Cornwall Kayakers?

barramundi

Hi barramundi

I'm heading down to Hayle for a week's surfing and kayaking (judging by the big swell forecast for next week mostly surfing I expect).

I was hoping to try fishing around Porthcurno and Praa sands areas if the sea state is OK.

Do you know of any sheltered spots in W Cornwall for launching and fishing when the conditions are a bit dodgy?

Hi Barramundi & Richsurfer. Haven't heard from the Aussie for a bit, been glued to the cricket no doubt. A brilliant match that at Old Trafford. Shame either team had to lose - brilliant innings by Ponting and that Shane Warne is turning out to be a bit of a Botham.

Anyway, W. Cornwall spots.

North coast for Richsurfer - because you are going to Hayle. Watch out for the weavers in the sand on that stretch. You can vingle out sandeels in the Hayle estuary (use an old carving knife cut away to form a hook shape with a blunt cutting side. Drag it through the sand and you will feel when you find a sandeel - just hook it out and catch it with your other hand.

St. Ives Bay is worth a go - especially up towards Godrevy Island. Watch the tide rip.

Portreath is FILTHY. There is a sewer discharge further NW and it all gets washed into the Portreath bay and gets stuck there.....! The water turns BROWN. Don't go there ! A bit further SW around Zennor is briliant fishing and there are various little "ports" or coves to launch from.

Cape Cornwall is an easy launch - slip straight into the cove. Brilliant pollock fishing and some bass.

On the South coast - not far to go over the hill from Hayle area (8 miles!)Lamorna Cove, Muliion Cove, Praa, as you say, but the fishing isn't brilliant there. Kynance is a hell of a trek down the hill, but around the Lizard is worth fishing - Cadgwith or Coverack are probably the best spots - get there early to park at all!

BARAMUNDI: Plenty of places along the Penzance - Falmouth stretch. See those for Rsurfer above - the Lizard is right between your two centres, Coverack, Cadgewith and/or Church Cove on the eastern side. From Portoustock you can paddle out to the Manacles, but only if you have a fast kayak because the tide speed will make it hard wok in full flow otherwise.

Within Falmouth itslef there are public launching slips - easy walk to car park. Plenty of fishing in the Carrick Roads (main river Fal at the seaward end). Over the other side under St. Anthony's Light on Zone Point. Around Pendennis Castle there are rocks and reefs - good bass and pollack. Up the river flatfish - flounders in the creeks and Ray in the deep water.

Penzance - mounts bay is a bit of a lean patch really - never done any good within the bay. Better round towards Lamorna.

Hope that helps.

Simon Everett

Staffordshire.

Fishing kayaks:

White& Orange Dorado

Olive Scupper Pro

Yellow Prowler Elite

Touring kayaks

Red White Skua

White & Orange Duo

Thanks Simon - how did you get your encyclopedic knowledge of the Cornish coast?

I haven't got a fish-finder yet so what tactics as to where to fish are best employed when heading out from these spots in the yak (features to look out for etc.) - I was going to stick pretty close inshore going for mackerel,bass, pollock etc.

I'll give the vingling a try - not always easy to avoid the weavers though - a surfer mate stood on one and his leg went from pain to feeling totally numb for the rest of the day.

I used to spend a lot of time in Cornwall - perhaps surfing Portreath harbour wall sometimes was why I picked up plenty of gastro-intestinal upsets.

Hi Rich, Cornwall is my home - I know I now live in the smoke in the midlands, but I grew up at Mylor Bridge, on the Fal. Then when Dad retired from the sea he bought a charter bought operation in Plymouth, so we moved to the Yealm while I was still at school. Plenty of mates in both counties and just travelled the coast!

Going out, try trolling a set of mini shrimps - a modern day set of feathers! You will pick up mackerel and pollock -mackerel is what you want for your bait! I have said it before, ut I will say it again. Use the mackerel you catch on the way out for bait - so don't stop and catch too many. If you want to eat some, stop on the way in and get fresh ones. The mornings mackerel are already going limp by the time you come home - get some on the way home and eat them while they are still rigid - you will taste the difference!

Mustad mini shrimps are as good as any. The smaller ones seem to do better than the bigger ones.

Traditional west country rigs use a long, flowing trace, called a flying collar - from a boat anything up to 15 feet long traces are used. In a kayak this is impractical, but the extra movement undoubtedly helps catch fish. Try using a trace about the same length as the rod, preferably 1 foot shorter. This is because you can then handle the trace easily while sat still - raise the rod and the fish is rigt beside you! Set up is dead simple - slide weight onto reel line. Slide small bead onto reel line. Tie swivel on end of reel line. Tie trace to swivel. Tie hook to trace! Thats it. A true flying colar uses a boom. What I do is attach a snap swivel (I like the gemini link swivels now)then the french boom can be simply clipped onto the reel line and a weight attached to the boom by a split ring. Your trace goes on the end of the boom - again, I use a snap swivel for this.

