Multiplier Advice

SpeciMan

I was thinking of buying a pair of the new Fladen Maxximus reels but I don't think it has a ratchet.

I guess we've all got different ways of fishing. A ratchet could be an important feature for me as sometimes I like to snooze on my yak or I'm facing away from the rod tips and can't see the bite (the drag on my fixed spool is normally set loose and I often wait for the reel to scream). I looked at the SLOSH 20 reel but I don't think it has a ratchet.

Can anyone recommend a quality reel in the SLOSH 20 capacity range which has a ratchet?

Kaskazi Dorado - Yellow

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

A GOOD Abu 7000 second hand - you want one from the 80's if you can. They were bullet proof and you can still get parts. The new ones are not a patch on the old Swedish built ones.

Have you looked at the small Penn Internationals - 595 is it? Gold coloured anyway - good enough for some of those fast fish they get in warm waters.

Simon Everett

Staffordshire.

Fishing kayaks:

White& Orange Dorado

Olive Scupper Pro

Yellow Prowler Elite

Touring kayaks

Red White Skua

White & Orange Duo

I have never used any of the fladen reels personally, I rely on my slosh and penn's. You wont go far wrong with either the sl20 or the penn 525, both have a rachet (spool click) both are workhorses and both are competitevly priced, both reels are vitually indestructible.

Expect to pay no more than £70 for either.

I'm not against fladen gear it's just from my own experience from years of abuse to the slosh and penn.

1 on the lure is worth 2 from the bait.

Location Pembrokeshire

Kayak's

OK Prowler Trident Yellow

Kaskazi Pelican Orange on White ( CEZI B ) from www.kayakuk.com

Wilderness Tarpon 120 Yellow

Dughters Kayak OK Venus Blue & White (Kristi Boo)

Cobra Fish & Dive Blue

Tamar For Angle R.N.L.I

SpeciMan, I bought a SL20SH for the Tope trip, never liked multipliers before then, fixed spool man meself. Got to say I've grown to love it, never fish without it and yes it has a ratchet and built in rod clamp, looks tough as well, was put off the ABU's as I've seen a few relatively new ones that look really tatty, the paint chips and falls off the plastic bits, inside their tough outside the new ones are cheap. My opinion probably going to get slated now. :D

Oh and if Henry Gilbey uses them, then they are good enough for me :)

SM :)

http://www.anglersafloat.co.uk

Kayaks: Ocean Kayak Caper (Sunrise)

Ocean Kayak Scupper Pro

Ocean Kayak Malibu 2 XL (Sunrise)

Ocean Kayak Trident 15

Wilderness Systems Tarpon 140 Angler (Yellow)

Malibu Mini-X

A member of B.A.S.S www.ukbass.com

I forgot to say, it casts well as well. :) even when sitting down. :D

Ocean Kayak Scupper Pro

Ocean Kayak Trident 15

Malibu Mini-X

I agree with marv about the Abu. When they were made in sweeden they were a precision tool, not super tough but super smooth. Now most of them are made in the far east, even some of the "made in Sweeden" ones, the parts are maufactured in the far east and assembled in Sweeden. These days they are not as good as they used to be, precision and mass maunufacturing do not go hand in hand.

It's a shame as the old red 7000's are a fine peice of kit and there are still a hell of a lot of them still knocking around.

Oh and the Penn 955 - 975 international series are a fine peice of kit if you can afford 1 (the 975 LD is super smooth and bomb proof)

[ 11. September 2005, 09:31 PM: Message edited by: GB ]

1 on the lure is worth 2 from the bait.

Location Pembrokeshire

Kayak's

OK Prowler Trident Yellow

Kaskazi Pelican Orange on White ( CEZI B ) from www.kayakuk.com

Wilderness Tarpon 120 Yellow

Dughters Kayak OK Venus Blue & White (Kristi Boo)

Cobra Fish & Dive Blue

Tamar For Angle R.N.L.I

Hiya Starvin.

I know what your saying about the Abu's.For beach casting I have always used them.The best 2 I have are the Abu6500ct Which I converted and took of the level wind.The other good one is the (Green)magalite.Its 7 years old now and was used about 3 times a week up untill last year.

Last year I decided to buy a sports mag(Big mistake)It is expensive rubbish.Nearly all plastic on the inside,the paint has all chiped off.The star drag broke and the Plastic bit for adjusting the mags broke.I wouldnt recomend them to anyone.

The 6500ct is about 25 years old and still going strong.Thats what I use on my Kayak now :D

Zzippy

zzippy2.gif

I am swaying back over to something larger than a 6500 spool - can't but help think that with the Purbeck fishing I will be doing it will be easier with a slighter larger reel bringing fish up around rocks and through kelp.Without a finder I haven't fished the Purbecks yet apart from the Swanage/Durlston bay trip but this will change.

I must admit I thought the SL20SH felt solid and smooth when I picked one up the other week. A 'newbie question' - if it comes with a rod clamp will it still fit into a standard reel seat or does it just clamp around it? :)

[ 11. September 2005, 09:48 PM: Message edited by: SpeciMan ]

Kaskazi Dorado - Yellow

Yep, took my clamp off, probably only needed when you are using coasters. You could always go up to a SL30SH, retrieve on the SL20SH is very fast.

Ocean Kayak Scupper Pro

Ocean Kayak Trident 15

Malibu Mini-X