Mullet

Leon Roskilly

Has anyone tried catching mullet from a kayak?

Given their liking for getting under things like boats, I was wondering whether they might come near to a kayak, especially if there was a breadbag over the side.

Maybe a float fished close to the kayak, with a flake of bread on a size 8 hook .........

Then there's quite a few likely looking spots in my estuary where there is no access from the shoreside, but a kayak moored to a wooden piling beneath an old wooden dock would be just the place to regularly leave a bread bag, knowing that it isn't going to be interfered with, or someone is going to fish your spot (except another kayaker perhaps!).

Tight Lines - leon

[ 11. July 2005, 02:34 PM: Message edited by: Leon Roskilly ]

RNLI Shoreline Member

Member of the Angling Trust

I had been thinking along the same lines-apart from the idea of actually attaching the bread net along side the actual kayak...food for thought,

Jon

"Some times the earth appears stale,flat and tedious, when lifes petty restrictions strangles the spirit and when a crowd of fellow mortals affects one as a collection of hopeless and soulless oafs,then all that is left to you is to take to the sea"

Leon. I have been thinking exactly the same thing. I dont have a kayak but reading this forum has definately wetted my appetite. Anyone kayak in the solent and southampton water?

Help I think Ive got the bug :D

Fished since 2003, the rest of my life I just wasted.

Southampton, Scupper Pro TW Angler: Yarak2.

Member of the OK fishing Team ( I have had free bits) :-)

Lots of folks in Soton - poole area.

I haven't actually caught a mullet for over 30 years - been trying to get one on the fly and wasted far too many hours doing so. Had one or two tentative takes but nothing that stayed on for longer than a few seconds.

I would love to find out how you catch them elsewhere - I used to fish the old fish market in the Barbican, caught a few good flounders at the same time freeloading on the scraps thrown overboard at the dock. That is what the mullet fed on too - tiny scraps of fish flesh on a small hook did the trick in those days.

Simon Everett

Staffordshire.

Fishing kayaks:

White& Orange Dorado

Olive Scupper Pro

Yellow Prowler Elite

Touring kayaks

Red White Skua

White & Orange Duo

Leon at some point I will be targetting mullet but they're not top of my list at the moment. Christhurch Harbour local to me holds some great fish. Within 15 strokes I spooked a shoal of mullet on my first ever paddle there in late March. I will go back with licence and permit but perhaps not this year. There are also lots of mullet behind Milford(Hurst Shingle Bank) & Poole Harbour-- again other places ideal for safe kayak fishing.

Kaskazi Dorado - Yellow

Hi Leon,

Mullet are definitely on my to do list from the kayak this coming holiday.

I have fished three marks this year where the sea has been alive with them around the yak and contrary to popular opinion i have not found them to be particularly shy or easily spooked.

Only problem is, on each occasion i havn't been geared up for them. As for the fly, i have tied up some bread flies from white deer hair that look the business(Ha Ha).

If they fail, i am certain a pinch of kingsmill will soon have one hooked up.

nifty.

Agree about the shyness of the mullet from my limited experience. The mullet I saw in Christchurch Harbour were only spooked after I had paddled right into the shoal. A jacuzzi opened up around me on all sides of the kayak! If I had been aware of their presence I could have got very close without spooking them.

Kaskazi Dorado - Yellow