Flounders

SpeciMan

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My flounder was caught on a running ledger with a size 1 hook and a large ragworm. I was surprised the flattie went for such a large worm (over a foot long). We had lots of rods out yesterday - a few hooks were down to size 2 but still didn't connect. I didn't spend much time using a spoon. There were guys fishing the shore a little way off from us -- maybe they faired better.

The red wool idea sounds interesting - will give that a go if I can get away with removing a thread from my partners jumper. :D

Kaskazi Dorado - Yellow

Hi all got my fishing gear up together and while her in doors is up north I am planning to get out on the water this afternoon, to hell with the DIY who needs kitchen worktop anyway,lols. wish me well terry

If only I had all the money for all the toys I want,;-(

Got most of them now, Just working on that Harley in blue ;-)

Hi Guys.

For the those who are a little new to Flounder fishing.

All the attractors in the world, and the best bait, are no good at all unless you give the fish time to get the bait in.

Leave a Flounder bite for a good few minuets, keep whaching the rod tip.

When your satisfied the fish has had time, wind into the fish,DONT strike.

Just a thought. :)

Yakity,

I agree with the waiting game,sometimes I've just let out line instead of striking and let the fish virtually hook itself.

Another thought re:spoons-the modern ones ,to my mind, don't have enough swivels on them.Lots seem to have one swivel then a short length of line to the hook.I replicated my old spoons recently and did away with the line to the hook.Instead I added two more swivels and split rings adding the angled aberdeen to the last swivel(making sure it clears the spoon obviously)

The important point,and the reason for the extra swivels is that the hook/bait should NEVER spin with the spoon,merely trail behind,

cheers Jon

"Some times the earth appears stale,flat and tedious, when lifes petty restrictions strangles the spirit and when a crowd of fellow mortals affects one as a collection of hopeless and soulless oafs,then all that is left to you is to take to the sea"

Yakity, this is the problem perhaps we wait too long! We always let the bites develop.

We didn't spin or use plugs as we were fishing in the middle of the bass nursery area in season - direclty targetting the bass here is illegal although they will obviously go for baits we put out for the flounder.

I find flattie fishing quite slow but I've heard that on its day and in the right place the harbour can fish very well for them so thats keeping the interest up for me.

Kaskazi Dorado - Yellow

Hi Musket.

On a personal note, Ill fish bait behind the spoon( when I use one )and will have it at least 6 inches behind the spoon, sometimes 12.

Works atreat for me anyway......different strokes for different folks, as long as we are all happy catching a fish or two.

On the swivel front, yes, I too have a swivel, top and bottom of the spoon.

Once a bite is seen, Ill wait for the rod to nod a few times, but keep the tention on the line to stay in contact with the fish.

Nice to hear how other people fish and share different approaches. :)

Hi Speciman.

With Flounder, I dont think there is a too long, well, not being sensible anyway :D

Because they have such small mouths it takes the poor old Flounder a while to get all the bait plus hook in.

This will be shown by the rod tip nodding, then stopping, then nodding again, and so on.

After a while, you just know when the fish is on.

I realy enjoy Flounder fishing, because you HAVE to be patient, you cant strike, but wind into the fish.

Keep the slack line in, and feel the fish, if your in a stand, again keep the slack in.

Love it , cant wait,havnt done any yet this year.

YY :)

[ 08. October 2005, 05:09 PM: Message edited by: Yakity - Yak - u.k. ]