Whitby's Law Breaking Fishermen Are Not Dishonest

Guest Feels like Winter to me

Hello Ryford

Being self employed as well, I understand what you mean about getting over the Christmas period without earning.

It's not only the Chistmas period but we will have at least 3 months of slack earnings now depending on the weather. Then theres the cost of having the boat lifted out for it's anual refit, but as I was quite greedy and worked hard through the summer Ive hopefully got enough in the kitty to see me through, if I have not saved enough then it's tough, I don't know of any propping up money to bail me out.

I fish to live and live to fish.

• Replies 119
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Does anyone know what Mr goodwill means when he suggests all the other Uk countries except England get a subsidy and would this really have been enough to stop what happened or would the Whitby fishermen still wanted more.

It really worries me When the NFFO president Arnold Locker says these men may have to break the law again. What hope for a NEW BETTER FUTURE IN THIS SITUATION ?

I Know nothing of any subsidy, it might have been just a white fish thing.

Binatone might be able to shed some light on the subject.

It seems there is no shortage of quota available, these days they are buying and leaseing days allowed at sea.

These days it's a case of " you don't have to be rich to be a fisherman but if you are it certainly helps"

Every thing has to be paid for with what comes out of the cod end,

The price of quota and days is an extra cost, a cost that never used to be there.If your boat is all paid for, your house morgage paid, wife working, a lot of cases the wives earn more than the fishermen, and you've got a bit put by, then you can cover it.

If you have large bank repayments on the boat, a house morgage, wife at home looking after the kids and not much in the kitty then you stand a good chance of being forced out.

It's the same for big boats as it is for smaller boats only the amounts differ.

I fish to live and live to fish.

Do they give subsidies to those barges that move rocks about the north sea for building sea defences????

I think someone already told us how the self employed can make themselves look poor on paper wurzel.

Strange how noone knows of this subsidy thing ??? Another fabrication like the year class a thousands times bigger than any other for 10 years.

Strange how noone knows of this subsidy thing ??? Another fabrication like the year class a thousands times bigger than any other for 10 years.

Winter, the Scots did get an aid package which, as i understand it, was split between money for decommissiong vessels and a "transistional" aid so the rest could survive. There was a lot of arguement about it at the time, as the Scottish executive put most of the cash towards the decommissioning part, while the industry wanted most in transistional aid. This was meant to help ensure some of the fleet survived what were huge cuts in cod quota from 2003 on. Uptake on the decommissioning has been high and i heard that Lerwick alone has lost 10 boats. I have no idea if England, Wales and Northern Ireland did anything similar.

Help predict climate change!

http://climateprediction.net

Jaffa,

Funnily enough I don't have a problem with sustainable commercial whaling. Before I get piloried, I should qualify what I mean by that. I have no problem with indiginous communities that take whales as part of their culture continuing to do so, provided it is properly regulated. We should not forget the massive amount of unregulated culling that went on in context with their reproductive capacity to replenish. The felling of Californian red wood could be made sustainable, but it would probably end up at one every thousand years or so. Its all relative.

I went to St Vincent in the Carribean some years ago and whaling was part of their culture. They take very little as there is a very limited export market, not surprisingly, and very few are actually taken. I guess I'm one of the very few on this forum that have actually eaten whale meat.

As regards the WWF paper, I hope that they have either got it wrong for the North Sea or Jo Borg has one or two tricks up his sleeve.

I doubt either as the author is much too bright and the commissions and member states management of the CFP speaks for itself.

andyR

Andy, surely you can get sustainable whaling, carried out by say Northern Europeons and the Japanese and non sustainable whaling by indiginous communities? Does you definition of indiginous communities include fishermen in Northern Norway, or the Faroese?

What was whale meat like btw?

I hope the paper was too pessimistic too but I think the guy is spot on when he says that the buck stops with the goverment, that they have had plenty of warning, and that finance is a central plank of any attempt to preserve fish stocks.

Jo Borg is no doubt a very clever man but I doubt anyone will ever be able to fix the CFP. I think your earlier comment, assuming that Europeon policy was all about weight of protein at the quayside, is way off the mark; its "policy" is surely always whatever emerges from that complex power play between different, and sometimes incompatible self interests.

Denmark has (or did until the recent collapse) half of all landings from the North Sea; in the form of the industrial fishing for meal and oil. Spain has huge power in fishing, and a huge fleet, spread out across the globe; as ever, Its involved in serious disputes with Canada, Norway, Russia and many third world countries. Austria has no fishing fleet but does have a voice and big concerns about immigration atm. Add in all the rest with their specific concerns, and the different relative importance of fishing to their economies and it gets hard to imagine an idea of a coherent policy :(

Help predict climate change!

http://climateprediction.net

If the MP Robert Goodwill thinks it's alright for the Whitby fishing guys to break the law on catches, I suggest he encourages them to take salmon and see how far his little 'sound bite' gets him and those determined to finish of the fisheries for once and all.

BTW, Whitby used to be one of the main UK whaling ports.

It also, in common with many other east coast ports, used to be a herring fishing center.

PArt of the Policy resulted in fishermen in Scotland, wales and northern ireland being given cash compensation for loss of earnings brought about by cuts in thier quota - the amount of fish they are aloud to catch.

Wurzel, are you blind?

As for the 'sad git' comment I'll let it ride for the time being in the interests of a 'peaceful forum'.

The last figures I saw indicated 1.4bn euros of EU taxpayers money were handed over each year to support the fishing industry.

Worldwide figures around US$ 15 billion.

Humiliating, you bet.

If you feel you require some compo, I'll give you a tenner but I'll have your prop. For £100, I'll take your engine.

In a speach during the annual fisheries dabate, Mr Goodwill said " I must stress these fishermen are not dishonest men, They are decent men driven to dishonesty by the CFP".

If this statement had been made by either Jaffa, Binatone, Wurzel or myself, many of the members of the forum who comment on the political threads would have been queuing up to spit venom at that person, with responses like, “total rubbish”, “greedy”, “lying, untrustworthy and irresponsible commercial fishermen”, to quote but a few insults already used on this forum in recent times. But as yet no one has commented on this particular statement.

I am puzzled. Could somebody please explain this apparent difference in the anglers’ perception of credibility, depending on who is making the statement? Do politicians have some influence over RSA that I am not yet aware of?

JB

John Brennan and Michele Wheeler, Whitby

http://www.chieftaincharters.com