Net Closed On Whitby Trawlermeb

Leon Roskilly

"Almost an entire fishing port's trawler fleet has been fined over £122,800 for breaching government fishing regulations putting and stocks at risk. "

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/uk_news/england...ire/4489914.stm

TL - leon

RNLI Shoreline Member

Member of the Angling Trust

• Replies 108
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I wonder if any of the regulars on this forum were in sunny Hull today.... :rolleyes:

John S

Quanti Canicula Ille In Fenestra

Species caught in 2017 Common Ash, Hawthorn, Hazel, Scots Pine, White Willow.

Species caught in 2016: Alder, Blackthorn, Common Ash, Crab Apple, Left Earlobe, Pedunculate Oak, Rock Whitebeam, Scots Pine, Smooth-leaved Elm, Swan, Wayfaring tree.

Species caught in 2015: Ash, Bird Cherry, Black-Headed Gull, Common Hazel, Common Whitebeam, Elder, Field Maple, Gorse, Puma, Sessile Oak, White Willow.

Species caught in 2014: Big Angry Man's Ear, Blackthorn, Common Ash, Common Whitebeam, Downy Birch, European Beech, European Holly, Hawthorn, Hazel, Scots Pine, Wych Elm.
Species caught in 2013: Beech, Elder, Hawthorn, Oak, Right Earlobe, Scots Pine.

Species caught in 2012: Ash, Aspen, Beech, Big Nasty Stinging Nettle, Birch, Copper Beech, Grey Willow, Holly, Hazel, Oak, Wasp Nest (that was a really bad day), White Poplar.
Species caught in 2011: Blackthorn, Crab Apple, Elder, Fir, Hawthorn, Horse Chestnut, Oak, Passing Dog, Rowan, Sycamore, Willow.
Species caught in 2010: Ash, Beech, Birch, Elder, Elm, Gorse, Mullberry, Oak, Poplar, Rowan, Sloe, Willow, Yew.

Just so this EU cynic is clear on events .. Would it be the case that all these high profile, and resource intensive raids occuring across the northern part of the EU ( major raids is Eire, plus the local ones that have been highlighted on this forum) are related?

Im glad to see effective enforcement at last, but given its taken decades to happen, and is now happening just after the UK fleet has been slashed in half, I have to wonder what the purpose is?

A couple of thoughts/questions:

1.) Why now?

2.) This enforcement will have cost serious money; is this to be an ongoing thing or just "scapegoating" as the commercials seem to see it?

If this is the new regime, then im sure all will adjust to it. If otoh its a brief period where the goverment throws money at a problem to avoid an EU fine, then its of no worth IMHO.

Anyone got any idea?

Chris.

Help predict climate change!

http://climateprediction.net

Guest Feels like Winter to me

Mmmm.

Just for information purposes I read some publically available information from DEFRA on this case. The "black market fish landed was valued at £475,000" was said to have been caught in only an 11 week period. So if as some suggest things like this have been going on for many years what could be the true scale of things????

Where is the deterrent ???

Cant Help thinking that many of the names, but not all, on that list are actually scapegoats.

JUst one last final ironic point. Only last week members of the Whitby Fleet have been blaiming Scottish Fishermen for the state of English east coast fishery. Very surreal.

Edited by Feels like Winter to me

Costs to be announced later today. Fifty pence each no doubt.

Ken are your views on Black fish unchanged?

The lads in question are appealing over the fines ,

It goes back to court of appeal,had the bbc looknorth news team in my pub today and they interviewed one of the lads over the court case ,you can see this interview this evening on bbc looknorth starting at 6 30pm.

The lad in question gave a very good account of the position the fleet is in and believe me its not rosy.

http://sea-otter2.co.uk/

Probably Whitby's most consistent charterboat

Untitled-1.jpg

Must be convinced they can get a reduction as an appeal wont come free of charge. Anyone know how appeals work??? Could they end up with a larger fine.