Multiplier Advice

SpeciMan

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I was talking about pike as well....I often use jerkbaits that are 4oz or more on braid, with a wire trace and no mono leader, but thats not a power cast.

If I was using a big dead bait and blasting it, yep, I'd go with a mono shockleader, but if the total weight of lead and bait isn't much a smooth cast would be fine with heavy braid, say >60lb, and no mono.

Hungry Fisherman:

well back to multiplyers i got an abu 5500 c3 and a sl20sh do have a bid for that camo one

lets see what happens   :D  

Well done Hungry. I think I'll end up buying two different sized reels for yak fishing too. I think the small 555 maxximus reels will handle big fish (up to a point) but as Niftys found with his ABU 6500, when frequently fishing for bigger fish, something a bit beefier will be better.

After testing out the Maxximus reels yesterday I am very happy with them - they feel very smooth and with the rod and reel being light its easy to just hold the rod in your hand for extended periods whilst fishing. The true test will be time - early days at the moment.

Kaskazi Dorado - Yellow

thought i woulda had me fullcarbon rods by now no sutch luck was thinking of getting a 10/20 for the abu 5500 and maybe a size larger rods for the sl20sh may even have a mag 535 soon ^^ ill be using em with me beachcasters as well so not all beef for the kayak lol its just i prefer a beafier rod for working mackerel or any task where i just fancy a big bait like a whole joey for bass etc [like ill catch one thatll eat a whole joey lol] may even get a chance to go for tope next year i already plan on doing a weekend job camping out or a weekday job for 5 days camp close to the kayak launch point

i so wanna fish a nice rocky cliff mark too next year that reminds me winters here looks like ill have to get a full length 5mm neoprene wet suit i doubt my cag and paddle trousers will be enuff

beauty is in the eye of the beer holder

KAYAK :ok scupper pro (green)

launches 2009 1

species caught 1 cod

Hungry Fisherman:

that reminds me winters here looks like ill have to get a full length 5mm neoprene wet suit i doubt my cag and paddle trousers will be enuff

Hungry if you already have a dry cag and trousers just layer up underneath with thermal high wicking layers but make sure your cag and trousers are properly sealed to increase the time before leakage arises if you're in the water.

Recommend looking at fleece undersuits/tops/bottoms and those with Polartec Power Stretch & Power Dry fabric.

Its not always obvious what fabric is being used due to branding so try and find out first - for example, the Mysterioso base layers Kayak Fishing Stuff sell and swear by are made from 'M-Tech' which is in fact Polartec Powerstretch.

Available in the UK, an equivalent would be some of the gear Immersion Research sell. I recently bought an IR undersuit with a neoprene collar (where you enter the suit) and the rest is made of Powerdry and Powerstretch. On its own I've found its not really warm enough for when it gets really cold but add a fleece layer on top of that (eg Polartec 100) and it should be fine.

Kaskazi Dorado - Yellow

i find my paddling trouser even though they have a neoprene at ankles and waist they let water in evident when i lift my leg to stretch etc and it runs up to my bum and make my shorts wet in side :( so was gonna get a 5 mm wetsuit full length theres a sale near me so i can get a £120 for about 50 60 squids

beauty is in the eye of the beer holder

KAYAK :ok scupper pro (green)

launches 2009 1

species caught 1 cod