Net Closed On Whitby Trawlermeb

Leon Roskilly

Guest binatone

By the way big cod, that’s a very positive reply, or have you, got to run to the bar to ask somebody a few questions before you can reply. You spending part of a winter longlineing an all.

• Replies 108
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hello Jaffa

The lobster larvae have a planktonic phase of about a month. Where would that out your local ones as coming from ? (assuming for arguments sake that there was no significant movement of adults? ).

I think maybe there are quite a lot of lobsters that are just too big to get in a pot on the grounds, the same on the wrecks and there are hundreds of wrecks along this coast, the U boats were very busy in this area.

How did they over fish the lobsters your end in the sixtys, it's hard to imagine ground could be fished any harder than the limited amount of ground in this area .

I know I keep banging on about it but I think the lobsters are doing well for the same reason the bass are, with the mild winters of late they have had some very good and consistant recruitment years.

Hello Steve

The balance would be upset if another boat turned up.

The only balance to be upset would be sombodys bank balance, it's the same as any other fishing, I was going to say inshore fishing but I'm not so sure the same thing does not works on a bigger scale off shore.

there are only so many catcherble fish on a patch of ground , in most cases a good living for one man but only half a living for two. This is how the lobster and other fisherys more or less police them selves. As Jaffa says it's hard to imagine any more gear on the ground.

As you say it has been self policed, but not for long , I fear the need to manage brigade are on the lobster case and it won't be long before we start hearing some daft lobster conservation plan.

Thinking of going lobster fish in your boat were you?

I fish to live and live to fish.

The lobster larvae have a planktonic phase of about a month. Where would that out your local ones as coming from ? (assuming for arguments sake that there was no significant movement of adults? ).

I think maybe there are quite a lot of lobsters that are just too big to get in a pot on the grounds, the same on the wrecks and there are hundreds of wrecks along this coast, the U boats were very busy in this area.

How did they over fish the lobsters your end in the sixtys, it's hard to imagine ground could be fished any harder than the limited amount of ground in this area .

I know I keep banging on about it but I think the lobsters are doing well for the same reason the bass are, with the mild winters of late they have had some very good and consistant recruitment years.

I agree with you about the big lobsters that are unable to get into pots, and that there are plenty of wrecks about. What happens when they get targeted in a big way though? Might be okay while its just a few of you using tangle nets, but what happens when boats are driven from other fisheries and it gets serious?

The overfishing was not in my local patch, but way up in Shetland. The whitefish fleet hit crisis because they could not sell what they caught and the result was a load of 60ft boats turning to the creels :blink: . Shetland seems to be at the limits for lobster (you don't see many in dives, and when you do get them, they tend to be big, unlike here where lobsters are everywhere IME) and they were not able to withstand that fishing pressure.

Im sure your right, and the same factors currently favouring the bass also aid the lobster.

How you view that is going to vary. To use Leons usual bank example, IMHO they dug into the capital to survive and at the end of the day both the fishermen and the lobsters are still here. That survival allowed a thriving culture to continue; one that these days is investing in science, education, music and practical ideas like lobster stock enhancement, fish farming and alternative energy sources.

Its a funny old world. Whats that zen thing about a falling tree and anyone about to hear it? :)

Help predict climate change!

http://climateprediction.net

its a good job there wasnt any salmon in there theyd have got life

http://www.newsandstar.co.uk/news/viewarticle.aspx?id=307766

Sorry Maximo, i somehow missed your post and you nailed it in one! :D What the anti terrorism squad would give for the powers that MP's for some strange reason put in Salmon legislation :)

Winter or Big Cod. Got to ask, but that incident with the boat being taken in at "gunpoint" and the crew held. The skippers account rang true to me at the time, while the official responses stank. Don't need details, but am i totally wrong on that?

Help predict climate change!

http://climateprediction.net

Guest Feels like Winter to me

Well, The navey deny it. The skipper swears it's true. For what its worth I b elieve it. I,ve heared a similer story before (only a story mind I never witnessed it) of armed officers. Twice infact. Once when they caught 2 scottish boats landing black fish at endeavour wharf and another occasion around the same time as the initial inquiry into this black fish case. a few people swear they witnessed it.

To the best of my Knowledge the thing is ongoing. No apology as yet but also no charges. Not sure if anyone else has any more detail.

Edited by Feels like Winter to me

Guest binatone
BINITONE :lol::lol::lol: you are really good entertainment mate .

Why thanks big cod.

Does that mean that I get the job as quiz master?

Can I pick the audience and players in what would be a colourful evening to say the least.

Please bring your mate who now says I am Derek? I hope he doesn’t mean Derek whose brother has an amphibious ice cream van?

The lad on the north alwyn said he is from boro I think.

Why thanks big cod.

Does that mean that I get the job as quiz master?

Can I pick the audience and players in what would be a colourful evening to say the least.

Please bring your mate who now says I am Derek? I hope he doesn’t mean Derek whose brother has an amphibious ice cream van?

The lad on the north alwyn said he is from boro I think.

Is there much of a market for ice creams under the water?

Skippy

So many questions so little time....

Guest Feels like Winter to me

There is at Robin hoods bay. Have you not seen the ice cream van on the scar at high tide??? I was trying to park on the slipway one night when the tide was just leaving. Imagine my surprise when an Ice cream van came round the corner off the scar and drove up the slipway.

Edited by Feels like Winter to me