Government gives go ahead for New Cormorant and Goosander Management Plan

Matthew Simmons

From what I have seen of fishing most of the British Isles over the last 30 odd years, cormorants have been on a steady increase all over it. See plenty on the Irish loughs, Scottish lochs and waters around here.

Roach may not be doing well on some waters south of Watford, but in other parts of the British Isles in the same period of time that cormorants have been doing well the roach have also been doing well. I would be very surprised if there aren't more roach in the British Isles today than there ever has been.

Personally I can't see much sport in shooting cormorants and doubt if many people that have a gun could be bothered with all the agro and therefore very few more than probably already do will get shot anyway.

Are they any good for float making? :)

I would think the wing quills would be perfect for bodied trotters!