Flounders

SpeciMan

wont be able to make it for 7 :/ i live so far away if i make it for 9 ill have to locate bait and stuff by the time start fishing itll feel like home time again

beauty is in the eye of the beer holder

KAYAK :ok scupper pro (green)

launches 2009 1

species caught 1 cod

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi, I understand that exmouth is good for flounder, is that correct??? and are they around at the moment does anyone know, thanks terry

If only I had all the money for all the toys I want,;-(

Got most of them now, Just working on that Harley in blue ;-)

Well I knew it had to happen sometime but didn't expect it today-I blanked :(

Everything looked good and I was very pleased with my modified spoon but the only fish I saw were big mullet following the spoon nearly every time I reeled in to rebait.

My excuse is that I was only out for two hours and the water was gin clear :rolleyes: Haven't given up 'though and it got me thinking about using the spoon for other fish.

Hope eveyone else did better

Jon.

"Some times the earth appears stale,flat and tedious, when lifes petty restrictions strangles the spirit and when a crowd of fellow mortals affects one as a collection of hopeless and soulless oafs,then all that is left to you is to take to the sea"

Hi Terry

Exmouth... arguably the Exe and the Teign are the best flounder rivers in the country,however in recent years the dreaded trawlers found there spawning grounds in Lyme Bay.Gave them a real hard hammering .Sold them for fertilizer apparently. They never learn .There are still some good specimens to be had .

Send me a mail and I can hopefully put you on some good marks.

Chuggs

[ 07. October 2005, 08:41 PM: Message edited by: chuggs ]

Hiya Chuggs.

Been fishing the Teign Lifeboat comp for a good few years now.

The Tiegn has shown a huge decline in fish.

They just dont appear to be there in numbers anymore.

This has been noticed over the past four years, not just by my own catch rates, but by overall wiegh ins, and reports from other anglers at the comp.

Sadly the Exe is following suit.

Havnt fished it for Flounder for a couple of years now, but hope to have a go this winter.

So get your flask ready :D

YY :)

Zzippy and I fished Poole Harbour today. Only managed one flattie although the fishing was non stop with quite a few slack liners and flounderish bites. Lots of school bass caught and I christened my new telescopic (minispecies) rod with a reasonable one.

On the paddle down we passed a few landing craft. The marines were on a training exercise.

sbs.jpg

Although we fished mid channel between some islands(where I caught my flounder) a good hour or so was spent on dry(ish!) land. We found a small island and fished the rods from the back of the yaks. Had a fair few flounder bites here (but couldn't connect) however we did catch a number of bass.

island.jpg

Zzippy working the rods.

workingrods.jpg

When we paddled back towards launch point we anchored in the Wareham Channel for a while. Bass were rounding up bait fish bringing them up to the surface. The seagulls were going crazy picking off the fish as they came up.

seagulls.jpg

Thats all folks :)

Kaskazi Dorado - Yellow

Nice write up and pics Simon,

Were you using the flounder spoons and booby beads or using a straightforward leger rig?

Also, what baits were you using? as you seem to have suffered the same problems as me, being unable to connect with positive looking bites, do you think scaling down in hook size would have helped?

I'm just trying to get some ideas to try this weekend to increase the catch rate with the spoon.

I'm going to try mussel on the flounder spoon instead of worm, on the principal that a smaller bait may be easier for them to swallow than the larger lug bait I used last time.

I think the method has got plenty of things going for it, and is certainly more interesting than sitting staring at the rod tip while the crabs strip the hook, and not just for flounder but Bass as well, and possibly Turbot off the beach.

The fly rod is also going to get a good airing as well on the flounder in the next few months cos I'm sure there must be a way of getting them on that.

All the Best

Stuart.

hello all

i been catching flounder about 600 yds out from mack rock just to the north and found that if you tie a small piece of red wool about 2 inches long to the top of the hook by the eye.

using worm as bait they seam to take it a lot better i think its the movement of the red wool that makes them bite that bit harder .when i took the red wool off i had problems hitting the bites but as soon as i put it back on nearly every bite is a fish on had 12 flounder and about 40 pollock last time out using the wool for the flounder.

terry

great pic,s wish I had been out there with you, and thanks for the tip on the red wool, As I understand it flounder like movement near the hook, I have tryed coloured beads after reading about them in total sea fishing, they worked for me. be good terry

If only I had all the money for all the toys I want,;-(

Got most of them now, Just working on that Harley in blue ;-)