Are You Serious?

Bob Jerunkel

I've read threads on here recently about what is sustainable fishing, and also about a possible alliance between anglers and commercial fishermen.

I think the two might be able to work together if we can find something to agree on first.

First of all I think sustainable fishing will only happen if people recognise that to catch fish before breeding age is daft.

If we can form any alliance anglers and commercial fishermen will have to agree to work together to get landing sizes of all fish raised to a size where they will have bred before being caught.

If either party is unwilling to work toward this then we are wasting our time and should go back to working for angling interests only.

Theres enough commercial fishermen who use this board to let us know what they think.

Lets hear what you've got to say on that.

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest @AUTUMN@
I've read threads on here recently about what is sustainable fishing, and also about a possible alliance between anglers and commercial fishermen.

I think the two might be able to work together if we can find something to agree on first.

First of all I think sustainable fishing will only happen if people recognise that to catch fish before breeding age is daft.

If we can form any alliance anglers and commercial fishermen will have to agree to work together to get landing sizes of all fish raised to a size where they will have bred before being caught.

If either party is unwilling to work toward this then we are wasting our time and should go back to working for angling interests only.

Theres enough commercial fishermen who use this board to let us know what they think.

Lets hear what you've got to say on that.

MMmmmmmmmmmm This sounds fun.

Yep id be quite happy if the size limit were raised. Lots of big fish to catch - Not.

But the commercials do not think over fishing is happening, they all think there are lots of fish.

Strange when you think about it as loads of them have gone to the wall.

BASS MEMBER

IGFA Member.

Supporting ethical angling practices and wise use and conservation of fishery resources!

SACN Member.

NFSA Member.

Getting confused by politics!

MY LIST IS LONGER THAN YOURS!

I will go along with that bob, but first you have got to get the anglers to agree? i do. and will stick my 2/3lb bass back, but you may have trouble with others who may not want to return their codling of 5lb or less, back to the sea ??????

I Fish For Sport Not Me Belly

Guest @AUTUMN@

You might be quite surprised Stavey. If everyone had to put back fish of those size and you could gauruntee there were no undersize dead discards then there would be lots more fish of 5 pound plus in the sea. Who would not want a situation like that???? Im sick of catching 1-2 pounders. Give me a big fat double any day.

The trouble is though guys were fantasising again.

Yah autumn, it wont come to that nobody catches cod of 5lb down here anymore (not off the beach anyhow)

the last double i caught off the beach at 12lb was in 1988, an awfully long time ago.........

Yah autumn, it wont come to that nobody catches cod of 5lb down here anymore (not off the beach anyhow)

the last double i caught off the beach at 12lb was in 1988, an awfully long time ago.........

I can't see why it can't happen.

Its really simple.

You put small fish back to grow bigger and breed.

The result is more and bigger fish.

It's not rocket science and if anyone can't see the benefits enough to be able to return 1kg bass or 2kg codling, then we really are doomed and don't deserve more and bigger fish.

I stick everything i catch back bob, i like to think a majority of it survives? so i dont need a reason anyhow, the commercials will think i am nutts but there you go, i dont eat much fish and certainly none of that battered crap from the local chippy, you cant exactly call that fish anymore, the stuff that binatone and wurzel catches aint probably fit for me dog now, you have to think that in todays environment with the stocks so run down that the qaulity must have gone down to, i know from the last piece of cod i had a couple of years back from the so called deep north sea it was like a plate of watery mush, and an expensive piece of watery mush to boot.

Still bob, it does make common sence to only take (if any) the mature fish ( atleast they have had a chance to breed) so i say yes stick them back why not i have been doing it for years, and before you ask binatone/wurzel etc why do you go at all? well i call it a sport! i shal be down the beach tomorrow morning angling with my light carp rods and baitrunner reels catching bass from the surf enjoying every powerful lunge each one makes on such light gear, and then tacking a picture of this magnificent creature before i carefully release it back to its home to fight another day or, hopefully for me to catch again to repeat the whole experience on my hard earnt days off work...........

i agree 100% about putting fish back! problem is with match fishing when fish have to be taken to scales for weigh in. example being the diawa end of the month! you only have to go the weigh in to see 100s of fish being wasted whiting at under a lb in carrier bags.. :angry:

hello mate cought anything yet? grrrrrrrr!

Guest @AUTUMN@

Shame someone couldnt get you a pic of a trawlers discards. If you worry so much about the daiwa match youd have a fecking heart attack if you saw what goes back over the side dead from the commercial sector.