Let us have a look at your Kayak.

Yakity - Yak - u.k.

Nice report... look forward to seeing part 2. Sounds like you are growing rather fond of your prototype.

If OK want it back I guess they will have to pry it from your hands or have a handbag fight :D

[ 16. August 2005, 11:04 AM: Message edited by: SpeciMan ]

Kaskazi Dorado - Yellow

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Simon, see your having my trouble with the drippy lens, found wrapping it in a towel works a treat, also gives you something soft to wipe the lens with.

Anyway, thought it time to show of my pair of beauties as they were on the beach together over the weekend.

StarvinYaks.jpg

http://www.anglersafloat.co.uk

Kayaks: Ocean Kayak Caper (Sunrise)

Ocean Kayak Scupper Pro

Ocean Kayak Malibu 2 XL (Sunrise)

Ocean Kayak Trident 15

Wilderness Systems Tarpon 140 Angler (Yellow)

Malibu Mini-X

A member of B.A.S.S www.ukbass.com

....aaaaahh I can only dream of paddling one of those :D ...well SM, Karen's already said that my mate Dave is welcome for a weekend and can even stay in the house!...so when your're ready...you know...a full compliment of brownie points etc!!!

...Nice pair you've got there though...now when was the last time I said that???...in a bar in Basingstoke wasn't it??? :)

I don't know about southampton chaps - but I do know they are planning on it being ready for London.

It really sits well in the water - fantastic stability, great centre "lump" for all your sticking on bits - the more I get out on the water, the more I leave behind. i am certainly not going to bother with a fish finder on the Dorado - it means drilling holes in her!

I shall probably fit the Raymarine Ds500 to the prototype now that I have had the chance to try the two side by side. So what does that tell you?

The Dorado is a fabulous kayak, but the Ocean Kayak is just as good when it comes to fishing from her - and the fact that fitting stuff is so easy has to weigh in her favour. If you have a long way to paddle, then there is no question, the Dorado will out paddle them all - in ANY conditions. The answer is to have the fishfinder fitted during the build, then it can be included in the build instead of retro fitting it. A much better idea. To give you an idea of just how good those RSA kayaks are - they launch in 6' - 8' surf when it is calm. They go out through 15' surf on a regular basis and come back through it! They are catching 100lb fish from them (but a mate of mine just spearfished a 400kg marlin the other day from the eastern Cape :D - yes, 400kgs - that is nearly 900lbs folks. he had to use his lifejacket to keep it afloat and raise it to where the big boat could take it from him!!) The South Africans are in a different league to us - and the Aussies. They build kayaks to do the job - the yanks do get led by market forces somewhat....big lads need big kayaks....bigger and wider must be better....and from the other end..easier to build means more profits....

Leon only builds about 40 kayaks per year - so they are built to do the job they are required to do. The kaskazi kayaks can handle 30 foot seas no problem, they can handle 20 foot surf in the right hands and they can tackle big fish - but over here we don't need to worry about half od all that...until you want to catch a Porbeagle Shark :D

Simon Everett

Staffordshire.

Fishing kayaks:

White& Orange Dorado

Olive Scupper Pro

Yellow Prowler Elite

Touring kayaks

Red White Skua

White & Orange Duo

Simon,

I really like the look of the Dorado, but then again I like the look of the prototype too, and the Prowler, and the Tarpons...b****r, decisions, decisions :confused: :confused:

On another thread, I see you will be in Wales, day of the tournament. I will be just up the coast, was going to fish N of Barmouth if nobody was about, but may join you

Welcome along Kiyakker.

The trouble with the Dorado is that it has to come from RSA! I got a lift for mine, so didn't have to pay any shipping.

If you really want a very capable kayak for touring as well as fishing, then a Kaskazi or similar is great - but for sheer ease the prototype is 90% as good and quite a bit cheaper.

For a composite kayak the Dorado is very reasonably priced - the Heritage polythene ones are dearer!! A Dorado will come ut at about £850 - £900 at the moment. I would estimate the prototype will be on the market, full retail at about £450. For our coastal fishing it is excellent.

Simon Everett

Staffordshire.

Fishing kayaks:

White& Orange Dorado

Olive Scupper Pro

Yellow Prowler Elite

Touring kayaks

Red White Skua

White & Orange Duo

Basic hull is from the Scupper Pro, but there are some mods to the top deck.

For instance the cup holder moulding and tackle box indent have been replaced with a full, flat beam type centre to provide a large area for mounting extras - there is a round, flat, reinforced "pad" right under the protection of the foredeck which fits the SCOTTY round, flush mount - I have fitted one now. A fish finder can be mounted on the flat central beam clear of the rod holder. The gunwales are wide enough to mount SCOTTY flush mount rectangular rod mounts, or even the standard pyramidal ones. The spray rail which forms the hull/deck join well it would if they were bonded - adds a significant amount of rigidity and the side decks are pretty thick and strong. A plywood backing plate would be a good idea even though to help spread the load.

The mods are the result of OK responding to angler feedback and trying to do what is asked for. The hull is proven and has been a benchmark in the States for a while. One of the most popualr and respected hulls in the kayak fishing line up.

Simon Everett

Staffordshire.

Fishing kayaks:

White& Orange Dorado

Olive Scupper Pro

Yellow Prowler Elite

Touring kayaks

Red White Skua

White & Orange Duo

lo ppl just a pic of me xportin ya to beach from carpark i had it well balanced for the trip i could move it with one finger

xportinyak.JPG

heres another of the yak on the beach with my m8 standing there making me feel inteligent lol

yakonbrightonbeach.JPG

beauty is in the eye of the beer holder

KAYAK :ok scupper pro (green)

launches 2009 1

species caught 1 cod