Winter Pike

Newt

Hoppy4 is having some PC issues and sent me the following to post. For any who aren't familiar with him, he's an American who has been living and working for the US military in Germany for many years. I have not met him in person yet but hope to do so at some point. He's been active on angling forums since the old Carp.net days when Budgie & I also met. The write-up is his. The pics were taken using his camera but by another angler who happened to be in the area.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I got this one today at 12 O'Clock. It was the only fish that I caught, but it was a Great Day of fishing. I was using a plastic fish lure and the fish took it at about 20 yd. out. It took me 10 minutes to get it to the shore and then the work begin. The net was wrapped on itself as I had been walking and casting for about an hour. I was more than glad that the hook held as the fish kept getting out of the side of the net. When I got the net under it, the head came out and it was under the edge of the bank. I then took my hand and moved it around the head and it was finally over. I brought it up the hill and sat it on the snow so that I could get my rod and rucksack.

The photos were taken and the fish was released back into the water. I packed up and headed home! The fish was 1 meter 15 long and weighed 20 kg. which is 44 lb. and 43in. long by our values. This may have been my last time out for this year, but then again, maybe!!!!!!!

hoppy4_a.jpg

hoppy4_b.jpg

hoppy4_c.jpg

" My choices in life were either to be a piano player in a whore house or a politician. And to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference!" - Harry Truman, 33rd US President

• Replies 141
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

No wonder he's smiling thats a cracking fish. In fact I'd say it was a fish of a lifetime, well done that man.

A lure caught fish in Winter conditions, I bet that goes a long way to squash the oft held idea that lures are no good for winter fishing

44lbs........right you are.

¤«Thʤ«PÔâ©H¤MëíTë®»¤

Click HERE for in-fighting, scrapping, name-calling, objectional and often explicit behaviour and cakes. Mind your tin-hat

Click HERE for Tench Fishing World forums

Playboy.jpg

LandaPikkoSig.jpg

"I envy not him that eats better meat than I do, nor him that is richer, or that wears better clothes than I do. I envy nobody but him, and him only, that catches more fish than I do"

...Izaac Walton...

"It looked a really nice swim betwixt weedbed and bank"

...Vagabond...

Hate to be the one to say it Hoppy and I dont want to be controversial, but that fish is nowhere near 20kg. I'd put it closer to 10Kg. It has neither the length or the depth for a 40lb plus fish. Its still a nice fish but I'm sorry mate, it just doesnt get close to a 40.

'I've got a mind like a steel wassitsname'

Normally when people doubt the size of a 60lb carp,150lb cat or 40lb pike I ask "how many of you have actualy seen a fish of this size" In this case (although my question is still valid) I will ask "how many of you have actually seen Hoppy?" I will bet my family jewels it is less than can answer "yes" to my first question!!

Not only have I known James for several years I have also had the pleasure to have fished with him to. He is a giant of a man! and an absolute gentleman. I wouldnt doubt the claimed weight of this fish.

Next time we speak I wont be listening to him trying to persuade me to take him some where exotic in the world after giant cats....NO way, I will be badgering him to put me up for a few weeks next winter at his place!

James well done on a great fish mate.Looks like you (quite rightly) realy enjoyed it.Hope fully speak soon.

And thats my "non indicative opinion"!

I've just had the same row over on the PnP forum Budgie. I don't know the guy in question, but I get sick and tired of explaining to people that it's simply impossible to judge a fish's size from a photograph without knowing the angler. Too many self elected experts I think. Nice to hear a view from someone who's actually seen a 40+ pike.

Slodger (Chris Hammond.)

'We should be fishin'

I note from the discussion on P&P that Eddie Turner who has probably had more 30lb plus fish than anyone in the UK with the exception of Nigel Williams, is saying that the fish is sub 30lbs.

Leaving aside any comparative information re Hoppy's size in relation to the fish, it's 43 inches long with no noticeably excess girth. Fred Bullers table of length/weight puts a fish with a 43 inch overall length at a mean average weight of 25.25lb. In 3/4 months time full of spawn, it might well weigh 6/8 lbs more, but this fish right now is not of excessive girth. You don't need Hoppy's size to know that, you can see that its a fairly slim fish. Solid, but not fat like a reservoir lump. So I'll stick to my original view.

Heres the only fish that I bothered to measure as well as weigh. Its 44inches overall and it weighed 27.5lb

Thames pike 2

I'm six feet tall by the way,.

post-4124-1133657301_thumb.jpg

Edited by argyll

'I've got a mind like a steel wassitsname'