Sos Rod Auction

Fastd

Save Our Sharks are pleased to annouce a fund raising auction of three new boat fishing rods. These rods have been donated by Alba Rods to help raise funds to help Save Our Sharks.

They are hand built from the finest materials and are backed by a manufacturers lifetime guarantee which should give you an idea of the quality of these rods.

Get yourself a top quality boat rod and help us to fight the case for recreational sea angling in the uk in with the bargain.

Have a look at the ebay site here. For the 12-20 class rod.

Here for the 50lb class rod.

Here for the 30lb class rod

Happy bidding

Dave

Edited by Fastd

Save Our Sharks Member

www.save-our-sharks.org

These rods have been donated by Alba Rods

So why is there a reserve price on the Rods at auction on E Bay.

Surely any funds raised through donated gifts would be appreciated.

Is this another money making scam in the making. SOS :angry:

Cheers 4 Now

John E

ANBanna.gif

John,

I did not personally put the items on ebay but relied on someone who deals on ebay with a good feed back to put them there for me.

"is it just another money making scam?" ....well We sincerely hope it makes money...I cant understand how the word "another" got in there as this is our first opportunity to raise funds other than the donations we have had from members.

Every penny from the auction (including the listing fees as these have been contributed by the person listing the rods) will go into helping SOS. If it helps the reserve is at £50 because these are quality items and personally i would not like them to go for anything less. If they dont make £50 each i will buy every one for £51 each and be smiling about it :D

Dave

SOS Member.

www.save-our-sharks.org

Edited by Fastd

Save Our Sharks Member

www.save-our-sharks.org

Hi John

These rods have an RRP of well over £100. With an Ebay auction it is possible they could sell for a tenner which would be an insult to Stan who has kindly donated them. If they don't meet the reserve we will have to have a rethink.

www.ssacn.org

www.tagsharks.com

www.onyermarks.co.uk

John,

may I also take the opportunity to alleviate any concerns you may have over the rod auction being, quote:-

"another money making scam in the making".

1) I run a legitemate business and would not be involved in any scam.

2) I am a member of SOS and on their committe and would not be so if I thought there was an involvement

in any scam.

3) Neither I, my business, nor any member of SOS will make a single penny from the auction of the rods.

4) I personally allocate around 8 - 9 rods per year for competition prizes in UK and elsewhere. This year a

few of these competitions have been cancelled so the SOS auction seemed like a reasonable and

worthwhile alternative for rods already earmarked for non-profit making purposes.

Whilst it is perfectly reasonable for you to make a genuine query regarding any subject which concerns you

I feel that your choice of wording could be more considered where business interests are involved. Not only my own but quite a few members of SOS also have varied buisness interests. On a final note, like Ian, I had no involvement in any of the rods being placed on E Bay however I can agree with Ian that without a reserve the very nature of E Bay could mean that the itens could well sell below carriage value, (which is paid in full by my business, not from any payment SOS may receive)

Stan.

Postage costs: £10.00 -- Parcelforce 24

Whilst it is perfectly reasonable for you to make a genuine query regarding any subject which concerns you

I feel that your choice of wording could be more considered where business interests are involved. Not only my own but quite a few members of SOS also have varied buisness interests. On a final note, like Ian, I had no involvement in any of the rods being placed on E Bay however I can agree with Ian that without a reserve the very nature of E Bay could mean that the itens could well sell below carriage value,(which is paid in full by my business, not from any payment SOS may receive)

I'm not pointing the finger at any individual of money making scams, try looking at it from the outside.

For a donated gift to be put up for auction, with a reserve price, devalues the gift. Surely to start off at zero would then find the true value of the Gift.

If I put a bid in for £30, I'm being told it's not good enough for SOS.

If the rod is sold for £150, are SOS going to give the winning bid £50 rebate.

My point being, you can't put a price on a true Gift.

Cheers 4 Now

John E

ANBanna.gif

My point being, you can't put a price on a true Gift.

Maybe not but putting minimum bids on items at a charity auction is usual and that's basically what this is.

" My choices in life were either to be a piano player in a whore house or a politician. And to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference!" - Harry Truman, 33rd US President

How on earth does a reserve price devalue a gift ? Its precisely the opposite. This is not an opportunity to get a rod 'on the cheap', its an opportunity to raise as much money as possible. If the rods sell for above what any individual would like to pay then tough. I personally would like to see them sell for above their retail value. That means someone sees the purchase as a donation to a worthy cause rather than a chance to get a rod for peanuts.

Lastly I think Stan's very generous gesture of donating tackle worth over £300 should get a well deserved pat on the back? Nice to see someone putting their money in place of their mouth. I just can't believe that anyone would want to put a negative slant on this.

Edited by argyll

'I've got a mind like a steel wassitsname'