Are You Serious?

Bob Jerunkel

Hello john, you are not in my area but a point i would like to raise is about those people who sein and gil net from the beach on foot ei, no boat required, now as i understand it these people do not need a license to sell their catch? or do they? this year all summer and even today these people are taking away boxes of sole school bass and mullet from the beach this is crippleing what little bit of sport we have for us shore anglers and this must be stopped, this is not one or two local boys but gangs of up to a dozen blokes at a time, a warning to you and anybody else that if you dont have this happening in your area now" it will soon be.

Even if we were given the gil net restrictions of up to a mile proposed in the bass management plan this will not apply to sein netting or any other type, if it is being dragged or moved along the beach...........

I Fish For Sport Not Me Belly

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hello Ken & Stavey,

Netting restrictions are covered under SWSFC Byelaw

Seine nets

I believe only certain areas and licenses enable reistered netsman to use this fishing method!

Gill nets are used commonly down here as well normally outside of lowest tidal mark and are set by boat, those set within the lw mark are illegal and the numbers shown on markers should be recorded and reported to SFC's ASAP. Gangs operate mostly up east at aberthaw etc and are easily recognised by their precariouse behaviours including Rottweilers etc. Stay away from them, they are big trouble?

Nets being dragged along the shore have been in existence since before iwere born and only for licensed nets man again, if in doubt talk to them ask them about their experience in chat and what are you likely to catch?

If they tell you nothing much only dogs you know they are lying, as their nets are there for something more lucrative.

Always be safe, think of yourself before endangering yourself or friends.

SWSFC Home-page

John Edwards

RSA for South & South West Wales

Hello john, you are not in my area but a point i would like to raise is about those people who sein and gil net from the beach on foot ei, no boat required

Like These

MulletNetting1Reduced.jpg

Tight Lines - leon

RNLI Shoreline Member

Member of the Angling Trust

Hello Leon,

Did you report these people? Or question their being on the beach using nets? If so what was the outcome?

J

The picture was taken around 12 years ago, by someone else, but as Stavey says still goes on in some areas, and is perfectly legal.

We all have a right to take fish from the sea, whether by hook or net (magna carta preceeded Recreational Sea Angling!).

And you only need a licence to take fish for profit if you are operating from a powered vessel.

John, you say that nets are illegal at low water in your area.

Byelaws will differ from SFC to SFC.

Byelaws relating to where and when nets can be set, their length, mesh sizes etc apply to both licensed and unlicensed fishermen.

Some SFCs have bylaws that are meant to protect salmon and trout migrations (which always swim high in the water column) where the headline of a fixed net (otherwise know as a 'fixed engine') must be a certain depth at all states of the tide. Where those byelaws apply, fixed nets will be illegal above the low water mark.

Tight Lines - leon

RNLI Shoreline Member

Hello Leon,

Where nets impede the safety of bathers then SFC's have a right to impound the nets whether the Magna carta deems right. safety is paramount and if a bather is caught or drowned the netsman setting the nets is liable!

Judging by the shorts and clothing summer or early spring is the season and bathers are out in force?

Edited by John Edwards

John Edwards

Hello Leon,

Where nets impede the safety of bathers then SFC's have a right to impound the nets whether the Magna carta deems right. safety is paramount and if a bather is caught or drowned the netsman setting the nets is liable!

Judging by the shorts and clothing summer or early spring is the season and bathers are out in force?

Hi John,

Can you point me to anywhere where that is written?

I've not heard it before.

Tight Lines - leon

RNLI Shoreline Member

Hi, I am from florida in the USA.

In our experience both need regulation. But if the regulation is not enforced nothing works. Not to say that all commercial fisherman do the wrong thing. But remember they are trying to make a living$$$$$$$$. Their trying to make $$$$$$ today. When rules are put in place many of them will go out of bussiness. Also many of the rec fisherman will have to release fish that look very nice on the table. No pain no gain, every one has to pay. Alliance's are hard to work out, specially when the party's have opposeing side and interest.

Hello leon,

If you contact SWSFC or the EA they will tell you about nets at LW marks and the dangers they impose on bathers, they will remove them if they know about them.

Cheers

J

Hello Bottomfish,

You are right m8, there will always be something no matter what sport or hobby we all have.

You normally find the netsman out where there are no anglers on the shore hence no direct impact on the fishing on that day. But the arguement goes on that those are tomorrows fish etc. there is never a happy medium when there are shortages of fish. 30-40 years ago when the fishing was prolific in most areas this went on then but no one complained, tides have turned greatly over this time and the pressure on fish stocks have been exhausted by the Pair trawlers etc from UK and EU Country's. Did you know there are 39 Vessels registered at Milford 1 is UK owned?

John Edwards

Found this rule in the north eastern sea fisheries by laws

NO PERSON SHALL USE IN FISHING FOR SEA FISH ANY SEINE NET OR DRAW NET OF ANY KIND KNOWN AS THE DANISH SEINE OR "SNURREVAAD"

Also

Fixed engine (gill or tramell nets) shall be to the seaward of the 10 meter depth contour 26 march to 31st october with the head rope no nearer to the water surface than 4 meters at any state of tide. From 1st november to 25 march the 10 meter contour rule does not apply but the 4 meter part does

All costal areas must have a sea fisheries commitee check your local government offices