Swanage & Durlston Bay - 11th July 2005

SpeciMan

Hi Andy

I can't speak for Zzippy but I'm sure I will head that way again. Its just a question of timing the tides when paddling out and coming back in from Swanage Bay. On the day in question the tide times were totally out and many guys from the Poole Bay Small Boat Angling Club got confused by the times on this day too.

If you get the times wrong and the tide is racing over Pervril Point you can lift the kayak over a low sea wall and be on your way.

The double high tides don't make conditions more dodgy as such just something to be aware of. Zzippy and I have been fishing within Poole harbour and been caught out by these making a harder than anticipated paddle back. After high tide the tide goes out for a short while and then comes back in before once again moving out! The opposite happens over at Kimmeridge Bay (and probably in the surrounding area) although we haven't paddled over there yet.

I'm pleased I have a divers knife but its not as effective at cutting rope and line as I thought it would be. I suggest everyone taking knives and scissors out to test them out first on netting, rope and line.

I didn't want to tamper with the blade on my knife but I will try sharpening it now. A pair of cheap tuff-cut scissors (the type found in first aid kits used to cut through jeans etc) are an essential item in my safety kit. They cut through line, netting and cord quickly.

I've heard reports of kayakers attaching dive knifes to their legs, getting into difficulties (rope wrapped around legs being dangled upside down) and not being able to reach them. I keep the dive knife attached to my buoyancy aid now.

Agree about taking the extra shots.. I've got a 1 gig card in my camera and a spare battery so no excuse for me not being 'trigger happy'.

(whilst typing this the batteries for my trolling motor have arrived after 3 weeks of waiting, delivery theft and misdelivery. On the 4th or 5th delivery attempt I have finally got them. Can't wait to crack on with this project :D:D ).

[ 15. July 2005, 12:34 PM: Message edited by: Speciman ]

Kaskazi Dorado - Yellow

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Speciman,

As usual I would love to pinch some of the shots, starting up a new gallery with some wildlife shots from the yak in it as well as the normal stuff.

Met up with a fellow yakker / swffer last weekend, can't remember his forum name, but believe he answer to chris. He was on his inflatable kayak, with a 5hp Honda engine attached to back, looked to work really well, he just uses the engine as a back up, what was really nice was the way it all fitted in the boot of his car!

I've got a picture and will be posting on AnglersAfloat.

Haven't done much in the last week, been a bit low after last weeks nonsence up here where I work, all a little too close for comfort.

Taking my lad fly fishing tomorrow, he's six and his sister is having a girly party, loads of pink so we need to escape for a few hours, bit hot though.

Did you buy the Panasonic camera?

later

SM :)

http://www.anglersafloat.co.uk

Kayaks: Ocean Kayak Caper (Sunrise)

Ocean Kayak Scupper Pro

Ocean Kayak Malibu 2 XL (Sunrise)

Ocean Kayak Trident 15

Wilderness Systems Tarpon 140 Angler (Yellow)

Malibu Mini-X

A member of B.A.S.S www.ukbass.com

Hi Starvin. You're welcome to use the images. Do you want me to send some high res shots over to the www.anglersafloat.co.uk email address?

Haven't been out myself since Monday due to health reasons. Itching to get out again.

The camera I have is the Pentax Optio WP.

[ 15. July 2005, 01:33 PM: Message edited by: Speciman ]

Kaskazi Dorado - Yellow

Cheers MJB, knew you'd be lurking about here somewhere.

Ocean Kayak Scupper Pro

Ocean Kayak Trident 15

Malibu Mini-X

Simon, have pinched the images from here, they are fine, infact I make them a little bit smaller and then do some fancy compression to make the about 20k in size.

Camera that's the one, I checked one out up here but they are so new no one would discount or could tell me much about the quality of image. But what you've taken here proves it's perfect for the job.

Cheers

SM :)

Ocean Kayak Scupper Pro

Ocean Kayak Trident 15

Malibu Mini-X

Starvin - bought my camera from www.pixmania.co.uk for £182 including postage. You can also pick goods up from their store in London to avoid paying postage. They bundle in an extra years free warranty with it (although they also try to get you to buy an extended warranty when you check out). Check ebay for cheap spare batteries - bought one for £7 versus £30!

Image quality for what we do is acceptable. However, I don't doubt there are better 5 megapixel pixels out there on the market.

In strong light conditions the image quality is good - it doesn't score so well in low light situations.

It has a continuous film mode which keeps running till the cards filled up - resolution isn't great but there's sound.

High speed burst mode is fun -- you can take fast shots up to about 8 I think at about 1200 resolution. Useful if you wanted to demonstrate casting techniques, paddling strokes etc.

The macro mode is spot on. I enjoy taking macro shots although for kayak fishing they aren't really needed :)

Here are some cherries I ate the other day :D:D

cherries.jpg

[ 15. July 2005, 05:49 PM: Message edited by: Speciman ]

Kaskazi Dorado - Yellow

Pixmania have some great prices, but when I was looking for my camera I noticed that the prices fluctuate daily, the Canon went from £185 to just over £200 plus the postage, bought it from Comet Direct Online eventually.

Nice cherries by the way. :)

Ocean Kayak Scupper Pro

Ocean Kayak Trident 15

Malibu Mini-X

The state of the spelling on this forum, I'm not sure that we all speak english. :D

Ocean Kayak Scupper Pro

Ocean Kayak Trident 15

Malibu Mini-X