Flounders

SpeciMan

i dunno mutch about fishing for flounders but i heard ya keep a spoon moving all the time or put it on the top snood if ya casted out so it wibbles in the current and every couple mind wind a turn on ya reel also using the turn to feel if a flounder is hooked itll feel heavier etc etc any of that true? love the red wool idea

beauty is in the eye of the beer holder

KAYAK :ok scupper pro (green)

launches 2009 1

species caught 1 cod

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I hear what you're saying Yakity - I've had a few flounder myself although this year has been slow for me. Flounder season starting again so trying to find the hot spots where you can get more than 3 in a session :)

Kaskazi Dorado - Yellow

Hi HF.

Quite right, moving the spoon will help. especialy when the water is slow moving.

Another thing I like to do, is once you have cast the bait, and its settled, give the rod a long gentle pull, somtimes in very soft mud, the lot gets buried, over mussle beds and the like no need.

YY :)

Hi Speciman.

Hope you dont think Im trying to tell you how to suck eggs:)

Dont know about your neck of the woods, but here on the Exe and the Tiegn rivers, the catch rates have gone right down.

Noticed a huge difference over the past 5/7 years.

The Flounder just dont seem to be there in numbers, or the sizes we used to get.

Like Chuggs said on another post, the trawlers hit them hard a while back, and sold them off as fish meal/manure.

Lets hope they recover soon.

Speaking to members from a club I used to fish with I get the distinct impression there were more flatties in Poole Harbour 20 years ago!

I know that a few 4lbers have come out in recent years - these dustbin lids are enough incentive for me to keep at it. :D

Kaskazi Dorado - Yellow

SpeciMan:

I've heard that on its day and in the right place the harbour can fish very well for them so thats keeping the interest up for me.

That sums up Poole harbour flounder perfectly! The fish are either where you are fishing or they aren't and there's no surefire way of predicting where, exactly, they will show up. It's the chance of a potential biggy that keeps me trying for one on the fly ( without success yet ). I'm planning a session with some of the guys from the UKSWFF in November, so hopfully with that many flies being pulled around we ought to foul hook something :D

Further to SpeciMan & Zzippys report, I fished a shore match yesterday along the same stretch of the harbour, apparently only 3 fish were landed between 60 odd anglers, 2 flounders at baiter, the other from Ham park. We blanked, but there was alot of surface activity just as the flood started, probably small bass. There is an abundence of small bass in the harbour which is obviously very encouraging for future years.

Scotty

No Luck This Time..............Roll On Next Time

Thanks for the update Scotty. I agree about the school bass the harbour is teeming with them.

I'm off out for another bash at the flatties shortly but I'm heading to another part of the harbour so this will be an exploratory trip. I don't have lots of little bags to take bass scale samples but will get organised for next time.

Kaskazi Dorado - Yellow