And now ..... a 5lb 5oz roach!

philocalist

I'm pretty sure it's a roach but ascertaining the true weight is far from easy. Getting the picture was the easy bit; the problem is there is no proof backing the weight. Tony Patrick-Davies claimed some enormous roach (to 4-8) from Denmark that are pictured in one of his books, and I've been impressed by some of the massive Ebro roach (to 4-7). English biggest is 4-5.

"Claimed", LOL. I have one of his books (well, Davies-Patrick anyway), if I ever need to start a fire it's first off the shelf. There are worse angling books, but I don't own any of those.

Now I'm intrigued!

Now I'm intrigued!

People often react to me that way. That or morbid curiosity, I forget which. Different thread perhaps, worst ever angling books (cough "sounds like Herry Tearn" cough).

As for the roach, it's a big fat monster, but would a carp (or even a perch, and they weigh light) of similar dimensions be that weight?

The original report's been kicking around for a while - I remember looking at it last year (well, you'd not forget THAT, would you!)

If you look at the hand positioning, then compare it to those pictures of the 10lb perch that was really a five, they don't look too different, size wise. Bearing in mind that the bloke's a carper and that the catch was incidental, I'm inclined to believe the stated weight.

"The most beautiful thing we can experience is the mysterious. It is the source of all true art and all science. He to whom this emotion is a stranger, who can no longer pause to wonder and stand rapt in awe, is as good as dead: his eyes are closed."

Bearing in mind the blokes a carper I'm definitely very dubious of the weight being accurate (either to high or low). What is the chances of it being weighed on suitable scales with a suitable sling?

That said it looks a monster whatever it weight.

Rich