New kayak - prototype

Simon Everett

That's it.

Nifty had a go in the surf too - he will tell you his thoughts no doubt, when he gets home and has a chance to find this!

General consensus was that this kayak is a better sea kayak than the P13 - about the same weight (give or take a lb), near enough the same length - both go on the roof together. BUT paddles so much better. Fishing from it is a joy.

I just have those few niggles from the rush build to get it out in time to test and alter ready for the shows that will take not much time nor effort. Then you will see me everywhere in it - whiule Sons Number 1 and 2 fight over the P13! Alistair (son number 2) prefers the Prolwer because of the extra confidence the wider, higher stance provides. George, who is a bit more experienced and feels more at home in the boat, now prefers the new one too - he was dubious at first until he actually got in and tried it. Then there was the sudden dawning of realisation!!!

Simon Everett

Staffordshire.

Fishing kayaks:

White& Orange Dorado

Olive Scupper Pro

Yellow Prowler Elite

Touring kayaks

Red White Skua

White & Orange Duo

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Great writeup Simon with good humour. This yak could become very popular when its ready. It sounds like the lower seat has added to its stability despite its narrow beam ("the breadth of the kayak at the widest point").

Kaskazi Dorado - Yellow

Nice write up Simon and brilliant pics

Looks like we will have to meet up again in the next few months,so we can get a hands on trial with it :D

It sure looks like it can produce a bit more speed.

When you sit side on dont you get dead legs after a while?Seeing as you are sat lower down in it.

Zzippy

zzippy2.gif

I sat a little further forward to prevent - After about 4 or 5 hours I did feel the edges digging in - so I just sat round in the seat for a bit to give them a break.

Simon Everett

Staffordshire.

Fishing kayaks:

White& Orange Dorado

Olive Scupper Pro

Yellow Prowler Elite

Touring kayaks

Red White Skua

White & Orange Duo

The turning ability can be a bit limiting and if the wind is whipping up a bit then it can get wet - but this is kayaking for heavens sake, not arm chair charter boating!

There is a bit of flex in the length, but you have to provoke it - stand it on the bow and shake the stern and you can feel it. In the water it doesn't flex as much as the P13, even when power stroking. I put that down to the high back support from the seat - lovely for paddling and you can stay in the seat and fish, but to fly fish comfortable and effectively you need to sit round otherwise your left hand is hampered and the haul suffers. Sat round, no bother and nice clean decks for flyline to laze about on!

Access is excellent anywhere forward, but awkward astern of the seat - it is too narrow and tight to get anywhere to fix things, so rivets are the answer.

The biggest problem is a trolley. The scuppers are about 50% larger than on the P13, so the scupper mounted trolley system doesn't work - it just falls over onto the wheels. I am going to try and make up something with pipework to fit over the trolley uprights and make a bit of a cradle with. Then we only need one trolley for both!

Balance is nice though - I can shift her about or carry her (not too far) with one hand. With two hands and hefted above my head as easy as anything else.

I am still playing - so will let you know as niggles raise their ugly heads.

Simon Everett

Staffordshire.

Fishing kayaks:

White& Orange Dorado

Olive Scupper Pro

Yellow Prowler Elite

Touring kayaks

Red White Skua

White & Orange Duo

Hi Simon,

Nice review.

As you know I am looking at a new 'yak for next year, the Scupper Pro TW is on my list. How does this prototype differ from the TW?

It looks like it has all the makings of a really nice fishing 'yak :)

Excellent write up Simon, nice to see Ocean putting a built in back rest into their yaks at long last so we don't have to buy one! The sleeker design and full length keel like the Frenzy will give it much more speed in the water, looks like a really good fishing yak.

I reckon we'll see a load of new ones this year and next from all the major manufacturers as they realise the potential of them in the UK :)

Kiyakker,

I don't know is the answer - because I haven't seen the original! I think the scupper pro badge on the bow is a bit of smoke screen.

In the USA the Scupper Pro TW (Tank Well) is a highly respected kayak for offshore fishing - those who need to paddle a bit further than most, like off California for the Halibut.

This one was built in a French protectorate, but production models could come from elsewhere. The Europeans have different models to us - I think that is purely from choice of their chief purchasers and if we wanted them or they proved popular we coiud have their models here too. There is only so much room for models in any one market, so an informed decision as to which to select from a range has to be made.

Simon Everett

Staffordshire.

Fishing kayaks:

White& Orange Dorado

Olive Scupper Pro

Yellow Prowler Elite

Touring kayaks

Red White Skua

White & Orange Duo