Hobie Adventure.......looks Good.

Yakity - Yak - u.k.

Hiya Geffez,

Yep your thinking is good.

Remember though that the Paddle is as important as the Kayak, choosing the wrong type of paddle could make hard work, no matter what the length of Kayak.

Get yourself measured for the Paddle, and by the sounds of things , you may need a touring type Paddle.

The lighter the better, adjustable feather is an advantage somtimes.

Have a look at the " Originz Northwest Passage Touring Paddle, with Quicklock.

You can adjust length and feather of paddle, I use one and love it.

Breaks down into two pieces for easy store.

Another pic :)

OOOOps.....forgot to say....Prowler 15 great Yak. :)

post-4885-1132689047_thumb.jpg

post-4885-1132689381_thumb.jpg

Edited by Yakity - Yak - u.k.

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

aarrr mate your top draw! nice one bruv!

its little big things like that i would of very easily over looked.

• 3 months later...

Thought I'd drag this thread up and ask has anyone here got one or seen one? The Outback doesn't appeal to me - taking the price out of it, on paper the Adventure looks quite good and have read comments that it paddles as well as a P15 or Tarpon 160i (similar length/width) & with the mirage drive its more efficient for distance work. It sounds like it can sail quite well too.

http://www.kayakfishingstuff.com/ri_fishin...shing_Kayaks=22

Kaskazi Dorado - Yellow

Hi,

I called the UK dealer last week. He has one, although I'm not sure I'd have anywhere to store it. Nor could I afford it either, but I did think about trading up.

I'll let you know how I get on.

I know the US forums have been raving about them since they came on the market. I'll let you have a go in my Outback if we see each other at the Devon/Dorset/Hants meet.

You never know, it might convert you to pedal power!! :bicycle:

Dave

Kayak - Hobie Mirage Outback

Location - Paignton

Thanks Dave. :)

I can see a big project comming up if you got one of those Speciman :lol:

I can just see your 2 batteries and motor and some cogs being rigged up .By the time you have finished it would look like a modern day paddle steamer,but Battry powered :bigemo_harabe_net-163:

zzippy2.gif

Hey Yakity - I took a close look at the pictures you put up of your paddle and the colar says 225 - 233. That is one heck of a long paddle bruv - hats off to you, you must be built like Arnie to be able to wield that thing! You sure you dont want to come Porgie bashing - I'll use my rod, you can lift them aboard - one handed by the sound of things!

Seriously now chaps, paddle length can really affect your health. It is great for gaining power - but the lever also has an opposite reaction, on you. It is putting the same strain as you exert on it upon your joints. There are many ex paddlers out there who have suffered from shoulder, wrist injuries through their paddle - not to mention dislocated shoulders caused by the paddle getting under the kayak and exerting huge leverage in the surf.

I am 6'0 exactly and use a 218 - and am looking to cut it down still further. Paddle length is important and even 1cm (doesn't sound like much) can be a noticeable difference when you start to use it. Offset angle, or feather angle if you prefer, is also pretty important. Most people will be suited to a 65 degree - 68 degree offset - keep away from anything more or you will damage your wrist unless you are an experienced paddler. 90 degrees is torture!

With that collar can you cut your paddle down a bit Bill? I think you might find life a little less tiring - and your elbow would appreciate it too. So your missus would also prefer not to have you hanging around the house recuperating again - unless she has got more decorating for you. In which case, watch the angle setting!

Just something I noticed while perusing your pictures. By the way - nobody has been able to explain, in words that I can understand (pictures would be better!) on how you do that trick to get pictures up. Would love to know.

Keep on paddling.

Simon Everett

Staffordshire.

Fishing kayaks:

White& Orange Dorado

Olive Scupper Pro

Yellow Prowler Elite

Touring kayaks

Red White Skua

White & Orange Duo

Team Ocean Kayaks U.K.

Kayaks: Necky vector,Flame SPTW

previous Kayaks:Yellow Ocean Kayaks Caper,Flame Prowler 13,Sunrise Ocean Kayaks Prowler 15 Trident, Perception Dancer XT

assisted rescues---5

longest paddle:65 miles

top speed under sail 11.1mph

Yakity

AT 5'8" I use a 216 on the SP. It also depends on the beam of the Yak.

Just for general info for all, one of the most common mistakes that is easily rectified is yakers paddle too wide. Instead of keeping the stroke as close to the side of the yak as practical (almost slalom style) they stroke wider than required. This is imparts unecessary turn and wastes lots of energy and loses speed. A long paddle encourages this.

The best tip I was given was use of the opposing arm. Most people, me included, use the near arm to impart power into the stroke, pulling backwards. However, significant improvement in speed or efficiency can be achieved by pushing the opposing arm forward imparting a pivoting motion on the paddle. This initialy takes you by suprise and you can feel the strokes per minute count begining to run away from you. Once mastered and combined with a more verticle stroke style the miles will just disapear. Well not quite but you will notice the difference. It was the difference between coming second and winning downriver races in my distant past.

Those were the days. :yawn::D

OOPs gone off topic. Of course the Hobie range make paddling a thing of the past. This means that paddling technique is left to old fuddy duddies like me. (not that old really). Seriously I think the Hobies provide the perfect solution for those that only use the Yak as a fishing platform. If it gets more people out on the water then it can only be a good thing.

Fished since 2003, the rest of my life I just wasted.

Southampton, Scupper Pro TW Angler: Yarak2.

Member of the OK fishing Team ( I have had free bits) :-)

Hi Simon.

Nothing like Arnie Im afraid. :)

You are wrong about paddle length giving you more power when in use with a Kayak, or Canoe.

Your thinking would apply to rowing a boat though.

Because a Canoe Kayak has no fixed falcrom for the paddle to work against, its down to the technique of the paddler to proppel the Kayak forward, using the moving falcroms / levers achieved by the body.

The shorter Paddle lengths are used by competition paddlers, where the paddle stroke will be tight to the side of the Kayak / Canoe in a high paddling position.

The paddle stroke moving parallel to and as near to the centre line of the kayak as possible.

this produces the high paddling style. ( shorter lengths )

A paddler in the open sea has more problems to think about, windage especialy, and paddling in less than flat calm waters for most of the time.

This is where the longer paddle comes into its own, and a lower paddling style can be achieved.

A low paddling position in windy conditions is far less energy consuming, and more controlable than the high style achieved with the shorter lengths of paddle.

Paddling isnt about brute strength, but rather using the body efficiently to achieve the most propulsion with comfort and energy conservation, certainly at sea where a touring style of paddling is best used.

The paddlers you have mentioned with the injuries, proberbly had poor technique, or wrong paddle sizing.

The feather of the paddle serves to cut down effort when paddling into a head wind.

It can also be used to compensate for old injuries or weak wrist.

Setting of the feather may vary greatly between different people, and conditions.

So know it boils down to the individual, and the paddling technique they want to opt for.

The sizes /ranges, of the paddles vary to best suit the application, i.e:204 cm for slalom to 230 for sea kayaking /canoeing, with somthing in between for sprint and racing.

Si have a look at the link Ive posted, you may get a better idea by reading the info there.

They will proberbly explain it better than me too.

http://www.sit-on-topkayaking.com/Articles...tion/Index.html

Enjoy the read, hope it helps.

Bill.