Calling All Fly Tyers

Snatcher

Been asked to knock out some marlin "flies" on 6/0 O'shaunessys. They need to be weighted. Can anyone suggest a good source for thick gauge lead wire.

Any ideas for an alternative weighting method for the hook?

Fishing digs on the Mull of Galloway - recommend

HERE

babyforavatar.jpg

Me when I had hair

Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy

Guest franticfisherman2

Why not wind some heavy copper wire around the hook shank - If you used the laquered stuff out of an old motor it would also stay shiny and make a good body. You could also add a good dollop of epoxy over it, that's pretty weighty as you know.

thanks for the input Phil :D

HERE

babyforavatar.jpg

Me when I had hair

Guest franticfisherman2

better still would be the single strand mains cable but you would need to cover it with varnish or epoxy to keep it shiny. Err - remember to switch off the power before you nick it.

You know me Phil - straight as a dogs hind leg ;)

HERE

babyforavatar.jpg

Me when I had hair

I do not know their fishing technique MJB ? Possibly if they are trolling an unweighted hook will tend to come to the surface.

Also have no idea of the strike depth they will be looking to achieve. I find it all very interesting though. Just the thought of a marlin being caught (and released) on one of my creations gives me a buzz :D

HERE

babyforavatar.jpg

Me when I had hair

Hi John, back on line at last, I used to use lead foil from wine bottles but they seem to have stopped using it on my £2 50 bottles of wine. The other method was to melt solder onto the hook, even messier than poxy and a site more dangerous. You can get lead sheet from tieing suppliers, what about tieing them on tubes, these can be bought in different weights. The other thing that might work is a detachable head , get some different size lead bullets and paint and epoxy them. I found something last week that might work if I can find it again I,ll send it. jim

Forget the lead wire use heavyweight dumbell eyes, biggest you can get this weight sthe head and gives it a sink and draw action

Most Marlin flies however, are tied on 12 or 14 inch tubes and fished on on rigs not disimilar to the ones used on a skirted trolling lure. 6/0 is more Dorado, Tuna or Barracuda sized, but you could tie them as a tandem Deceiver pattern that would look neat..

Edited by Tony U

Tony

After a certain age, if you don't wake up aching in every joint, you are probably dead.

I do not know their fishing technique MJB ? Possibly if they are trolling an unweighted hook will tend to come to the surface.

Also have no idea of the strike depth they will be looking to achieve. I find it all very interesting though. Just the thought of a marlin being caught (and released) on one of my creations gives me a buzz :D

Snatcher, tried to PM you yesterday and Sat. re the fly weights but darned machine was playing up.

Flies wont be trolled as IGFA regs require the boat to be out of gear at the time of cast. Having said that the

white marlin (which is the species aimed at) were following teasers to the boat and showing three or four at a time on the surface within casting range fora 15-17 weight rod and heavy fly. Even with the boat out of gear after towing the teasers at 6-8knts it will still drift on a for a short time during the cast hence the need for some weighted and some not as we dont want them skipping on the surface (bird bait). Fishing depth based on the above will be around the just sub-surface to 8-10ft on sink tips or intermediate.

What you doing on the fluff chuckers forum anyway? (lol)

Stan