Opinions please - fly fishing outfits

Newt

I am planning to add rods to my eBay shop and I have some low cost, starter/travel fly fishing outfits in mind but while I have a pretty good feel for what spinning and multiplier rods to list, I am at a loss about fly rods. I simply don't know a thing about the UK market for fly fishing gear.

All of the following are low cost outfits of decent quality but I would love opinions about there possibly being a UK market for them or not.

Pflueger (old time US company that makes decent gear including rods & lures)

£49 (plus £14 shipping) 5/6 wt carbon fibre rod; 8 ft 3 piece. Includes a metal, single action reel, floating fly line, tapered leader, and a small fly assortment (I'm not sure exactly which patterns or how many but some standards).

White River (makes a variety of lower cost fly fishing items - not Sage or Orvis but good)

£89 (plus £14 shipping) 8'6" 5 wt 5 piece rod of IM-6 graphite (carbon fibre and good quality), metal disk drag reel with backing and wt forward line, leader, and carrying case.

£89 (plus £16 shipping) Fly/spin combo (converts quickly from fly rod to spinning rod). 7'6" carbon fibre travel rod with reversable handle to convert from 6 wt fly rod to spinning rod for 1/32 - 3/8 oz lures. Includes a spinning reel, metal spring&pawl fly reel with backing & wt forward line, and carrying case.

" My choices in life were either to be a piano player in a whore house or a politician. And to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference!" - Harry Truman, 33rd US President

Hmmm - no responses.

Does that mean no opinions (unheard of on AN), too little info, or a general YUCK but too polite to say so?

" My choices in life were either to be a piano player in a whore house or a politician. And to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference!" - Harry Truman, 33rd US President

Hmmm - no responses.

Does that mean no opinions (unheard of on AN), too little info, or a general YUCK but too polite to say so?

OK, then! I wonder perhaps whether the people most inclined to buy stuff mail order from the US aren't the beginners looking for starter kits, but more experienced anglers looking to pick up fancy gear at bargain prices. Also, I'd have to say, the prices look a bit, well, steep, compared to the combo deals you can get over here these days. Have a look at http://www.fishingmegastore.com/acatalog/F...ng_Outfits.html (our biggest online volume dealer, I believe) or deals like this one from Mullarkeys to see the sort of thing I mean. When you can get an all-Orvis combo for not too much more than £100, a White River rod and un-named reel for only a little bit less doesn't sound that enticing. Sorry to be such a misery…

Mmmm, yeah.

I think Yorkio has expressed my thoughts also, but (option 3) I was reluctant to water your bonfire.

RNLI Governor

World species 471 : UK species 105 : English species 95 .

Certhia's world species - 215

Eclectic "husband and wife combined" world species 501

"Nothing matters very much, few things matter at all" - Plato

...only things like fresh bait and cold beer...

Thanks to you both and water on my fire is much appreciated. Better now than later since in this case, research wasn't doing much good.

I wasn't finding much but couldn't tell if it was a lack of interest or something else.

I can now put this particular brainstorm away in the Bad-Idea locker along with others that proved to be no-go.

Mmmm, yeah.

I think Yorkio has expressed my thoughts also, but (option 3) I was reluctant to water your bonfire.

Was relucant to say anything :rolleyes: did not want to appear rude.

So much stuff around at reasonable prices these days,think the above outfits would bomb here.Pfluger do a nice reel over here,sold under the Shakespeare flag, but its a mid price aluminium reel.

With the influx of rods and reels from China,some of which are nice quality,some excellent it would have been hard to sell those i think.

Again, I appreciate the feedback.

I occasionally post asking for opinions and in all cases, negative opinions are at least as valuable as positive ones and usually more so.

I'd much rather know an item is unlikely to sell at this stage rather than after buying one, spending time to photograph, and then spending more in listing fees. I don't mind so much with coarse gear or lure gear since I will happily use it myself (and it makes a nice way to avoid upsetting the wife by buying yet another rod, reel, lure, etc.) but I don't fly fish.

Again, I appreciate the feedback.

I occasionally post asking for opinions and in all cases, negative opinions are at least as valuable as positive ones and usually more so.

I'd much rather know an item is unlikely to sell at this stage rather than after buying one, spending time to photograph, and then spending more in listing fees. I don't mind so much with coarse gear or lure gear since I will happily use it myself (and it makes a nice way to avoid upsetting the wife by buying yet another rod, reel, lure, etc.) but I don't fly fish.

Hi Newt I have been thinking about this I would suggest stock the Lureflash range (I have nothing to do with this supplier) I use 99% of there gear in fact they call me Mr Lurflash at my water; The rods are ecellent and have good blanks and the whole sale prices are second to none.

Many want to come into fly fishing but are put off by the high cost of equipment I have used the well known expensive rods and found no difference in there performance as compared to my cheaper rods which i reguarly catch with they only difference in my opinion is cosmetics and the name on the tube.

So perhaps you would be better of stocking the lesser known makes such as Lureflash who supply superb starter kits for under £100.

http://www.fly-fishing-tackle.co.uk/acatalog/Lureflash.html

Dave

Tight loops

Edited by Troller

Target fish: Anything!

Thanks Dave. I'm in the States and Lureflash seems to be UK stocked so the round trip shipping (I won't sell what I don't have on hand) would be way too much.

I may have a closer look at more of the White River rods though. Very high quality for their price.

Thanks Dave. I'm in the States and Lureflash seems to be UK stocked so the round trip shipping (I won't sell what I don't have on hand) would be way too much.

I may have a closer look at more of the White River rods though. Very high quality for their price.

Yes UK based Newt I am also in the UK

Good luck

Dave

Target fish: Anything!