Winter Carp Baits?

david t

Hello,

apart from boilies, can anyone recommend some good cold water baits? Is robin red bait additive a useful inclusion to add to stick mixes etc, im talking about baits for lightly fished for canal carp.

the only reason i say apart from boilies is that i want to explore all other natural/particle baits first, i know boilies catch fish, but i dont want to become boilie blinkered.

Thanks, dave.

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Maggots dead or alive are a good winter bait for carp as the small silver fish are not as active, also never forget Lobworms good for carp all year particularly if the water is coloured up.

Edited by Tony U

Tony

After a certain age, if you don't wake up aching in every joint, you are probably dead.

Thanks,

I do have great faith in tigers (nuts), and have caught my two best carp on them. I use growler juice with tigers to give them a good scent, is there anything suitable for maize to perk it up and give it abit of scent,

do spice flavours work with maize? I like maggots, i know they are visual and move, but do you know of anything to add to there attraction?

does anyone rate the real hot (unedible) peperami firestick for carp? i reckon that might work.

dave.

Thanks,

I like maggots, i know they are visual and move, but do you know of anything to add to there attraction?

dave.

Try essential oils; geranium is good for Roach so why not Carp or try Ginger, Cinnamon or Cardamom if you want to spice things up.

Edited by Tony U

Tony

After a certain age, if you don't wake up aching in every joint, you are probably dead.

Dave, what kind of water are you fishing. e.g. commercial, gravel pit etc? Are there any predators in the water (strange question you might think but I'll explain later)?

Wingham Specimen Coarse & Carp Syndicates www.winghamfisheries.co.uk Beautiful, peaceful, little fished gravel pit syndicates in Kent with very big fish. 2017 Forum Fish-In Sat May 6 to Mon May 8. Articles http://www.anglersnet.co.uk/steveburke.htm Index of all my articles on Angler's Net

Steve - You wouldn't be hinting at whitebait would you? ;)

Mattersons smoked garlic sausage could be worth a try. Roughly cut up a few cubes to use as hair-rigged hookbaits and finely chop/blend the rest to use in your stick mix. ;)

As for pepping up maggots, i've found Mainlines pineapple flavour a good winter edge.

Eat right, stay fit, die anyway.

Thanks,

as for what type of water im fishing, its a canal, i have fished it mainly in may-june time, it does see some angling pressure on the carp in summer, but not really what you would call pressure, there are predators, pike but only upto 4lbs and perch. the carp tend to average 10lbs, but i have had them upto 20lbs, and im sure i havent caught the biggest. the best bait ive found so far is tiger nuts, followed by halibut pellets. but as im planning on doing abit of winter fishing i thought those two might not be perfect, particularly oily halibuts. its a lovely carp water and im usually alone up there except for the odd floating crust angler in the summer as i said.

Why do you ask about predators? i suppose carp are carnivores, look at fishmeal boiles.

thanks, dave.

The reason I mentioned predators is, as Ant remarked, I was going to recommend whitebait. I've not fished a canal with it, but it's been deadly on stillwaters - and I don't fish for carp in winter! Rather I've used it a lot for stillwater chub, and (unsuccessfully) for perch.

In fact, carp have been such a flaming nuisance on whitebait that on one water I daren't use it!

One other tip I'll pass on is that I've also caught a lot of carp in winter when perching when I'm fishing midwater. I've hardly had any though on the bottom in comparison. Baits have been worm and freshwater deadbaits.

For more on whitebait do a search and also see one of my articles at http://anglers-net.co.uk/authors/steve02.htm

Wingham Specimen Coarse & Carp Syndicates www.winghamfisheries.co.uk Beautiful, peaceful, little fished gravel pit syndicates in Kent with very big fish. 2017 Forum Fish-In Sat May 6 to Mon May 8. Articles http://www.anglersnet.co.uk/steveburke.htm Index of all my articles on Angler's Net