Whitby's Law Breaking Fishermen Are Not Dishonest

Guest Feels like Winter to me

Article from todays Whitby Gazette.

A defence of Whitby's fishermen who were fined last week for illegal fishing was made in the house of commons on wednesday by whitby's MP Robert Goodwill.

In a speach during the annual fisheries dabate, Mr Goodwill said " I must stress these fishermen are not dishonest men, They are decent men driven to dishonesty by the CFP".

PArt of the Policy resulted in fishermen in Scotland, wales and northern ireland being given cash compensation for loss of earnings brought about by cuts in thier quota - the amount of fish they are aloud to catch.

But the English treasury refused to compensate English fishermen.

Whitby's Arnold LOcker who was fined £52,500 last week told the gazette. "If we had got the same as the Scottish fishermen it would have been enough to tide us over in 2003, the year we ran out of quota".

"We managed untill August that year and that money would have kept us going untill the end of the year .

As it was we couldnt keep going any longer but we still had mortgages on our boats and homes to pay. Now were regarded as criminals".

"But were very greatful to Robert Goodwill and very pleased that he brought up our case in the house of commons".

Mr Goodwill said that "the fishermen of the north east have been treated desperately unfairly by this government. They seem happy to see the English fleet decline whilst the Scottish, Welsh and Irish are helped to keep going."

"What is the point of trying to build up the fish stocks if at the end of the day we have no fishing fleet left to catch them with?"

"I have invited the fisheries minister to come to Whitby and see the situation himself but sadly I seem to be knocking my head against a brick wall."

Edited by Feels like Winter to me

• Replies 119
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Dont know anything about the subsidies. Is it true then?

Does sound a bit of a raw deal.

Edited by Feels like Winter to me

Move to Scotland? They dont have tuition fees either and have free OAP care. You takes your choice?

dan

Fair comment. Im glad views like Sharkbytes are not mirrored up here. Doubt they would be mirrored in any country with good fish stocks FWIW either ;):D

Whitby drop dead. You are of no interest to "real" England?

Reckon we should move the border south to the Tyne :D ?

Help predict climate change!

http://climateprediction.net

What is the point of trying to build up the fish stocks if at the end of the day we have no fishing fleet left to catch them with

Only the most selfish industry in the UK could come up with a gem like that.

Whether there are or aren't any commercials / anglers fishing the sea's, should they not have a healthy stock of fish anyway?

This statement really proves that the commercial fishing industry believes that they have the divine right to take it if its there.

Jaffa, you support a dinosaur of an industry and as such I hope extinction is on the cards for much of it, sooner rather than later!