This Kayak cart will take some beating.

Yakity - Yak - u.k.

Hi guys.

Been looking around for a decent cart for the yak for sometime now.

The one I have is o.k. but could be improved on.

Like many, I have been down the route of making them up out of polly pipe etc.

With the recent problems of leaking scupper holes,it has highlighted the fact that this is a potential weak point of the sit-on-top design.

So to ram pipes inside of them to locate a cart seems like a silly thing to do.

Adding even more stress to an already weak spot.

Hopefully our Kayaks will last us a good few years and give hours of fun, if we take care of them, and treat them well.

On that note......take a look at this.

apart1.jpg

http://www.paddlecart.com/index.htm

I have already made enquiries about having one shipped over.

I just think this is a very well designed and thought out piece of kit, that deserves to be aired,and shared

Let me know what you think??

YY :)

[ 09. October 2005, 05:11 PM: Message edited by: Yakity - Yak - u.k. ]

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Cart looks good Yakity.. as for design I guess it comes to down to what you are comfortable using.

After seeing the sit on style trolleys in action I bought the purpose made scupper hole trolley from Eckla.

Yes the scupper holes are a potential weakpoint but its a risk I'm willing to take. Treat the kayak with respect when its on the trolley and it should be ok.

Any problems with scuppers will probably arise when you first get the yak and you have chance to return it.

With the way my trolley is designed a lot of the kayaks wieght rests on the rubber supports which lie horizontal to the yak taking pressure off the scuppers.

We've all heard of leaking scuppers through poor manufacturing but I haven't yet heard of leaking scuppers caused by trolley abuse ( :D ). If I do I will consider the sit on style.

Kaskazi Dorado - Yellow

Hi Speciman.

Fine mate if your happy with your choice, and design of cart :)

I see what your saying about the kayak sitting on the horizontal bars, supporting the kayaks wieght.

But for people going over shingle-soft sand-pebbles they will need to think also of the twisting effect the kayak goes through.

Also take into account what you carry on the Kayak when getting to the launch site.

No..... there hasnt been a report of leaking or damaged scuppers through trolley abuse.......YET:D

But to my mind, courting a problem, chancing it, isnt a good choice......but thats just my oppinion. :D

Let me know when you change:p :D

Bill,

I for one like the look of that trolley. Built out of aluminium by any chance?

I articularly like the V shape for taking the hull - looks like it was designed for the longer touring kayaks, but will be handsome for the fishing types.

I have also seen the trolley that Fishyak are going to be including in their package with the Malibu X Factor. It too is a lovely trolley with captive straps and plenty of paded support on twin bunks. A really good trolley that goes in the forward hold - two lynch pins hold the wheels on and that's it - much like this one.

The Eckla that I have also works fine going forwards, but becuase it is a fold up design, when you try to back up abit - it folds up! Then you have to take it off, reset it, strap it back on and off you go. UNLESS I have been a muppet and forgotten to lock somethig in place which prevents it from folding (I might have you know :D:D )

Simon Everett

Staffordshire.

Fishing kayaks:

White& Orange Dorado

Olive Scupper Pro

Yellow Prowler Elite

Touring kayaks

Red White Skua

White & Orange Duo

Hi Simon.

Glad you like it, it caught my attention and interest as soon as I saw it, quality.

Apparently its made from industrial grade ally, and wieghs less than seven pounds.

Most of it is welded together, aso no fear of loosing nuts and bolts etc, he says.

As you say Simon, the trolly linked to the X Factor is a well made bit of kit too.

Wonder how much that one wieghs?.....we know what it COSTS :D

I have simular problems with my cart on occasion, although it does the job for most of the time, it does fail now and then.

Going up some of the slopes we use, it needs to be reliable, nothing worse than some smart arsed grockle pi$$ing himself laughing whaching you struggle to get your pride and joy back onto its wheels, while trying to escape back down the slope on its own :D

I once forgot to tighten the straps Ive rigged on it, was talking to a guy on the beach who had his girlfriend with him, after our chat, I said goodbye, picked up the Mistress by the toggle, gave a good pull to get her moving in the soft sand, and the yak and me shot forward in a heap, embarressed......noooooooo :D

[ 09. October 2005, 06:25 PM: Message edited by: Yakity - Yak - u.k. ]

Don't forget the 22% to cover the customs and VAT, plus £8 for parcel force... gggrrrrrr, oh and the chance that your credit card will give you a really crap rate on the dollar... no I'm not bitter... well just a bit. :(

Nice looking trolley Yakity, got to admit I don't like the Eckla strap-on variety for the very same reasons that you point out above, think that the Malibu-X trolley may suffer with the same problem, but like Simon says a nice bit of kit none the less.

SM :)

http://www.anglersafloat.co.uk

Kayaks: Ocean Kayak Caper (Sunrise)

Ocean Kayak Scupper Pro

Ocean Kayak Malibu 2 XL (Sunrise)

Ocean Kayak Trident 15

Wilderness Systems Tarpon 140 Angler (Yellow)

Malibu Mini-X

A member of B.A.S.S www.ukbass.com

Hi

Yakity , have to agree with you about scupper holes being a week point on yaks.

Having used a scupper version for a while I felt the stress loadings on the scuppers when dragging the yak through soft sand/deep shingle etc unacceptable. I know the weight of the yak sits on the rubber stops, as has been pointed out.But the very fact that the trolley sits at an angle means the stress when dragging through sand etc are on the sides of the scupper hole.NOT GOOD, as any engineer will tell you.So with that in mind ,after some hard negotiations at the dump for two kiddies scooters needed for the alloy[ £ 2.50p,] I cunningly fashioned this sit on trolley that fits in the hatch of a p13.

The padded rests sit exactly on each side of the keel,no side movement what so ever when strapped .

It was only a prototype ,but I don't think I can improve on it,It works perfectly.

Any suggestions for improvement gratefully received.

44444.JPG

[ 10. October 2005, 05:36 PM: Message edited by: chuggs ]

Hi I like the look of the above, but there again I like anything that someone builds with their own hands, If I may I will copy the above design, I use to work for a company that used lots of aluminium, maybe able to get some when I am in oxon and copy your design, will need to use bolts as don,t have tig welder these days.

also like bills to but the price with all the postage add ons, someone needs to go to the us and buy us all the things we need or just buy us things ;-) I must say it makes me mad the price we buy over here for our hobbies yet the yanks have better gear at 1/2 the price.terry

If only I had all the money for all the toys I want,;-(

Got most of them now, Just working on that Harley in blue ;-)