and thanks for making the trip up. I think on the whole it went quite well but i'm not going to steal your thunder and tell everyone the details, as i'm sure you'll enjoy doing that yourselves and hopefully posting some stunning piccies.

Dave, I'm really sorry about your anchor but i did say there weren't many conger that big up this part of the world. Send me the bill :D

Simon (Speciman) Well done on some fine fish and dispelling the theory that fixed spool reels aren't up to big fish.

Simon, You did it chap(eventually) If it wasnt for you i would have stayed in bed (car) this morning with all that Welsh mist lashing down. I'm glad i didn't.

Richard, Sorry you had to leave early and i hope you are doing ok. I think you possibly still hold the record for the largest fish but Simon (Speciman) is pushing you close.

Thanks again guys and look forward to doing it again soon.

Stuart.

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks for the comments Stuart.

What a fantastic couple of days tope fishing in Wales.

With great company, nice scenery and in an area rich in marine and bird life we all caught good fish making the trip worthwhile - for all of us I bet!

Arriving first at the campsite on Thursday I had time to try for mackeral off the front. I didn't catch any but saw harbour porpoise and a dolphin - a first for me. I also dunked in the surf on the way back in. Just as well everything was leashed down!

The following morning (Friday) we were at our tope mark by around 10am. I was lucky and was first into a fish around 20lb as a 'guesstimate'. After photos were taken by Simon, he continued his selfless task of photographing fish caught by others.

Richard got into one soon after or was it David? Anyway, shortly after I had mine David, Stuart and Richard all had their rods bent over. It was quite a sight!

I caught another Tope that day and had a good run from a Tope which I lost. I had another 2 on Saturday. The biggest tope of mine came right at the end when my reel starting screaming about 10 mins before I planned to head in. Thanks Stuart and David for coming back over and helping out with the pics. Can't wait to see them.

I also caught a few bull huss over the two days; one scratched my hand when taking the hook out - the blood may have helped bring the fish in :D

I was pleased Richard had caught before heading back and echo Stuarts comments.

It was great to finally meet everyone.

Thanks for the open invite and sharing this mark guys!

[ 26. June 2005, 03:10 PM: Message edited by: Speciman ]

Kaskazi Dorado - Yellow

Hi Guys,

well what can I say?...it was magic...like a good book entitled ‘Five Tackle Tope off Tywyn!’...Tons of fun and lashings of big, fast, scarey fish!!!

My Thanks to everyone for making it such an enjoyable, entertaining and educational experience.

Awards go to all as follows:

Simon Everett...gets the Golden Soap Award for ‘unmentionable talents’ and the unselfish way in which he paddled like a demon, foresaking his own fishing opportunities to photgraph the fabulous beasties hauled up by others....you're a Saint, and I hear that you had your reward the next day...I hope that some of that bait I gave you helped. Pic below of Simon finally managing to get in some fishing, off on his own...must have been something we said!

http://graphicsupport.co.uk/transporter/pi...ng/simonlow.jpg

Speciman (Simon) gets the First Fish Honours..no boogering about this boy....he’s straight into a beauty see pic below with Dave trying to take a pic of the action too while the Charter boat in the background trundled by unaware of the drama unfolding!

http://graphicsupport.co.uk/transporter/pi.../simont1low.jpg

Starvin Marvin (Dave) gets the W-anchor Award for fighting hard for some 15 minutes against a misterious monster from the deep...which turned out to be his own Anchor!!!!!!!! See pic below of Dave’s magnificent Prowler with hand crafted SM logo on the bow, lovely stuff!!!...and he was still smiling even though he’d lost his only Tope of the day at boat side (a big booger too!).

http://graphicsupport.co.uk/transporter/pi...ing/davelow.jpg

Nifty (Stuart), gets the Platinum Pork Pie Award for flipping his yak even before entering the surf and managing to loose his freshly bought Pork Pie down the river...along with various other food items. He was however later to loose even more...if you check the pic below you’ll see he’s pictured on the left and at this point had actually lost his entire yak!

http://graphicsupport.co.uk/transporter/pi...hing/sdslow.jpg

That just leaves me...I get the Brass Buttocks Award on two counts...firstly for Scaring a fellow camper clean off the campsite after mistakenly thinking he was Speciman, and waving too him at first light...I believe he thought I was ‘the only gay in the village’ and promptly packed up camp and was gone by the time I had returned from the shower block!!!...and Secondly for being the first one to land on his arse when wading back up the slippery river bank!!!

