Let us have a look at your Kayak.

Yakity - Yak - u.k.

Hi folks,

had a chance to test the new girl this weekend. The prototype and the Dorado both hold thew water extremely well - it was interesting to find that the OK prototype is actually a drier ride than the Dorado! Testing them side by side over the same waves - the prototype has a ridge running all the way around the deck moulding - on a powerboat you would call it a spray rail - it works, deflecting any wave slap that the hull creates down and away from the yak. In some pretty lumpy seas - 6' - 8' the hatch of the prototype didn't even get wet! I had one or two slops over the bow of the Dorado - but the speed and agility of the South African kayak is awesome and her stability is incredible - I had to really force her to get a capsize out of her at all - leaning right over and pulling like mad. The water was coming in the cockpit before she finally went over. Easy to right and climb back aboard too - about 20 seconds no problem.

The we did the smae with Ok prototype, nearly as stable due to the low c of g and slightly wider beam. Just as easy to get back aboard, but more difficult to push back upright - but very much easier than a Prowler 13 and easier to climb back aboard too. Here are some pics......

Simon Everett

Staffordshire.

Fishing kayaks:

White& Orange Dorado

Olive Scupper Pro

Yellow Prowler Elite

Touring kayaks

Red White Skua

White & Orange Duo

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Img1027.jpg

George setting off early in the morning in the prototype with the bow of the Dorado just in shot

Simon Everett

Staffordshire.

Fishing kayaks:

White& Orange Dorado

Olive Scupper Pro

Yellow Prowler Elite

Touring kayaks

Red White Skua

White & Orange Duo

They are both very similar in profile, but the Dorado is much lighter on the water due to the composite construction - about the same weight as it turns out when hefting - I carried both single handed about 100 yards from the car the next day.

Here is George heading out across the Sound:

Img1031.jpg

Simon Everett

Staffordshire.

Fishing kayaks:

White& Orange Dorado

Olive Scupper Pro

Yellow Prowler Elite

Touring kayaks

Red White Skua

White & Orange Duo

Img1035.jpg

Fishihng a live prawn on one of our marks - we ended up with just the one prawn as he forgot to clip the net bag of prawns onto the anchor outhaul - so we lost the bait and the new bait/rubby dubby bag :mad: :mad:

Simon Everett

Staffordshire.

Fishing kayaks:

White& Orange Dorado

Olive Scupper Pro

Yellow Prowler Elite

Touring kayaks

Red White Skua

White & Orange Duo

Note how high the bow sits though, despite being low profile. The shape and dimensions of this kayak remind me a great deal of the canvass ones that the commandoes used during the war - eeerily similar in fact! They were used to get covert operatins into enemy ports stealthily and in some pretty horrid conditions. If it worked then.....!

Simon Everett

Staffordshire.

Fishing kayaks:

White& Orange Dorado

Olive Scupper Pro

Yellow Prowler Elite

Touring kayaks

Red White Skua

White & Orange Duo

Img1036.jpg

Look at the ridge running right round the hull-deck join. This is the "spray rail" which works so well at keeping the kayak incredibly dry even in steep seas.

Simon Everett

Staffordshire.

Fishing kayaks:

White& Orange Dorado

Olive Scupper Pro

Yellow Prowler Elite

Touring kayaks

Red White Skua

White & Orange Duo

And to show you just how well this works, here is son number 2 in those big waves off Thurlestone..

Simon Everett

Staffordshire.

Fishing kayaks:

White& Orange Dorado

Olive Scupper Pro

Yellow Prowler Elite

Touring kayaks

Red White Skua

White & Orange Duo

Img1064.jpg

Bear in mind this was his first time out in this kayak - he is 10 - and he got to grips with it in 10 seconds flat - so, no, you don't need loads of beam and a big barge to stay upright!!

Simon Everett

Staffordshire.

Fishing kayaks:

White& Orange Dorado

Olive Scupper Pro

Yellow Prowler Elite

Touring kayaks

Red White Skua

White & Orange Duo

Img1066.jpg

And another shot which I think shows the waves better. It was awkward trying to stop paddling, pick up the camera and catch the wave just as he was taking the crest - I missed each time!!!

Simon Everett

Staffordshire.

Fishing kayaks:

White& Orange Dorado

Olive Scupper Pro

Yellow Prowler Elite

Touring kayaks

Red White Skua

White & Orange Duo