Ebola

Ken L

Snakey,

A question best answered by Google I suppose. It is nearly impossible to attach a true and honest figure to my claim (what's new?).

Europe met the Americas in 1492. Estimated population of American Indians (in fact in all of the Americas) is 20 - 100 million.

The USA was founded in 1776, almost 300 years later. Estimated Native population at that time of about 300,000.

It is estimated that 97% of those who died between 1492 and 1776 were from disease.

An equal number are likely to have parished in South and Central America.

You may quote me - Phone - an expert on carp and the death of the native population with the introduction of Englishmen. If incorrect it is not my most outrageous claim - in fact I kinda believe this claim is pretty close.

Phone

If recollection serves me - something similar happend in the polynesian region of the world.

Snakey,

A question best answered by Google I suppose. It is nearly impossible to attach a true and honest figure to my claim (what's new?).

Europe met the Americas in 1492. Estimated population of American Indians (in fact in all of the Americas) is 20 - 100 million.

The USA was founded in 1776, almost 300 years later. Estimated Native population at that time of about 300,000.

It is estimated that 97% of those who died between 1492 and 1776 were from disease.

An equal number are likely to have parished in South and Central America.

You may quote me - Phone - an expert on carp and the death of the native population with the introduction of Englishmen. If incorrect it is not my most outrageous claim - in fact I kinda believe this claim is pretty close.

Phone

If recollection serves me - something similar happend in the polynesian region of the world.

As I say just curious as I couldn't find estimated numbers for north American Indians around the figures you posted only for central (mexico) and as I say smallpox and other such niceties were introduced into the Americas by the Spanish not the English (although the Norse may have bought it in even earlier but there are no records of this).

Measles, whooping cough and others were also effective at reducing their populations

I did find this referenced in one article though "In North America, the Native population is estimated to range from two to 18 million during the time Columbus arrived.

By the end of the 19th century, it had fallen to roughly 530,000"

Snakey,

I wouldn't quibble with your numbers. Nor would I disagree there were culprit other than smallpox. (The Navajo tribe in the Grand Canyon region claim they only died of injury or old age.

Phone

Ohh, I'm not buying tagging the Spanish - Had to be English

Snakey,

If it appears I'm talking "down" I apologize. I have much better luck finding "factual" information on Google SCHOLAR rather than Google Search. Again, if you already use it - I apologize.

Phone

Snakey,

If it appears I'm talking "down" I apologize. I have much better luck finding "factual" information on Google SCHOLAR rather than Google Search. Again, if you already use it - I apologize.

Phone

No worries phone it's always good to have different sources to check info from

• 2 months later...

The last outbreak was only declared over in July and now the bug is back.

It feels like a matter of time before we see a strain capable of causing a major pandemic.

Species caught in 2020: Barbel. European Eel. Bleak. Perch. Pike.

Species caught in 2019: Pike. Bream. Tench. Chub. Common Carp. European Eel. Barbel. Bleak. Dace.

Species caught in 2018: Perch. Bream. Rainbow Trout. Brown Trout. Chub. Roach. Carp. European Eel.

Species caught in 2017: Siamese carp. Striped catfish. Rohu. Mekong catfish. Amazon red tail catfish. Arapaima. Black Minnow Shark. Perch. Chub. Brown Trout. Pike. Bream. Roach. Rudd. Bleak. Common Carp.

Species caught in 2016: Siamese carp. Jullien's golden carp. Striped catfish. Mekong catfish. Amazon red tail catfish. Arapaima. Alligator gar. Rohu. Black Minnow Shark. Roach, Bream, Perch, Ballan Wrasse. Rudd. Common Carp. Pike. Zander. Chub. Bleak.

Species caught in 2015: Brown Trout. Roach. Bream. Terrapin. Eel. Barbel. Pike. Chub.

Fortunately, this outbreak is well away from the 2014-16 epidemic so its unlikely that this strain has spent long enough in humans to start to adapt.

Unfortunately, its in an active conflict zone with large cities.

Species caught in 2019: Pike. Bream. Tench. Chub. Common Carp. European Eel. Barbel. Bleak. Dace.

Species caught in 2018: Perch. Bream. Rainbow Trout. Brown Trout. Chub. Roach. Carp. European Eel.

Species caught in 2017: Siamese carp. Striped catfish. Rohu. Mekong catfish. Amazon red tail catfish. Arapaima. Black Minnow Shark. Perch. Chub. Brown Trout. Pike. Bream. Roach. Rudd. Bleak. Common Carp.

Species caught in 2016: Siamese carp. Jullien's golden carp. Striped catfish. Mekong catfish. Amazon red tail catfish. Arapaima. Alligator gar. Rohu. Black Minnow Shark. Roach, Bream, Perch, Ballan Wrasse. Rudd. Common Carp. Pike. Zander. Chub. Bleak.

Species caught in 2015: Brown Trout. Roach. Bream. Terrapin. Eel. Barbel. Pike. Chub.

From 44 to 55 deaths in four days!....

Given that this outbreak was only identified on the 1st of August and there were only 78 identified cased by 17th of August, this is looking to be a very dangerous strain.