Anyway on a more serious note, it was a real pleasure to meet you guys and catch my first tope in good company and with guidance on hand. Special thanks must go to Speciman for taking the picture below of my second Tope...he generously offered to up anchor and cease fishing to come across and fight the tide and wind to take this shot (no small feat I can asure you!)...cheers mate you’re a real Gent.

http://graphicsupport.co.uk/transporter/pi...g/rtope2low.jpg

Oh and here’s a shot of the beastie coming up from the deep...

http://graphicsupport.co.uk/transporter/pi...sculkinglow.jpg

And finally here’s a shot of base camp below...don’t we look splendid!!!

http://graphicsupport.co.uk/transporter/pi...ing/baselow.jpg

As a footnote I’d just like to say thanks for the sympathy and support offered on hearing that my Grandmother had passed away as we set out in the morning. Obviously this cut my trip short but in no way reduced its worthyness. In fact my Grandmother, who was aware of her impending departure, wanted me to go and catch a good one. To that end, I would like to dedicate my success to Muriel Kate Blandford, and I’m sure that she would wish me to thank Stuart, Simon, Simon and Dave for ‘looking after her boy’. Cheers guys, it was a real treat.

Tightlines and look forward to meeting again, Rich

Hi Art,

Unfortunately my pie hasn't turned up yet. I've left details with the police but i'm not confident it'll be returned :(:(

Glad you enjoyed it and got some great piccies to show for it.

Totally agree that the two Simons deserve special thanks for putting themselves out to take the pics.

Cheers Stuart.

What can I say, we came, we saw, we did a little fishing.

If it had been a speciman match, I'd have done all right, Tope, Bull Huss, Doggies, Pollack and my first Bream, all in a day, the weather was dodgy, the company could only have been bettered by the 3 Bikini Clad girls on Fish-On, (Bravo, Sunday Lunchtimes).

Thank you Simon Everett for sharing with us how you would be able to handle yourself in a Prison shower. And that your enthusiasm for the sport is verging on Madness... he's got to be taking something.

Sorry I'm rambling, it was just that brilliant, thank you so much Stuart for sharing the mark with us. Oh yes thank you Richy for sharing my anchor mishap with the whole of AN, put a nice bend in the rod though. :)

Thank you Speciman for sharing that monster with Nifty and me.

Lets do it again, after all it wasn't so far on my return journey, managed it in 5.5 hours.

Tight Lines All. I'm knackered

Dave

http://www.anglersafloat.co.uk

Kayaks: Ocean Kayak Caper (Sunrise)

Ocean Kayak Scupper Pro

Ocean Kayak Malibu 2 XL (Sunrise)

Ocean Kayak Trident 15

Wilderness Systems Tarpon 140 Angler (Yellow)

Malibu Mini-X

A member of B.A.S.S www.ukbass.com

Good on ya all! Sounds like a fun time was had - would have liked to have met you but had visiting relatives as it panned out... out with my mate Nick Hughes from Aber tomorrow so hoping for some fishy goings-on!

Cheers - John

Nice one Stuart

I know how you feel Davey!!!...although I didn't paddle to Ireland!

Best of Luck with the fishin John, let us know how you get on and hope to meet up next time.

Tight lines, Rich

Great looking trip and it does look like all concerned had an excellent outing.

Artfulfisher - to make the pics show up on the forum directly, the url needs to have with no spaces anywhere in there.

Here is you and that huge tope picture where I took the link and added the tags.

rtope2low.jpg

" My choices in life were either to be a piano player in a whore house or a politician. And to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference!" - Harry Truman, 33rd US President