The beauty of the link swivel is you can unclip the mini shrimps and clip on the boom rig - easy as that. On the flying collar rig, which was developed for fishing redgills over wrecks and deep water reefs, you can also use bait. A long sliver of mackerel will take most fish - fillet off one side, then on the fleshy side you will see a blood line running end to end - this is the inside of the lateral line and demarks the set of the muscles. Cut lengthways down the line - you have two baits there. Hook through the fleshy side and then back through so the hook point lies on the flesh side. Hook through the thicker end. Let it swim on the bottom! Rocky ground, just touch bottom and wind up three or four turns - then wait. When you feel knocks, just start winding in gently - you should continue to feel knocks - then suddenly your rod will arch to the water. That is the classic method of catching pollock - set your drag before you start or even a medium fish will smash you up!

On clean ground you can let the weight stay closer to the bottom - the long trace keeps your bait flowing near the seabed anyway and you can get turbot, ling, bream, bass, pollock, conger (horrid things)gurnard, ray - all sorts of stuff!

One mackerel gives you 4 baits this way - 5 if you use the head for tope/conger type fishing.

Hope you get some decent weather and land some nice fish.

Be lucky,

Simon.

Simon Everett

Staffordshire.

Fishing kayaks:

White& Orange Dorado

Olive Scupper Pro

Yellow Prowler Elite

Touring kayaks

Red White Skua

White & Orange Duo

Yeah I agree Richsurfer, have fished below Nancekuke on many an occasion, last time couple of months ago, was also in the water at Porthtowan. Result..inner ear infection, 3 lots of antibiotics, and antibiotic and steroidal ear drops to clear it up.

Not a coincidence that Surfers Against Sewage started off up the road in St Agnes. Mind you the North Cliffs outfall does attract some cracking mullet.

Trouble is, if there is a good wave you're going out whatever is in the water (except maybe a great white).

Wouldn't be sure about eating the fish from bad sewage areas - probably safer than swallowing the water though.

Not sure I've picked the best week for kayak fishing in W Cornwall - there's a long period 6m swell forecast for later next week, along with the first of the autumn lows coming over - I'll have to try round the S. coast estuaries.

• 2 weeks later...

Cheers for the tips etc

I fish the south coast / lizard almost exclusivly. I see no point in hitting the north coast, im haveing a great time and catching plenty of Bass this year(on fly). I see simon is well genned up on the local area from his post.

I MUST get a yak!! Ive been eyeing up the best looking mark you could hope to find. I know guys who rope down to it but I would rather float than climmb.I almost made myself sick(hung over) this morning trying to get down to it.

Its about 1 mile from the closest launch area.

Im thinking about a 13 foot prowler

Is the 15 foot very different?

Richsurfer

Porthleven is home to the best wave (allegedly) in the UK although the cribber at Newquay fires a couple of times a year

My contact details are on this web page.

web page

Give us a buzz if your around

Austen

Just had my week in Cornwall - might see you down there next year Austen as I've booked 5 weeks next summer holidays at Hayle again.

Having the yak to fish from was brilliant - my brother and I (both total beginners at sea fishing)never blanked once. We were only catching 'easy' fish but it was good fun on light gear getting loads of mackerel, small pollock, garfish and mullet.

The scenery and wildlife you get to see from the yak was stunning too. Even had a sun fish drift by us on its side in Mount's Bay - it was big, and with its top fin flapping out of the water now and again we thought it was a shark from a distance.

With regards to the waves, last weds even Mount's Bay was breaking. From what I've seen Porthleven is the best - the Cribber looks more of a big challenge than a good ride. N. Fistral used to be my favourite, but since my separation from Cornwall its now Kimmeridge and Lynmouth when they break.

Surfing on a yak is way more difficult than standing up!

• 5 years later...
Anyone yaking near falmouth / penzance??

Hi Barramundi, my names Jona, I've just bought a tarpon 100 from Wild Things in Piece. I'm a coarse angler who has now moved to Porthleven & live just above "The Ship" looking down on the surf dudes doing their thing below me. I want to get into fishing at sea from my Yak, been out once but no joy as yet. Would be great to share a pint with you and possibly share a bit of water time as well. If you go to The Ship around 5.30pm I am often there, I've looked you up and know that you live opposite a friend of mine, Martin, who has Sunset farm. Just ask for me at the bar, staff or locals know who I am. Interested ?