Considering Taking Up Fly Fishing

Guest Josh Iddon

• Replies 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

How long is a piece of string and how much do you want to spend.

Seriously, buy the best you can afford, if you do get on with fluff chucking and have only bought cheap tackle it won`t be long before you have to fork out again on something more suitable.

Dave

ANMC Founder Member. Always learning

Buying cheap tackle you could do it for less than £100. The only problem is if you like it you would want to replace your cheap tackle so thats £100 wasted, as it wouldn't have any resale value. It may also not be very pleasant to use and could put you off before you start.

What part of the country do you live in? In an ideal world it would be a good idea to meet up with someone already doing it so you can try it before you spend any money. A lot of commercial fisheries rent out everything you need.

Once you decide you like it (and you will, the first time you get your string pulled by a decent rainbow :P ) get the best tackle you can afford. IMO good second hand is better value than cheap new.

Dave

Let's agree to respect each others views, no matter how wrong yours may be.

Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by stupidity

http://www.safetypublishing.co.uk/
http://www.safetypublishing.ie/

Get decent gear mate,

I bought cheap stuff and hated it. Go for a good rod and a quailty line something like a greys rod and a cortland line. Its better to spend £200 and enjoy your gear than waste £100 and be put off fly fishing whatever you decide PLEASE get a decent line a good budget line is the shakesphere worchester lines about £20 better again is the Snowbee at about £32 but best of all is the cortland at around £40.

I added 15 feet to my cast just by changing to Cortland!

Spend your money on some casting lessons. You don't need expensive gear to fish and £150 will get you some very good tackle nowadays.

Agree on above, spending a fortune on gear will not make you a good caster. But a few lessons will help, and where better to get advice as well.

Ask at the fishery you plan to visit about a 'starter course', they will loan you the gear, teach you how to cast and you get 1/2 a days fishing to try it out.

Most decent lakes will arrange it for you.

If not find an experienced fluff chucker and they will probably have spare gear to lend you untill you take the plunge.

Jealousy: totally irrational anger directed at people who happen to be richer, prettier, thinner, cleverer and more successful than you are.

Wot is it you enjoy about it because on tv it never really looks like you catch much and there never very big? im interested in trout but i would also love to catch course fish on the fly. I fish for rudd alot in summer and would love to catch one on a dry fly.

Wot is it you enjoy about it because on tv it never really looks like you catch much and there never very big? im interested in trout but i would also love to catch course fish on the fly. I fish for rudd alot in summer and would love to catch one on a dry fly.

The last time I went I caught 15 trout, the largest approaching 10lb.

Pound for pound trout fight harder/faster than any coarse fish you are likely to catch

(Places tin hat firmly on head and retires to bunker :D )

Let's agree to respect each others views, no matter how wrong yours may be.

Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by stupidity

http://www.safetypublishing.co.uk/
http://www.safetypublishing.ie/