Net Closed On Whitby Trawlermeb

Leon Roskilly

Ken, sorry I should have been more precise. What I meant was in the past you have made comment that illegal fishing probably isnt that big a problem. I just wondered if you still thought that were true.

To the best of my knowledge I do not think the above is correct, or maybe you are thinking of someone else.

I am one of very few who have admitted on this forum that I have reported suspect fishing activities to DEFRA and my local SFC.

I fish, I catches a few, I lose a few, BUT I enjoys. Anglers Trust PM

eat.gif

http://www.petalsgardencenter.com

Petals Florist

• Replies 108
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Feels like Winter to me
An additional comment came from around the table to indicate this was very much the case in the UK and certainly along the Yorkshire coast where fishermen were aiming to protect stocks and that it was no longer in their interests or possible to under-record fish (this final comment came from one of those Whitby fishermen in court over the last couple of days). And they wonder why nobody believes or trusts them anymore.

You should read what he writes in the local paper the Whitby Gazzette and I think they actually believe him. Is this his first fisheries offence???

Doctor, May I ask in what capacity you were in court please?

---------------------------------------------------------------------------

Ive had me thinking cap on overnight and been thinking about this 8000 pound per year salary thing. My salary is just over 11 thousand, we live off family credit. I struggle to support 2 kids. Yesterday I saw the wife of one of these guys at the petrol station, I know who she is as she is a friend of my partner, in a brand new private number plated mercedes. Now I couldnt afford the fuel she put in that car and allegedly our income is higher than thiers. Again - Surreal

"Almost an entire fishing port's trawler fleet has been fined over £122,800 for breaching government fishing regulations putting and stocks at risk. "

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/uk_news/england...ire/4489914.stm

TL - leon

Bloody good job, it comes down to sheer greed and irresponsibility!

Lets grab all the fish, bugger everyone else, and who cares if the fish can't recover.

Unless the sods are stopped all our seas will be barren, but let's also get the Foreigners as well!

To the best of my knowledge I do not think the above is correct, or maybe you are thinking of someone else.

I am one of very few who have admitted on this forum that I have reported suspect fishing activities to DEFRA and my local SFC.

Hi Ken Sorry I should have took some time to go back and see what it was you said. I'm the first to complain when Jaffa says Ive said something I havent.

This is what you said in post 38 of the alliance thread ( www.anglersnet.co.uk/forums/index.php?showtopic=7136&hl=alliance&st=20 ) : "I don't think the black market issue is wide spread amongst commercials. The operation would have to be large enough to justify the risk of getting caught."

I suppose my question is do you still think it isnt widespread ?

But how do they survive off 9 grand Max??? And the people I'm talking about Have a family, flash car, big house and Lavish lifestyle. I cant do that on 3 grand more.

Guest binatone
Just to add a couple of answers and make a couple of points!!!!

Yes I was in sunny Hull today, and yesterday and the day before and the d.......................

Why Now? well I think someone commented earlier that HM government appear to have bigger balls than in yesteryear (or words to that effect). The truth is that fish stocks and marine resources are not considered by all and sundry to be the sole property of the commercial sector of 'The Industry'. There has been a mind shift in DEFRA (well some of the ministers at least) with regard to the best value usage of our publically owned resources, and if we are to head off critisism from other member states then we really have to get our own house in order, something that has been a long time coming, but is beginning to actually happen.

Many people have asked the question why now, the answer is quite simple; why would the EU and member states (including the UK) spend a lot of time, effort and money on a recovery plan, whilst incurring hardship on white fish communities, in order to try and recover the cod stocks through the cod recovery programme and ignore the enforcement side of the equation. The truth is that if cod recovery is to be acheived there must be total compliance, if the ICES scientists believe that cod stocks are at a certain level, the EU commission then does a deal to allow a certain TAC, this TAC is taken up by the member states, usually in its entirity. However, when some states are taking a considerable amount more, then the only viable option is to reduce further the TAC, lets say that the TAC is 27,300 tonnes in 2004/05, the full TAC is taken up, but some fishermen (lets say in Whitby for example) are taking additional cod out of the biomass which is not accounted for, lets say as a conservative guestimate 200 tonnes. If a number of fleets are doing this then the reason that cod recovery is not working is that the real take is in the region of 35,000 tonnes, just short of the actual spawning stock biomass. There is in the North Sea a significant missing component, this is when the projected SSB is taken into account, coupled with landings, natural mortality and discards; there is still a large chunk of the stock(s) missing. I wonder where that went then.

I recently attended a meeting in Brussels where cod recovery was discussed, a comment was made from the UK delegation, that compliance was almost 100%, which is not considered to be the case for other member states. An additional comment came from around the table to indicate this was very much the case in the UK and certainly along the Yorkshire coast where fishermen were aiming to protect stocks and that it was no longer in their interests or possible to under-record fish (this final comment came from one of those Whitby fishermen in court over the last couple of days). And they wonder why nobody believes or trusts them anymore.

Enforcement is the key to sustainable fisheries management, there can never be any justification for under recording or the landing of illegal fish by who ever, or whatever size of boat. I for one applaud the efforts of the SFI or as we should now call them the marine agency, long may it continue, and hopefully the commercial sector will get the point very very quickly.

Just because the SFI have been lax in the past does not excuse a continuation of ineffective enforcement, they have a lot of catching up to do.

Cheers

Doc.

And why do you think that the SFI have been so lax in the past then doc?

You’re not going to tell me that they did not know anything of what was going on?

Why has this case and other high profile cases now come to court?

Surely it has nothing to do with the negotiations that have been going on in Brussels this week?

Surely it has nothing to do with European deadlines on the implementation of the rules that we have to adder to unless the government’s negotiation team will not have the accountability to bargain with?

Ineffective enforcement? Allowable enforcement? Or helping to retain a non revocable rebate?

O yes doc if you where in court, did DEFRA release the names of there informants?

Guest binatone
like i said there must be ways to do it ,i dont think they were on the fiddle and took it as being legit.

Wages of commercial fishermen change so much on a weekly basis, never mind an annual one.

I earned as much if not more in the late eighties than I have done in the last few years.

I have had one year when have earned eight grand, followed by a year when have earned thirty plus grand.

Also because of having an unreliable income, like any self employed, you tend to save when ever you can.

Fortunately my wife has a good income.

Driving a flash car and having your solicitor state that you earn between 8 and 20 grand does not mean that you are on the fiddle.

I can assure you those fishermen that have something to show for there years of dedication to there industries have earned it.

ive never been self employed or had a business binatone so maybe i shouldnt have said out.but usually the folk driving flash cars have money,not always as some folk like to live in debt.but can you not offset your tax bill by spending some income.