Someone Is Listening

M.P

Do you get any better bass using the larger mesh.

BASS MEMBER

IGFA Member.

Supporting ethical angling practices and wise use and conservation of fishery resources!

SACN Member.

NFSA Member.

Getting confused by politics!

MY LIST IS LONGER THAN YOURS!

• Replies 271
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Guest binatone
Do you get any better bass using the larger mesh.

Sam. We don’t get many bass at all, the few that I have seen in the trawl in the past year or so have been in the 3 to 5 lb range, but we hardly get any, so I cannot say that the mesh size makes any difference to us.

I think that wurzel uses trammel nets that he let’s drift with the tide, but I think that he manly fishes four soul.

Am knot sure on that one as have knot talked to him. But what ever he does he seams more than happy at what he does.

Sorry I didnt realise that you skippered a trawler.

Do you think trawling is ok? I thought it ruins the sea bed.

I supose if trawling over just sand it could be ok.

Ive only been trawling twice, although a good number of sole were caught there was a lot of rubbish and discards like dead baby thornbacks.

I prefere the use of mono drift netts for bass, prefereably used offshore.

BASS MEMBER

IGFA Member.

Supporting ethical angling practices and wise use and conservation of fishery resources!

SACN Member.

NFSA Member.

Getting confused by politics!

MY LIST IS LONGER THAN YOURS!

Do you think trawling is ok? I thought it ruins the sea bed.

I supose if trawling over just sand it could be ok.

Ive only been trawling twice, although a good number of sole were caught there was a lot of rubbish and discards like dead baby thornbacks.

I prefere the use of mono drift netts for bass, prefereably used offshore.

Hi Sam,

I think your right in that it depends on the area and the context. If its some highly dynamic area, populated by species adapted to constant disturbance then it does not seem like a big deal to me.

If its an area thats been trawled for a long time, then again I find it hard to get to worried about it; I'd assume the species makeup will reflect the changes from trawling. In some cases it might be we could lose out in that some trawled areas are more productive than they were pre trawling.

On the other hand, having scallop dredgers going through seagrass, horse mussel or maerl beds seems incredibly destructive. Same for the trawlers "opening up" new ground to the west and north of the continental shelf, and the godawful things being done to ancient seamounts :(

Whats the betting the eco extremists decide to pick the most important commercial (and therefore trawled for over a hundred years) grounds first for Marine Protected area status?

Help predict climate change!

http://climateprediction.net

If you dont think it would come to this then let me remind you, no you know the figures that have impressed these politicians they know where and who offers the best finacial future and i am afraid the writing is on the wall for the commercials, not today or tommorrow but whithin 5 years sea anglers will be calling all the shots and if commercials want any future they will have to play the fiddle to the sea anglers tune.

P**s off

I fish to live and live to fish.

Hmmm, in another part of the world they seem to be have finished the wall writing exercise unsure.gif

Thats one take on it. Another would be the Aussies have looked around, saw what works and gone for it. We have slashed our commercial fleet by a similar amount but took 20 years to do it. The first round of decommissioning was a total joke where taxpayers cash helped modernise the fishing fleet. The second round was better.

Anyone know how this Aussie bidding scheme works?

Help predict climate change!

http://climateprediction.net

wurzel,

So you think that a good stock of cod in the Barents Sea means that we have nothing to worry about then.

That it proves there is no link between trawling of the clyde and its loss of cod stock.

That is proves there is no link between spurdog longlining and the rapid drop in their stock.

That it proves the lack of rays in Luce Bay has nothing to do with commercial activity.

Does it also prove that scallop dredging is fine.....

You always seem to duck the issue by showing that there are some fish somewhere. I have never said there are no fish anywhere and neither has any scientist.

What is the stock level in the Barents? What was the stock level before the current activity? What are the current landings and what was the historical pattern ?

There are cod there now, but for how long? Norway is obviously concerned about it judging by recent events with a russian trawler.

Why has the Icelandic stock suffered? I don't know, and if the scientsist don't know either it doesn't mean they are idiots who know nothing. Just that they don't know everything.

You could assume that the Icelandic cod have moved over to the Barents and that once the stock there declines, as it will, that they'll pop up somewhere else, and that we can carry on as usual.

But that is just jumping to the conclusion that you want to hear. If the stock level has been pretty consistent in the Barents then we need to look elsewhere for the decline in Icelandic cod, and figure out what went wrong with the science and management policies there.

Edited by spanner

Iceland have been manageing thier cod stocks to the advice of thier scientists for years, prased for it . tight quotas very big mesh sizes every thing the scientist suggested . now suddenly they are experieancing a drop in stocks around thier coast.

Mean while in the Barents Sea north of Norway, where Russian ,Polish and a host of other nations are fishing totaly unmanaged as they have always done, no quotas or mesh regulations, nothing but whole sale slaughter by huge hoover ships as you would put it.

Now can somebody explain why the cod are decreaseing at Iceland but according to reports I hear and read INCREASEING in the Barents sea ?

I don't know anything about the Barents Sea. How does it compare in terms of depth, bottom and size to the Southern North Sea? Is it as easy to fish? Is it too deep in places? Is the bottom too snaggy to trawl in places? What I've been talking about is local fish populations. The North Sea may be suffereing, but the Southern North Sea is in dire straights with regard to Cod. I don't think it's global warming, for reasons outlined in my last post. I also don't think that you can compare the Cod stocks throughout the world when talking of local fish population. Even if you could, who says the stocks are increasing in the Barents Sea? A few years back when scientists first became concerned over North Sea Cod stocks, they were told by commercial fishermen that there were more Cod than ever. The scientists said it seemed that way because the remaining Cod were shoaling more tightly. Exactyly the same thing happend on the Grand Banks before that fishery collapsed. The same things were said. Now the Cod stocks appear to be increasing in the Barent Sea? Maybe the opposite is happeneing.

DRUNK DRIVERS WRECK LIVES.

Don't drink and drive.