92 replies to this topic

#31 Phone

Phone

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,040 posts

Posted 05 July 2014 - 02:35 PM

Norm,

Fun thread I've enjoyed very much, keep us updated.

Phone

#32 Norm B

Norm B

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,246 posts
  • Interests:Sea Angling, Conservation and shooting.

Posted 21 July 2014 - 10:43 AM

Norm,

Fun thread I've enjoyed very much, keep us updated.

Phone

:clap3:  Will be removing newts from aquarium into pond later this week, they should be big enough to give them a fighting chance by now. :clap3:

#33 Norm B

Norm B

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,246 posts

Posted 14 September 2014 - 10:08 AM

:clap3:  Will be removing newts from aquarium into pond later this week, they should be big enough to give them a fighting chance by now. :clap3:

:clap3: Had a bit of a clear out of the duck weed yesterday and found some more small newts in the net. This year seems to have been an extended spawning season for newts as I've put two lots of young back into the pond as small adults. These I'll grow on until they are ready to be released, never known a year like it. Bodes well for the future.  :clap3:

#34 Phone

Phone

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,040 posts

Posted 14 September 2014 - 04:17 PM

Norm B,

do you supplement natural diet with chopped lobs? 

Phone

#35 Norm B

Norm B

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,246 posts

Posted 15 September 2014 - 08:52 AM

Norm B,

do you supplement natural diet with chopped lobs? 

Phone

:clap3: Daphna to start, then blood worms and finally small red worms from the compost bin. Then into the pond where hopefully they'll emerge when it rains, preferably at night. Just need some toad spawn next year to get some toads as they survive predators better.  :clap3:

#36 Norm B

Norm B

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,246 posts

Posted 20 March 2015 - 04:58 PM

:clap3: Daphna to start, then blood worms and finally small red worms from the compost bin. Then into the pond where hopefully they'll emerge when it rains, preferably at night. Just need some toad spawn next year to get some toads as they survive predators better.  :clap3:

:( This year has got off to a really poor start. Last year at this time I had 20 plus frogs spawning but this year I've got 3 frogs, i pair and a single. It's not been a hard winter so I can only put it down to either a natural kill, disease or the like, or too many cats in the area. If it doesn't improve soon I'll have to concentrate on toads for next year as cats don't like them too much, due to the nasty secretion from their skin, doesn't taste nice.   :(

#37 Norm B

Norm B

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,246 posts

Posted 21 March 2015 - 11:25 AM

:( This year has got off to a really poor start. Last year at this time I had 20 plus frogs spawning but this year I've got 3 frogs, i pair and a single. It's not been a hard winter so I can only put it down to either a natural kill, disease or the like, or too many cats in the area. If it doesn't improve soon I'll have to concentrate on toads for next year as cats don't like them too much, due to the nasty secretion from their skin, doesn't taste nice.   :(

:clap3: Well, what a difference a day makes. Yesterday I was worried about the lack of frogs in my pond, this morning as I opened the back door I could hear raucous croaking and about a dozen frogs were splashing about and 4 blobs of spawn were on the reeds. Still not as many as last year but considering we've not had any rain for a while to encourage the travelers to travel I'm optimistic for the year ahead, just got to hope the lone female GCN has survived and maybe some of the young have matured and returned to breed. :clap3:  

#38 Norm B

Norm B

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,246 posts

Posted 28 March 2015 - 12:09 PM

:clap3: Well, what a difference a day makes. Yesterday I was worried about the lack of frogs in my pond, this morning as I opened the back door I could hear raucous croaking and about a dozen frogs were splashing about and 4 blobs of spawn were on the reeds. Still not as many as last year but considering we've not had any rain for a while to encourage the travelers to travel I'm optimistic for the year ahead, just got to hope the lone female GCN has survived and maybe some of the young have matured and returned to breed. :clap3:  

:bye2: Most of the frogs have now left the pond with the rainfall but 1 GCN male has appeared, hopefully at least 1 female will appear, hopefully more.  :bye2:

#39 Norm B

Norm B

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,246 posts

Posted 02 April 2015 - 09:09 AM

:bye2: Most of the frogs have now left the pond with the rainfall but 1 GCN male has appeared, hopefully at least 1 female will appear, hopefully more.  :bye2:

:schmoll: Now got 2 male GCN's so perhaps the female is waiting for them before she puts in an appearance.  :schmoll:

#40 Norm B

Norm B

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,246 posts

Posted 04 April 2015 - 08:31 AM

:schmoll: Now got 2 male GCN's so perhaps the female is waiting for them before she puts in an appearance.  :schmoll:

:( Went out to the pond last night, light rain and still, perfect for spotting. Now got 3 male GCN's but still no females. A couple of frogs still around, loads of smooth and palmate newts and saw a weather loach, grown massive, I thought the heron had got them, only saw one though. :(