Calling All Fly Tyers

Snatcher

Stan,

I have caught all the marlin species and the sailfish species on a fly. My advice is as follows.

When the crew on the boat tease the fish up to within casting distance - the best method is using a big popper or banger. Any sinking fly usually goes down with out a strike.

The reason is that when the fish is teased up to the boat it is normally striking the teaser with its bill to stun it, when the teaser is pulled away the fish dashes after it and gets itself even more worked up. If you throw a heavy fly at it that sinks it will ignore it and keep searching for the surface lure.

My suggestion is to tie up these kind of flies as they out perform anything else out there 100%

post-7026-1130784225_thumb.jpg

Regards

Mike

Mike thanks for that info, I`ll pass it on to snatcher or tell him to check this forum again. Makes sense to me.

I`ve had sails on a fly, not large 40lb or so, permit and `cuda but never a marlin. The main reason for the weighted flies was for the short time we are still motoring although out of gear, and then change to the lighter flies but it will be a first for me (if I`m lucky) so any advice is appreciated. When I say change, there would be more than one rod set up and rigged. The other notion was not to let the weighted flies sink but strip back quickly. The poppers and bangers sound good to me. Thanks again

Stan.

quickly

I do not know their fishing technique MJB ? Possibly if they are trolling an unweighted hook will tend to come to the surface.

Also have no idea of the strike depth they will be looking to achieve. I find it all very interesting though. Just the thought of a marlin being caught (and released) on one of my creations gives me a buzz :D

Snatcher

You know that fly on the left of your signature?

Well look at this my favourite Mackerel Fly, how come they are so similar even down to the goggly eyes? I thought they were one of my originals and considering we have never met its a bit uncanny; perhaps they come from the great Geordie collective consciousness.

Edited by Tony U

Tony

After a certain age, if you don't wake up aching in every joint, you are probably dead.

Solved the weight problem,2mm soldering wire. Its an ideal weight and so pliable. Have just wound some by hand onto a 6/0 hook and it took seconds. Very neat as well :)

From the advice that has come in looks like I will have to tie a mixture of weighted and unweighted flies and include some poppers as well. Ideas for popper heads to fit 6/0 O'shaunessey hooks anyone ? :D

Fishing digs on the Mull of Galloway - recommend

HERE

babyforavatar.jpg

Me when I had hair

Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy

Solved the weight problem,2mm soldering wire. Its an ideal weight and so pliable. Have just wound some by hand onto a 6/0 hook and it took seconds. Very neat as well :)

From the advice that has come in looks like I will have to tie a mixture of weighted and unweighted flies and include some poppers as well. Ideas for popper heads to fit 6/0 O'shaunessey hooks anyone ? :D

May sound daft snatcher but it works. The heads off felt tip pens. Bit of imagination, cataloy fill to weight it with brass or copper tube down the centre, once hard trim to shape with hacksay. Probably buy much prettier but in the sea, stripping back they aint going to know the difference.

Stan.

Bet I have trouble sleeping tonight now Stan. Have taken fly tying problems to bed with me before ;)

Went to a haberdashery outlet this afternoon and picked up some lush material for the white lures :D

The resin you suggested for the popper head Stan I take it the stuff will be buoyant?Just epoxy resined eyes onto two of the hooks so will tie the flies tomorrow after work and post them up on the original thread on the sea angling forum.

Yes Tony U the flies are very similar. Geordie geniuses :lol::lol:

HERE

babyforavatar.jpg

Me when I had hair

We've been getting plenty of white marlin around the boat this season, and thought that we should have a go at catching them on fly.

As Stan mentioned, the IGFA rules state that the boat must be out of gear so we are going to tease the fish right to the back of the boat. When the fish is close enough we take the boat out of gear, and then the tricky bit, we whip the teaser out of the water as the angler drops the fly on his nose, hopefully he will be so cross that the teaser has gone he'll strike at anything else that moves.

6/0s sound pretty small for marlin, but the whites have quite a small mouth, its been described as trying to hook a pair of chopsticks doing 40 knots. Given our experience this year I would have to agree.

Thanks for the info on poppers, I've only seen it done on tv, and they never really show the lures. Hopefully it will only be in the water a few seconds before it gets hit.

Snatcher,

Yes Tony U the flies are very similar. [[[[[Geordie geniuses]]]]]],

That not some sort of contradiction in terms?????????? (lol)

Stan

Bet I have trouble sleeping tonight now Stan. Have taken fly tying problems to bed with me before ;)

Went to a haberdashery outlet this afternoon and picked up some lush material for the white lures :D

The resin you suggested for the popper head Stan I take it the stuff will be buoyant?Just epoxy resined eyes onto two of the hooks so will tie the flies tomorrow after work and post them up on the original thread on the sea angling forum.

Yes Tony U the flies are very similar. Geordie geniuses :lol::lol:

Snatcher,

nope, not bouyant, the opposite. Fill the end caps with cataloy (car filler paste) and that`s your weight problem solved. Also makes them run head down with tails flickering (or whatever the term is). Don`t forget the brass, copper or nylon tube down the centre first to take the line. Geordies, really!!!!

Stan

Thanks CaptainsOrgan,some good info there. It is a constant learning curve and most enjoyable.

Loads of new ideas to try out now :o

HERE

babyforavatar.jpg

Me when I had hair