Pond life in January

Norm B

:uhuh: Looks like I'm not going to get any females this year, hopefully some of those that have been born in the pond over the years will have survived

and return to breed, if not I'll return the males to the wild as they eat the young of other newts. I can put up with that if it maintains a breeding colony of GCN's but not otherwise. :cry:

:uhuh: Looks like I'm not going to get any females this year, hopefully some of those that have been born in the pond over the years will have survived

and return to breed, if not I'll return the males to the wild as they eat the young of other newts. I can put up with that if it maintains a breeding colony of GCN's but not otherwise. :cry:

:clap3: Good news, I've just been out to the pond and there's a female GCN there. She's smaller than the one that's been there for the last couple of years so it's probably her first breeding year. No sign of the big one that's been breeding for the last couple of years, perhaps she's passed on now. Hopefully a few more will turn up over the next few days. :clap3:

:clap3: Good news, I've just been out to the pond and there's a female GCN there. She's smaller than the one that's been there for the last couple of years so it's probably her first breeding year. No sign of the big one that's been breeding for the last couple of years, perhaps she's passed on now. Hopefully a few more will turn up over the next few days. :clap3:

:help: Not seen the female for 3 nights now, to make it worse a heron flew over the pond this morning, having a look? Has she been eaten or did she just get fed up with being harassed by 3 males??? :cry:

:help: Not seen the female for 3 nights now, to make it worse a heron flew over the pond this morning, having a look? Has she been eaten or did she just get fed up with being harassed by 3 males??? :cry:

:clap3: Saw a female GCN last night, can't be sure if it's the missing one as it looks a bit bigger/fatter, could have just gone for a feed in the rain or scoffed the tadpoles. Whichever, I'm glad to see her but strangely the male GCNs don't seem interested in her, perhaps she's too young or something, usually all the males are sniffing round. I don't really need a gay female GCN. :yucky:

:clap3: Saw a female GCN last night, can't be sure if it's the missing one as it looks a bit bigger/fatter, could have just gone for a feed in the rain or scoffed the tadpoles. Whichever, I'm glad to see her but strangely the male GCNs don't seem interested in her, perhaps she's too young or something, usually all the males are sniffing round. I don't really need a gay female GCN. :yucky:

:clap3: Just having a look in the pond in the bright sunshine and I saw a small GCN. It looked about 3 months old but black, not spotted and it still had gills, must be a late developer from last year, I've had it with tadpoles when there has been a large spawning, they have gone on to develop normally, I hope this one does. :clap3:

• 3 weeks later...

:clap3: Reference the" small female" GCN, saw a small male GCN last night, about the same size as the "small female" that the males weren't interested in, could it be the "female?" seen earlier but was in fact a small male that has now got it's full breeding regalia on display? Interesting thought. :clap3:

:clap3: Reference the" small female" GCN, saw a small male GCN last night, about the same size as the "small female" that the males weren't interested in, could it be the "female?" seen earlier but was in fact a small male that has now got it's full breeding regalia on display? Interesting thought. :clap3:

:clap3: Great news! I've just seen a female GCN laying her eggs in the pond. It's not the big old one that's been around for a few years, or the small one seen earlier. She's adult size so I assume the recent heavy rain has encouraged her to come to the pond, the recent dry, warm weather may have made travel difficult. She must have been born in the pond as there are no GCN holding ponds nearby so hopefully there may be a revival, although another female or two to widen the gene pool would be handy. :clap3:

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

:clap3: Great news! I've just seen a female GCN laying her eggs in the pond. It's not the big old one that's been around for a few years, or the small one seen earlier. She's adult size so I assume the recent heavy rain has encouraged her to come to the pond, the recent dry, warm weather may have made travel difficult. She must have been born in the pond as there are no GCN holding ponds nearby so hopefully there may be a revival, although another female or two to widen the gene pool would be handy. :clap3:

:clap3: Update on spawn. The GCN spawn is progressing towards becoming tadpoles, the eggs now resemble commas on the folded leaves so I've transferred some of them to the aquarium where they can hatch in safety without worrying about becoming food for the adult newts. They will be fed and pampered until they are big enough to be transferred back to the pond without being eaten by their parents, what happens after that is in the hands of the gods. :clap3: