• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Ging

Ging

• Pip
  • 13 posts

Posted 09 April 2014 - 09:50 PM

Hi all

I have been looking into hooks and floats and i have noticed there are many different ones that are the same. Ive been specificaly looking at preston hooks and they have several hooks of the same size with different numbers, where can i find the info about what each of these different hooks are for and why. I have looked on the preston website and found nothing really helpful. 

Also i ask the same question about pole floats. There are several versions of a bodied float or dibber but very little info on why each one is different. 

Any help on this would be excellent. 

Thanks all 

#2 Dick Dastardly

Dick Dastardly

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,060 posts
  • Interests:Fishing,Photography,Internet

Posted 10 April 2014 - 06:24 PM

Lots of different ones so you the customer will buy "lots of different ones"

And thats my "non indicative opinion"!

#3 gozzer

gozzer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,600 posts

Posted 10 April 2014 - 07:36 PM

If you look closely at the hooks, you will see the differences. Eyed/spade end hooks, barbed, barbless, micro-barbed, fine/medium/heavy wire, long/short shank, wide gape, etc, if I listed all the differences I could think of,  this would be a hell of a long post, and I'd probably still miss a few out! Whether all these are needed, is up to the individual, I personally don't think so, but that's just me. 

On this link they give a description of the hook and it's intended use. http://www.prestonin...ucts/Hooks-Line  

It's the same with the floats, again many different types, each with different conditions, type of fishery, style of fishing, in mind.

In your introduction post, you said you're just coming back into fishing after a long absence. Well, the fish themselves haven't changed, and the things you did before, will still catch. If I were you, I'd start off doing what I know best, and gradually wean yourself into the modern stuff, if, or when, you feel you need it.  I'd also take up the offer from the guy who offered to take you, and show you the ropes, it's usually easier to show someone what to do, than explain it.

In the mean time if you post what type of fishing you are interested in, someone on here will have done it, and can advise.

John. 

Angling is more than just catching fish, if it wasn't it would just be called 'catching'......... John

#4 Phone

Phone

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,836 posts

Posted 10 April 2014 - 10:43 PM

Ging,

hookpoints.jpg

Sort of what gozzer was talking about.  But in truth Dick Dastardly is right.

And then of course you move over the sea fishing - then fly fishing and then---------

You can thumb through this site - they have most stuff  http://www.mustad.no...ks/hook-anatomy

Does anyone know if Preston makes their own hooks or are they made "to specification" by tiemco

Phone

#5 Steve Walker

Steve Walker

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,474 posts
  • Interests:Coarse, game and sea angling. Cars, gardening, cooking, lousy guitar playing. Stuff.

Posted 11 April 2014 - 12:10 AM

Personally, some of the waters I fish mandate barbless, but I sometimes want a micro-barbed hook where permitted. Then I want light gauge versions for presentation and heavy gauge versions for strength. I want spade-ends size 14 and up and eyed size 16 and down - note the overlap. I want a simple J shaped eyed hook for flake and worm, and a hook designed for hair rigging with a curved shank and a turned out eye.

Then there are hooks for fly fishing, wets, dries, emergers, buzzers, shrimps, lures...

#6 Ging

Ging

• Pip
  • 13 posts

Posted 11 April 2014 - 12:35 AM

thanks to everyone for the replies keep em coming they are very helpful (more helpful than the shop owner than told me they are just serial numbers and mean nothing)

To John, I still use some of the old methods but i want to learn as much as i can and maybe enter a few competitions when i get a little better, ive just found that some people are not helpful and act like they are silly questions. As for the style of fishing i fish feeder float and pole. Finally i don't think he will take me fishing, i got the impression it was more of an offer to get me to stop asking questions as he couldn't be bothered.

TO Phone, thanks you link is helpful and i have noticed that there is a lot more out there now compared to when i was a kid when your choice was eyed or spade end. 

To everyone, Thanks so much for your responses. This is the most help ive had since returning and im overwhelmed that you are all willing to help so much. Please keep to responses coming they are a great help (And Ill remember this when i get signed by Preston or Browning lol) 

#7 Steve Walker

Steve Walker

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,474 posts
  • Interests:Coarse, game and sea angling. Cars, gardening, cooking, lousy guitar playing. Stuff.

Posted 11 April 2014 - 09:02 PM

Their range of barbless hooks gives some guidance to usage, but to be honest a lot of it is personal taste / prejudice.

http://www.prestonin...e/PR-400-Series

#8 Steve Walker

Steve Walker

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,474 posts

Posted 11 April 2014 - 09:04 PM

If you go to the Drennan site and have a look around the "hooks" section, they give a lot more explanation of what their patterns are meant for, and why;

http://drennantackle.com/thelatest/

You might need to enable blocked content in your browser to get it all to display properly.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Hooks, Floats